William Powell

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Hyphen should not been in there to drop the pass, Powell should have been.
It's hard to hate on Feely after the game tying 61 yarder, but we would have never been in OT if he doesn't miss the 38 yarder.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I hate to say it, cuz I love me some hyphen, but it seems his days of usefulness have largely come to a close. When they moved the kickoff up that was all she wrote for the lil fella.
I don't completely agree. I think they just misuse him on the field. First of all running him between the tackles is just stupid. If he is on the field he should simply be screen plays and routes out in the flat. Granted he did drop a screen pass in OT, but that was probably the only time in the game that he was utilized correctly.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Sorry Shane, I simply think you're nuts. That int he threw, he had time and stared down his receiver. He does it all the time. I think you've just been the victim of being bludgeoned by the Derek andersons, max halls, John skeletons of the world into thinking crappy is better than crappy.
Some of that is still on the OLine because Kolb is under extreme pressure to get the ball out quick. Early in the year when he wasn't getting pressured so much he seemed to be much more relaxed back there, but since being knocked around the last few games he has lost all confidence in this OLine.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
He seems a lot more exciting to watch. He has the really quick jump or hitch that Spiller has. He doesn't dilly dally, but quickly bounces to the opening. Love what I have seen from him. He can be a star in this league, if not for us, for someone else.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
LSH is garbage. The Dallas game is the last time I remember him making an impact on the field.

That dropped screen pass was killer. When it was developing I was like "Dallas play all over again!!!" and then he immediately dropped it.

That being said, the guy is a 7th round pick who has greatly exceeded the expectations anyone had when he got here. Is he a feature back? Clearly not -- but he's consistently found a way to find his place on the team and stick, which is a lot more than most 7th rounders can ever say. Below is a list of all 7th round picks we have taken since Pat Tillman. Have any of these guys been as good as LSH? Renaldo Hill is about the only one that jumps out as having any impact in the league -- other than Ben Patrick catching a super bowl TD pass:

Nate Potter (T - still TBD)
DeMarco Sampson (WR)
Jim Dray (TE)
Trevor Canfield (G)
Brandon Keith (T)
Ben Patrick (TE)
Todd Watkins (WR)
LeRon McCoy (WR)
John Navarre (QB)
Mike Banks (TE)
Renaldo Hill (CB)
Tevita Ofahengaue
Sekou Sanyika (LB)
Chris Greisen (QB)

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
That dropped screen pass was killer. When it was developing I was like "Dallas play all over again!!!" and then he immediately dropped it.

That being said, the guy is a 7th round pick who has greatly exceeded the expectations anyone had when he got here. Is he a feature back? Clearly not -- but he's consistently found a way to find his place on the team and stick, which is a lot more than most 7th rounders can ever say. Below is a list of all 7th round picks we have taken since Pat Tillman. Have any of these guys been as good as LSH? Renaldo Hill is about the only one that jumps out as having any impact in the league -- other than Ben Patrick catching a super bowl TD pass:

Nate Potter (T - still TBD)
DeMarco Sampson (WR)
Jim Dray (TE)
Trevor Canfield (G)
Brandon Keith (T)
Ben Patrick (TE)
Todd Watkins (WR)
LeRon McCoy (WR)
John Navarre (QB)
Mike Banks (TE)
Renaldo Hill (CB)
Tevita Ofahengaue
Sekou Sanyika (LB)
Chris Greisen (QB)

Makes you wonder why we don't trade our 7th pick each year to move up and get a better player in an earlier round like so many other teams do.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How do you do the rating thing. Vermont Maverick might have won an emmy tonight with that post.

:biglaugh:

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
How do you do the rating thing. Vermont Maverick might have won an emmy tonight with that post.

:biglaugh:

I think it deserves it's own thread -- Vermont Maverick, please create so everyone doesn't have to dig through this thread to see your gem of a post.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You guys are jumping on Powell for one play but are overlooking the fact that he averaged over 5 yards per carry. But, Whiz, as usual, would rather run 50 vanilla pass plays than actually use the running game. The running game today averaged 6 yards per carry and yet Whiz ran away from it when it counted. Doesn't make sense.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this game would have played out much differently had Whis started Powell. Everyone knows except for our coaching staff apparently that LSH is not a 1st and 2nd down back. If Powell could have established the run from the start, it would have taken a lot of pressure off Kolb and the o-line and may have opened up the passing game a bit more. The fact that LSH played multiple series and we went back to him in the fourth and OT is just incomprehensible.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You guys are jumping on Powell for one play but are overlooking the fact that he averaged over 5 yards per carry. But, Whiz, as usual, would rather run 50 vanilla pass plays than actually use the running game. The running game today averaged 6 yards per carry and yet Whiz ran away from it when it counted. Doesn't make sense.
Miller is the OC, blame him. LSH had 11 carries and averaged 2 yards per. Why Powell wasn't getting those touches is confusing in itself. LSH is just too small for it. He can make plays if he has room, but he never does. Didn't we bring Smith back too? Why didn't he play? LSH needs to stick to STs, Powell and Smith should have been the only 2 getting carries. They also waited way to long to add extra help in pass protection. Play-calling was awful in general

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
The one thing is he didn't do much to help himself, change plays at the LOS etc in previous games, today he did by running.

But he had crucial mistakes by teammates, the deep ball to Roberts I'm still not sure how he didn't catch that it seemed right there but I'm not sure he even touched it? The drop by Hyphen, stupid play by Powell all of those plays were killers too.

Obviously the picks by Kolb and Skelton and the miss by Feely killed us as well.

Mauia's stupid penalty and then my god very next play Batiste gets a penalty. I keep thinking he'll sette in and get better but you can see why he's been released so many times, he's not good enough to start in the NFL.

This is how I feel. Good team minimise mistakes like this.

Until we make these plays we won't be a great team.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howling's impact on the offense has been almost non-existent. Going into today he had 12 carries for a net of 1 yard and 2 catches for 14 yards. 11 carries for 22 yards today.

3 kick returns through 5 games and our kick coverage teams that he is supposed to be so valuable to haven't looked good since early last season.

Yep it was a great story while it lasted but when they changed the rule, Hyphen ceased to be relevant.

He's got the rest of this year to get healthy and show he can impact, or I'd expect him to be gone.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Oline brotha!!! You can't have breakdowns constantly in the run game & pass pro & have sustained drives.
Correct. Kolb has surpassed my expectations for him. He has been pretty solid when he has time.

He still has a lot to improve but he has been solid.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I think this game would have played out much differently had Whis started Powell. Everyone knows except for our coaching staff apparently that LSH is not a 1st and 2nd down back. If Powell could have established the run from the start, it would have taken a lot of pressure off Kolb and the o-line and may have opened up the passing game a bit more. The fact that LSH played multiple series and we went back to him in the fourth and OT is just incomprehensible.
I agree, Powell was great in preseason. He should of been getting a few chances much earlier in the season. If we had his help earlier in the game I think the outcome would of been a w for the cards.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is what drove me crazy the most. Yes he screwed up a play but how many times does our OL, receivers or QB screw up a play. Whis bit off his his nose to spite his face on this one. Powell should have been playing in OT.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

This....LSH did not play well in that game. Powell was getting Beanie yards.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what drove me crazy the most. Yes he screwed up a play but how many times does our OL, receivers or QB screw up a play. Whis bit off his his nose to spite his face on this one. Powell should have been playing in OT.

I think Whiz just didn't trust him in a close game after that mistake. Fair or not that's my guess.

I agree he played quite well.

I do wonder if he'll run as well next week if Skelton is the starter and we're not playign Buffalo. It seemed as if after a couple of Kolb runs, Buffalo's defense was a bit easier to move on, like they were completely selling out to handle certain things and when he started running it screwed up their entire defense?

Minnesota is good but i do hope we continue to try and run. And if Skelton is going to start he needs to get all the reps during the week or the vast majority, he was visibly rusty yesterday.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
The O line thing needs work, the rest of the team there are some positives, defense is still pretty stout.

Powell looks to be a player if a bit raw which is much better than a complete dud who knows all the plays. Just saying you can teach him the plays, it's harder to teach a guy how to run.

Both QB's did enough to win the game, luck ran out.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He is one of the gunners on punt returns. We was one of the best special teams players in the league. He is a willing and smart blocker. He is not an every down back. He is routinely used because we are terrible on first and second down. He gets very few opportunities. He has won games for this organization in the past.

He is what he is. A very solid player. Not a star, but very valuable to a football team. He also doesnt whine or show qbs or complains about playing time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't see justifying anything more than the veteran minimum on a special teams gunner, which is what he is. He brings nothing to the running game, and he has consistently dropped passes when he has had them in the passing game. He has no value in the return game. Don't let the rare moments in his past blind you to the fact that he doesn't bring much value over a minimum contract.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I can't see justifying anything more than the veteran minimum on a special teams gunner, which is what he is. He brings nothing to the running game, and he has consistently dropped passes when he has had them in the passing game. He has no value in the return game. Don't let the rare moments in his past blind you to the fact that he doesn't bring much value over a minimum contract.

I don't know where LSH gets this rep as being a special special teams gunner. I haven't seen him make a tackle this year or last year for that matter. Aren't Rashad Johnson, Justin Bethel and Mike Adams our primary gunners on special teams?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn