Wk 18 Arizona Cardinals off season thread. 05/8/23-5/14/23

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The Cards have never been subtle. They're clearly expecting to shove Gaines directly into the starting lineup at C. You know what? There are worse ideas. We don't have any other real options to start there. Kyler won't be playing, so who cares if some nobody gets killed if Gaines stinks, or while he goes through his growing pains? If this season is good for nothing else, it should be used to evaluate youngsters. I'm good with it. Start Gaines at C, please.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cards have never been subtle. They're clearly expecting to shove Gaines directly into the starting lineup at C. You know what? There are worse ideas. We don't have any other real options to start there. Kyler won't be playing, so who cares if some nobody gets killed if Gaines stinks, or while he goes through his growing pains? If this season is good for nothing else, it should be used to evaluate youngsters. I'm good with it. Start Gaines at C, please.
We are definitely going to see our rookies playing a lot.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think you try to cheaper options first. I would like a veteran, but this is a rebuilding year.

What if, by the midpoint of the season, Gaines starts looking like a keeper at center? He has the athletic tools to excel and has tons of experience starting in college, albeit at guard.

@BritCard stated this in another thread, but generally centers in college were lesser linemen than guards who were smart. This is why you sometimes see NFL teams convert other positions to center because many college centers are more limited athletically. So if a guy can make the move from guard or tackle, it's not a terrible idea

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you try to cheaper options first. I would like a veteran, but this is a rebuilding year.

What if, by the midpoint of the season, Gaines starts looking like a keeper at center? He has the athletic tools to excel and has tons of experience starting in college, albeit at guard.

@BritCard stated this in another thread, but generally centers in college were lesser linemen than guards who were smart. This is why you sometimes see NFL teams convert other positions to center because many college centers are more limited athletically. So if a guy can make the move from guard or tackle, it's not a terrible idea

I'm all for Gaines playing a bunch of games. I'm not sure I'd start him week 1. Ultimately I want him to work out long term and I'm not sure throwing him into the deep end vs one of the best D lines in the league would be confidence building.

I'd be more inclined to start Froholdt and see how he works out. Maybe throw Gaines in for some live reps at G in garbage time and let him feel up to speed before I chuck him in at C.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I'm all for Gaines playing a bunch of games. I'm not sure I'd start him week 1. Ultimately I want him to work out long term and I'm not sure throwing him into the deep end vs one of the best D lines in the league would be confidence building.

I'd be more inclined to start Froholdt and see how he works out. Maybe throw Gaines in for some live reps at G in garbage time and let him feel up to speed before I chuck him in at C.
Nah, if the goal is to have him play Center, have him play Center...don't put him in for reps at Guard, unless it's an injury substitution and he's the only option.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson