Wireless Internet Problems

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
So, my roommate went against my advice and got a linksys cable modem/wireless router combo thing, instead of just getting the router separate.

Anyway, the Internet is always dropping, at least 5 or 6 times a day it seems. When it does, we have to basically reset the damn thing.

My question is, what can be causing this? I guess the Cox guy hooked up a cable modem of their own as well, which then feeds into the router thing, could that be it? Redundant cable modems?

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say two modems is probably not a good thing.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question is, what can be causing this? I guess the Cox guy hooked up a cable modem of their own as well, which then feeds into the router thing, could that be it? Redundant cable modems?

That would be my first guess.

I had a problem when I had Cox TV as well and split the signal between modem and TV. Isolating it to one feed solved it.

First thing I would try is to nix the router for a day or so and just run your line directly thru one cable modem. That will isolate the problem to either the router or your Cox connection. Or you can also try to remove your cox modem and run it just thru the Linksys. No need for 2 cable modems.

But, I agree. I went through 2 Linksys routers and both crapped out on me. I have a D-link now and it has been great.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
My question is, if your Roomate was going to use the Cox Modem, why didn't he just buy a router since he already had a modem?

You'll have to use one or the other, and they code your internet with the MAC Address of the Modem you tell them you're using. If it's running through your Cox Modem right now, that's the modem you have to use unless you call them and tell them you want to use the other modem. If the Cox Modem is working fine, he should just take the Modem/Router combo back and exchange it for a normal router, and you should be good to go.

Personally, I don't like Cox Modems. Despite abomb's hatred of Linksys :lol: I love them. I have a linksys modem and wireless router and in 3 years I have never had a drop. I have never tried the combo thing, I have a separate Router and Modem.

OP
OP
green machine

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
My question is, if your Roomate was going to use the Cox Modem, why didn't he just buy a router since he already had a modem?

You'll have to use one or the other, and they code your internet with the MAC Address of the Modem you tell them you're using. If it's running through your Cox Modem right now, that's the modem you have to use unless you call them and tell them you want to use the other modem. If the Cox Modem is working fine, he should just take the Modem/Router combo back and exchange it for a normal router, and you should be good to go.

Personally, I don't like Cox Modems. Despite abomb's hatred of Linksys :lol: I love them. I have a linksys modem and wireless router and in 3 years I have never had a drop. I have never tried the combo thing, I have a separate Router and Modem.

Because he's a Lakers fan. :)

I keed, he hates them too.

I dunno why, my guess is he didn't listen to my advice and instead probably listened to the Best Buy guy's or something like that.

Here's a question, though: with the Cox modem already there, is it possible that the router is just being used as just that, a router? I guess since there is a coax cable going from the Cox modem to the Linksys one that means it is using both modems, eh?

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Because he's a Lakers fan. :)

I keed, he hates them too.

I dunno why, my guess is he didn't listen to my advice and instead probably listened to the Best Buy guy's or something like that.

Here's a question, though: with the Cox modem already there, is it possible that the router is just being used as just that, a router? I guess since there is a coax cable going from the Cox modem to the Linksys one that means it is using both modems, eh?

I would assume that's the case, yes. I don't think you can go from one cable modem to another, that wouldn't make much sense. Chances are, the device he has is just being used as a router.

Does it only drop on wireless? Do you have any computers hooked up to the router with an RJ-45 cable?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why can't you take the Cox modem out of the equation and just use the Linksys?

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Why can't you take the Cox modem out of the equation and just use the Linksys?

You could do that, just don't forget to call Cox when you hook up the Linksys if you go this route. It won't work unless Cox has the MAC address found on the sticker on the bottom of the modem. This does seem like the best way to go IMO.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I *may* have an old one at my house in the office. If I do, next time you come over, we go office space on the pos.

OMG.

I just pictured office space on that Linksys.

We are SO doing this after Tangaray and Caprisun drinks.

I was wondering if you guys wanna do a poker tourney sometime soon?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a problem when I had Cox TV as well and split the signal between modem and TV. Isolating it to one feed solved it.

Hey, I had this problem too. I tried to split it in our den, and it jacked everything up.

So you are saying I need to put another cable outlet in to do that? Supersuck.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I *may* have an old one at my house in the office. If I do, next time you come over, we go office space on the pos.

Dang, I hate when my router says "PC Load Letter". What the heck does that mean?

Hey, I had this problem too. I tried to split it in our den, and it jacked everything up.

I can't answer that. To be honest I have a love/hate relationship with Cox Communications. Their cable internet service is awesome, very fast, has tech support that speaks English, and are very quick to fix outages.

Their TV service, IMO sucks. At least for analog cable, I never tried their digital. I switched to DirecTV years ago and the picture was so much better. The only reason I had a basic cable package for a bit is that they were offering it free for a limited time with an internet subscription. So I run satellite for TV and cable for internet so no more splitting.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score

No, you don't.

You just put in your splitter and have Cox come out and "adjust your levels." I'm not sure what all that entails, but I had that done recently. I had an extra cable jack put in, but all they did was split it off my bedroom one which hosed my Internet. The Cox guy came out, replaced the splitter with a better one, made some adjustments and now everything is perfect.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson