With their 2nd round pick the Arizona Cardinals take...

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We've spoken a lot about what to do with pick 3 or 4 and from what I can tell the consensus seems to be,

1. Jalen Carter
2. Will Anderson
3. Trade back
4. OL
5. CB

But I'm curious what people think we should do in round 2 as when I run mocks I kinda get stuck here because the players available where we pick are not really players we need.

The top 6 CB's all go round 1 and best available is Emmanuel Forbes.

It's likely Skoronski, Paris Johnson, Broderick Jones and Anton Harrison are gone at OT and Jaelyn Duncan and Dawand Jones are best remaining. But Harrison could be there.

Carter and Bresee are gone. Likely Siaki Ika too. Gervon Dexter is likely the only guy left worthy of #34.

Rice, Tillman and Flowers are all likely there at WR but it's WR.

The best players most often still available in mocks are safeties Brian Branch and Antonio Johnson but we are set at safety.

At Edge the top 6 guys are likely gone and I'm not sure that guys like BJ Ojulari, Felix Anudike-Uzomah and Andre Carter are better than Cam Thomas and Myjai Sanders.

At RB Jahmyr Gibbs might still be around but after that it's bleugh at RB in round 2.

The best Center likely still there is John Michael Schmitz and I'm not a big fan personally.

It kinda gets a bit ugly after that first pick. It feels like a top heavy or weak class at all the positions we need to fill. Personally I'm going Will Anderson all day if he's there. A great Edge will always be more valuable than a great DT.

If we take Anderson or Carter in round 1 what do you do in round 2? I'd probably have to go with Jahmyr Gibbs for offense or Emmanuel orbes for defense from the options available unless Siaki Ika is still there.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think Houston will fall in love with a QB and draft one. Their plan is somehow worse than ours.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
DL/OG/WR..///RB

Anderson.... or trade back a few picks and grab that big WR kid..... Dark Horse on a trade back might be Bijan Robinson...dont like it, but might be the best option to avoid another Levi Brown scenario
should be solid IOL in round 2
if we get Anderson in 1,... then maybe look at DT/NT in 3

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
DL/OG/WR..///RB

Anderson.... or trade back a few picks and grab that big WR kid..... Dark Horse on a trade back might be Bijan Robinson...dont like it, but might be the best option to avoid another Levi Brown scenario
should be solid IOL in round 2
if we get Anderson in 1,... then maybe look at DT/NT in 3
Might not be bad if we can get multiple picks and then proceed to upgrade the OL/DL with the added picks, though I would not want to draft him if he was our sole pick in the first

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I have a question, is there a large DT/NT guy worth a second round pick. I realize it is difficult to find an interior guy which can collapse the pocket but at least a guy who can stand his ground and plug the run and be a moderate threat to get pressure when fresh

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I have a question, is there a large DT/NT guy worth a second round pick. I realize it is difficult to find an interior guy which can collapse the pocket but at least a guy who can stand his ground and plug the run and be a moderate threat to get pressure when fresh
yeah. But he likely goes in the first

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I still like Myles Murphy better as a player than Carter.

Imo the Cards draft philosophy on the Dline needs to change! Go to a 4-3 and get more athletic on the front instead of drafting big bodies who occupy blockers instead of guys who can shoot gaps & can supply pass rush consistently from all four front positions. We’ve got 2 in Mijay & Cam let’s get more!!! Guys like junk, Fotu, Lawrence, Dogbe etc gotta go!!!

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Gibbs may not be a bad choice in round 2. The way RB's fall in the draft, Bijan may be there in round 2. Cards definitely need to upgrade that position.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still like Myles Murphy better as a player than Carter.

Imo the Cards draft philosophy on the Dline needs to change! Go to a 4-3 and get more athletic on the front instead of drafting big bodies who occupy blockers instead of guys who can shoot gaps & can supply pass rush consistently from all four front positions. We’ve got 2 in Mijay & Cam let’s get more!!! Guys like junk, Fotu, Lawrence, Dogbe etc gotta go!!!

the reason people like Carter is precisely that, he penetrates into the backfield he's not an occupy blocker guy only. He had a very bad game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gibbs may not be a bad choice in round 2. The way RB's fall in the draft, Bijan may be there in round 2. Cards definitely need to upgrade that position.

He's good but you can get similar value with Devon Achane who might last longer because he's a bit smaller than Gibbs.

Gibbs when he declared said the feedback from the NFL was he could go as high as #25 in the first round, so he's projected 1-2. Achane is apparently projected 2-4, there's some variance on him because he had a foot injury this year and NFL teams want to be sure it's healed before they commit to a round.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
R2 is the meat of the draft. I would love for the Cards to change all of their picks into R2s by making whatever combination of trades it takes.

Get as many R2,3,4s for our R1. Then combine all the 7,6,5,4,&3s into R2s. See if we could turn all our picks into 4 or 5 R2s. Never done before!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Center would be a great position to target in round 2 with the potential players available. John Michael Schmitz, Sedrick Van Pran and Joe Tippman are all potential 2nd round centers who should be able to match up physically in the NFC West.

The6

All Star
Reaction score
We've spoken a lot about what to do with pick 3 or 4 and from what I can tell the consensus seems to be,

1. Jalen Carter
2. Will Anderson
3. Trade back
4. OL
5. CB

But I'm curious what people think we should do in round 2 as when I run mocks I kinda get stuck here because the players available where we pick are not really players we need.

The top 6 CB's all go round 1 and best available is Emmanuel Forbes.

It's likely Skoronski, Paris Johnson, Broderick Jones and Anton Harrison are gone at OT and Jaelyn Duncan and Dawand Jones are best remaining. But Harrison could be there.

Carter and Bresee are gone. Likely Siaki Ika too. Gervon Dexter is likely the only guy left worthy of #34.

Rice, Tillman and Flowers are all likely there at WR but it's WR.

The best players most often still available in mocks are safeties Brian Branch and Antonio Johnson but we are set at safety.

At Edge the top 6 guys are likely gone and I'm not sure that guys like BJ Ojulari, Felix Anudike-Uzomah and Andre Carter are better than Cam Thomas and Myjai Sanders.

At RB Jahmyr Gibbs might still be around but after that it's bleugh at RB in round 2.

The best Center likely still there is John Michael Schmitz and I'm not a big fan personally.

It kinda gets a bit ugly after that first pick. It feels like a top heavy or weak class at all the positions we need to fill. Personally I'm going Will Anderson all day if he's there. A great Edge will always be more valuable than a great DT.

If we take Anderson or Carter in round 1 what do you do in round 2? I'd probably have to go with Jahmyr Gibbs for offense or Emmanuel orbes for defense from the options available unless Siaki Ika is still there.
Coach Payton

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
If Carter and Anderson both are gone, that means 2 QBs will be there for a needy team, then we should be able to trade back, pick up another 2nd at least, and still pick in the top 8-15 range in R1. I would then package the two 2s, or better yet a 2nd and 3rd (see Value Charts), and trade up to pick 15-25 and fill a 2nd need with a good starting player, like CB, DT, Edge. If the draft broke right for us after trading back from #4, we could walk away with 2 good starters in R1 and maybe still have 1 R2 pick left for an OLman, WR, or even a 2nd CB for depth.

All kind of possibilities if only we have someone with a good head on their shoulders picking for us. It could be a fun draft with luck and brains both for a change.

If wishes were horses we could get a starting DT, Edge/OLB, and C/OG all before R3. Why not us for a change?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Carter and Anderson both are gone, that means 2 QBs will be there for a needy team, then we should be able to trade back, pick up another 2nd at least, and still pick in the top 8-15 range in R1. I would then package the two 2s, or better yet a 2nd and 3rd (see Value Charts), and trade up to pick 15-25 and fill a 2nd need with a good starting player, like CB, DT, Edge. If the draft broke right for us after trading back from #4, we could walk away with 2 good starters in R1 and maybe still have 1 R2 pick left for an OLman, WR, or even a 2nd CB for depth.

All kind of possibilities if only we have someone with a good head on their shoulders picking for us. It could be a fun draft with luck and brains both for a change.

If wishes were horses we could get a starting DT, Edge/OLB, and C/OG all before R3. Why not us for a change?

Much will depend on what the Seahawks do with Geno.

If they sign him to a multi year starter deal which takes them out of the QB draft it increases the value of our pick. Which is possible. He's played well. Otherwise its the Bears that QB needy teams will be calling.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Center would be a great position to target in round 2 with the potential players available. John Michael Schmitz, Sedrick Van Pran and Joe Tippman are all potential 2nd round centers who should be able to match up physically in the NFC West.
Love it. We need to go Interior DL/OL with out first two picks.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not keep our picks and trade Hopkins for Payton?

Problem solved?

Would the Saints want him?

The value seems fair.
Except we'd also eat 30M in dead cap space.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose