Will Anderson Jr is that rare prospect who checks all the boxes.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The new regime needs to pick a questionable work ethic and character dude who will probably play 30% of snaps?

Too big of a gamble for a team in an almost a complete rebuild. Maybe if he has some better stats to back it up. Part of his claim to fame is boosting everyone else, and who exactly is he boosting?

If he's gunna bust, Cardinals are literally the exact team where he will. The dude has nothing around him, going to a dysfunctional franchise with complete rookie personnel from the GM down. He needs to go to a team with good framework already, and we ain't it. Need a better gamble with our first pick. If he falls, I get it.

Interviews are a bunch of hogwash.
He’s the best interior DL to come out in a while, and the defense that JG wants to run is extremely dependent on a player of his skill set. If Keim/KK were running the show, then I would agree that he would have a HUGE bust potential. Just because our past was dysfunctional, doesn’t mean that MO/JG will be. And they have BOTH indicated that. If you’re getting 4 extra picks AND a potential stud like Carter, then it’s no time to have your ******* shrivel. Being a fan of this franchise for 60+ years, we have always taken the safe path. I’m getting too damn old. Time to grow a set.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He’s the best interior DL to come out in a while, and the defense that JG wants to run is extremely dependent on a player of his skill set. If Keim/KK were running the show, then I would agree that he would have a HUGE bust potential. Just because our past was dysfunctional, doesn’t mean that MO/JG will be. And they have BOTH indicated that. If you’re getting 4 extra picks AND a potential stud like Carter, then it’s no time to have your ******* shrivel. Being a fan of this franchise for 60+ years, we have always taken the safe path. I’m getting too damn old. Time to grow a set.

We don't know what set he wants, so he can base it off anyone that we select so we aren't boxed into a particular player, especially him nor Anderson.

They are still rookie coaches/GM on a team with nothing around him.

Taking Carter is hardly growing a set. The dumbest s**t people do is thinking they are too badass for the consequences.

The dude just isn't gunna get enough snaps and we don't have the personnel for him to make any impact for years. His work ethic way too questionable. Don't know why that's not a red flag. Always a cautionary tale.

Last edited:

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We don't know what set he wants, so he can base it off anyone that we select so we aren't boxed into a particular player, especially him nor Anderson.

They are still rookie coaches/GM on a team with nothing around him.

Taking Carter is hardly growing a set. The dumbest s**t people do is thinking they are too badass for the consequences.

The dude just isn't gunna get enough snaps and we don't have the personnel for him to make any impact for years. His work ethic way too questionable. Don't know why that's not a red flag. Always a cautionary tale.
JG has ALWAYS run a D that depends on 4 guys getting to the QB. A player like Carter will fits that mentality. We’ll have to agree to disagree & let MOJG decide what’s best.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
JG has ALWAYS run a D that depends on 4 guys getting to the QB. A player like Carter will fits that mentality. We’ll have to agree to disagree & let MOJG decide what’s best.

I get it, he has the skill. Don't think anyone on Earth disagrees with that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Who around Carter was super productive?

Travon Walker went #1 purely because of traits. To call his production pedestrian would be an insult to the term pedestrian.

Carter's film is good, but he is the king of almost sack. That's a red flag for me as well, and being fat and out of shape is a massive one. What's going to happen when he gets his first contract?
The whole defense that killed teams en route to back to back championships?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Or was he good because they were all good LOL?
That’s the tough part to determine. It’s why historically I haven’t been a fan of drafting Alabama defensive players. Tough to determine who the engine is driving the overall performance when they are all high level. Might actually be no elite players but a collection of just sub-elite players in such numbers that it’s overwhelming against other clubs who have a mix of sub-elite and average players.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That’s the tough part to determine. It’s why historically I haven’t been a fan of drafting Alabama defensive players. Tough to determine who the engine is driving the overall performance when they are all high level. Might actually be no elite players but a collection of just sub-elite players in such numbers that it’s overwhelming against other clubs who have a mix of sub-elite and average players.
I tend to think when you have that many good players, few of them become great players.

That's why all these 5 star QB recruits who go to great schools end up as late round QBs.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Based on these last few posts, we better just trade back for more picks then gamble on a great player. Better off just taking several very good players you know can be better than your current starters, like one of the top CBs, OL, then follow that with a tier 2 or 3 DT and DE. That way you are less likely to be disappointed and won't feel like you wasted such a high pick on another possible bust. That is certainly one way to look at it, and with all our needs maybe the better way.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Based on these last few posts, we better just trade back for more picks then gamble on a great player. Better off just taking several very good players you know can be better than your current starters, like one of the top CBs, OL, then follow that with a tier 2 or 3 DT and DE. That way you are less likely to be disappointed and won't feel like you wasted such a high pick on another possible bust. That is certainly one way to look at it, and with all our needs maybe the better way.
One problem with this plan: the bolded isn’t true.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The most intriguing trade down for me right now is Detroit. Pick up their 6 and 18 and if Anderson does fall, you get Anderson at 6 and maybe someone like Bryan Bresee at 18.

If Anderson isn't there, oh well, you could get Weatherspoon and Bresee.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The most intriguing trade down for me right now is Detroit. Pick up their 6 and 18 and if Anderson does fall, you get Anderson at 6 and maybe someone like Bryan Bresee at 18.

If Anderson isn't there, oh well, you could get Weatherspoon and Bresee.

Uh, who would you expect Detroit to trade down for if not Anderson?

He doesn't make it past Seattle.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Uh, who would you expect Detroit to trade down for if not Anderson?
Richardson. Detroit is actually the perfect situation for Richardson. He can sit behind Goff, whos contract will run out soon. Detroit has a decent offensive line, some good young receivers, and a defense that's getting better.
He doesn't make it past Seattle.
Maybe, but Seattle already has a stable of edge rushers in Nwosu and Darrell Taylor. Both had over 9 sacks last year. They signed Dre'Mont Jones but if you slide Carter into that group, the Seahawks would be able to field a pass rush that would be pretty fearsome. Seattle also has a very stable culture and could bring out the best in Carter and are in a position to take that risk on him as a person.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Richardson. Detroit is actually the perfect situation for Richardson. He can sit behind Goff, whos contract will run out soon. Detroit has a decent offensive line, some good young receivers, and a defense that's getting better.

Maybe, but Seattle already has a stable of edge rushers in Nwosu and Darrell Taylor. Both had over 9 sacks last year. They signed Dre'Mont Jones but if you slide Carter into that group, the Seahawks would be able to field a pass rush that would be pretty fearsome. Seattle also has a very stable culture and could bring out the best in Carter and are in a position to take that risk on him as a person.

If MO can somehow pull a trade with Lions and get an extra first and still come away with Anderson he should get crowned as GM of the year on the spot.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If MO can somehow pull a trade with Lions and get an extra first and still come away with Anderson he should get crowned as GM of the year on the spot.
It's not impossible.

As you have probably seen in my disagreements on Wilson vs. Anderson, there is an argument to take Wilson over Anderson even. I've seen Mock Drafts where Wilson goes before Anderson because they are very different players.

What I caution against is that this isn't a "Anderson or bust" draft. There are a few other players that are pretty damn good. Go watch tape of Weatherspoon. He's a monster at CB.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agreed. But I’ve learned not to dream as a cardinal fan.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's not impossible.

As you have probably seen in my disagreements on Wilson vs. Anderson, there is an argument to take Wilson over Anderson even. I've seen Mock Drafts where Wilson goes before Anderson because they are very different players.

What I caution against is that this isn't a "Anderson or bust" draft. There are a few other players that are pretty damn good. Go watch tape of Weatherspoon. He's a monster at CB.
You’ve moved off Gonzales to Witherspoon?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Well, that’d be a change because he’s done nothing to improve the team so far.
So far he’s been very Rod Graves-esque.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I like both pretty equally. Witherspoon just sticks people hard. He's super aggressive. He's like Tyrann Mathieu in an actual corners body.

Gonzalez is good sized, but as smooth as a smaller corner. Not as aggressive as Witherspoon, but a ballhawk.

I think my preference is:
Anderson
Wilson
Witherspoon/Gonzalez
Bresee
Van Ness
Skoronski
Paris Johnson

I pretty much have eight players with similar grades, but Anderson is the top because he is a true edge. Wilson is a game-wrecking tweener type. I view Wilson as more similar to JJ Watt than Von Miller. Witherspoon/Gonzalez step in and by end of year one, form a really good corner tandem with Marco Wilson. Bresee will be nearly as good as Carter with less drama. Van Ness is a chess piece who can play edge or 3 tech. Skoronski is a guard/tackle. Johnson is the heir apparent to Hump.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
If Anderson makes it past 2 then he is likely the pick. Other trades of vets on the roster will add picks to fortify the trenches if those guys are still on the fence. The DK Metcalf blunder is still too strong right now. MO could repeat history by not taking the next Von Miller type edge guy.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
To futher address this, I think we all start with the players we know.

If you are like me and you really watch YouTube cut ups, you get more familiar with players as you go.

Witherspoon is a Big Ten player and I don't exactly watch Illinois during the year. He really jumps out as the best player on their game films, and Illinois had a number of draftable players.

Just like Simms said about Tyree Wilson, no one has to highlight who Witherspoon is, he just jumps out at you.

On offense, if you haven't watched DeWayne McBride, go watch that dude run the ball and then try and tell me he doesn't look like he has a future in the NFL. That dude is hard to take down and outside of Robinson and Gibbs, is the best pure RB in the draft.

tennis-player

Veteran
Reaction score
"Richardson. Detroit is actually the perfect situation for Richardson. He can sit behind Goff, whos contract will run out soon. Detroit has a decent offensive line, some good young receivers, and a defense that's getting better."

Detroit is not drafting Richardson. The only reason they would trade with Arizona is for Anderson. I think they will stay at 6 and draft Carter or Wilson.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
"Richardson. Detroit is actually the perfect situation for Richardson. He can sit behind Goff, whos contract will run out soon. Detroit has a decent offensive line, some good young receivers, and a defense that's getting better."

Detroit is not drafting Richardson. The only reason they would trade with Arizona is for Anderson. I think they will stay at 6 and draft Carter or Wilson.
You know this how? All I'm saying is they are in the best situation to draft him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose