WK 7-Houston Texans @ Arizona Cardinals Pre Game Thread Oct 18-Oct 24, 2021

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
NFL Medicial officer saying that Cardinals players & coaches last week had tested postive for 5 different Covid variants according to results!!!

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Keep seeing a lot of the media saying this could be a 40 burger game. Peter Shrager today said it could be 50.

I just don't see that with the TNF game vs GB. If this gets to 27-10 in Q3. Maybe even 24-10. Then I expect to see a lot of Colt McCoy, Jonathan Ward, Vallejo and Elliott etc.

I don't see them keeping starters out enough to make it a huge win. That's why that 17 point line might be a closer call than people think.

I really just want to get out of it with a win and no injuries.
somehow your take was so poor that I could hear your accent on this one...

JK, just pulling some low hanging fruit on a nice Friday morning

iceman25

Reaction score
NFL Medicial officer saying that Cardinals players & coaches last week had tested postive for 5 different Covid variants according to results!!!
WTH! That's insane. I didn't know they could test for the different variants?

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
WTH! That's insane. I didn't know they could test for the different variants?
Apparently NFL did genetic testing to see if outbreak was caused by someone in facility or if it was more community spread which is the case when you got that many variants

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s patently ridiculous. Have you not watched football for that long? Teams don’t rest their starters in the third quarter of any game within two or three scores unless it’s totally meaningless, like in the last week or two of the season and they’ve already clinched a 1 seed.

Saying otherwise has literally no basis in reality.

I didn't say they would rest THE starters. I said they will rest some players. Especially those that Have been beat up or who are key. For example, Byron, Simmons, JJ, Beachum, Edmonds, Nuk, Kyler.

They're not just going to throw the B team in. But I expect them to significantly reduce the snaps for guys they want to protect for Thursday and thus I don;t see a game where we just pull away and win by 30.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This isn’t a meaningless week 16 game.

So you don;t think with the game in hand and a tough TNF game coming up they might reduce snaps late on for guys that have been banged up or who are key?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you don;t think with the game in hand and a tough TNF game coming up they might reduce snaps late on for guys that have been banged up or who are key?

A 14-17 point game is just not considered in hand by ANY team against ANY team at any point in the third quarter.

Maybe... if you’re up 17 with the ball and 5 minutes in the fourth you pull starters. Hell, that could even be somewhat expect, but even if you’re just up 14 with 5 minutes left, no.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Pretty hilarious that were sitting around talking about at what point we should rest our starters... lol..

We're tempting fate a little... :)

this x100.

I really hope they come out aggressive and do not take their foot off the gas and take another pro football team lightly.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
this x100.

I really hope they come out aggressive and do not take their foot off the gas and take another pro football team lightly.
Yeah, I have a feeling Houston could easily cover the spread. I know they just lost 31-3, but it's hard to suck that bad in back-to-back weeks.

You know they will be motivated. Beating the NFL's only undefeated team is the kind of thing that can change the culture of a team.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
You are correct that we don't know what would have happened if these players would have received more snaps sooner. I haven't dug into Murphy's stats to see if they are significantly different last year to this year. I did do that with Simmons and his stats were pretty similar which to me indicates that he is mostly the same player in terms of production.
Situational football chop. I know you don’t like Vance but any decent coach will pick and choose when to put a young guy in.... choosing situations in which the player can be successful

Look at Collins... the other day it seemed like he was in on every big defensive play... always around the ball.... but he only played about twenty snaps...

Rookies developing.... top three defense in points allowed....6-0

Maybe we just have a solid DC that knows what he is doing

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as a Cards fan I never take any game for granted. That said right now my biggest concern sunday is will I have power so I can watch the game. We had heavy rain today and the storm Sunday they're saying will be the biggest one in the bay area in at least 2 years, "atmospheric river storm" and that many places could lose power.

Hoping that doesn't happen.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
as a Cards fan I never take any game for granted. That said right now my biggest concern sunday is will I have power so I can watch the game. We had heavy rain today and the storm Sunday they're saying will be the biggest one in the bay area in at least 2 years, "atmospheric river storm" and that many places could lose power.

Hoping that doesn't happen.
Yeah.... enjoying the rain.... we really needed it.
You should set the game up for streaming on your phone just in case. I watch that way every week. Ain’t as good as the 60” but if 4.5 was good enough for my wives it’s good enough to watch a ballgame on

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There’s only one person talking about pulling starters. Everyone else is telling him that’s ridiculous.

I see the relation to Ouchie.

I said "I don't see them keeping starters out enough to make it a huge win. That's why that 17 point line might be a closer call than people think."

Did you see the enough part? Im not suggesting they are going to sit a bunch of starters. But might Murphy only play half his usual snaps and see Hamilton take some? Might Edmonds sit for Conner with his nagging injury? Might Nuk be protected and instead of playing 95% of snaps play 75%?

And then in Q4 I would expect to see a bunch of McCoy.