Will Anderson Jr is that rare prospect who checks all the boxes.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Feels like as dominant as Will Anderson was in college: Anderson is #2 in all time sacks and tackles for loss by player from power 5 conference (since they officially started keeping stats - Derrick Thomas had more but not part of the anaysis above) and he only played 3 years. His greatness seems to have diminished a bit lately (public opinions) or just downplayed. Why is that?

The real question...
Is he more like Jadaveon Clowney (who I would consider a massive dissapointment for #1 overall) or
is he going to have a pro career more like Myles Garrett? Anderson had 58 TFL vs 47 Garrett and Anderson had 34 sacks vs 31 Garrett.
I don't think he has the same bend as Garrett so maybe more like Khalil Mack?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Use that #12 & other picks to do what? Draft Will Levis?

Houston has A LOT of holes to be trading up with anyone.
Nah, move up to #3 and take either Stroud or Young. A stud EDGE and a potenial franchise QB are great building blocks and unlike ARZ, HOU hasn't been sitting idle in free agency.

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nah, move up to #3 and take either Stroud or Young. A stud EDGE and a potenial franchise QB are great building blocks and unlike ARZ, HOU hasn't been sitting idle in free agency.
Why would we move all the way back to the #12 when we can still get a very good haul while getting better talent?

Regardless of what our FO has been(or hasn’t been) doing, Houston still has A LOT of holes on their roster. Something that can’t be accounted for just through this years FA.

Reread what you typed. You’re basically believing a team, with alot of holes, will trade up & give away A LOT of picks that they also will need in order to add their team with talent. A team like Carolina would be in a position to do that. Houston? Not even close.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Any players career can be derailed by injuries. What’s your point?
My point is exactly the point you are making. Anderson could get injured or just not pan out. If we trade out once, twice, or 3 times, it’s less likely the 4-5 picks will ALL get injured. Look, I love Anderson a ton, but a huge draft haul might be too big to say no to.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Use that #12 & other picks to do what? Draft Will Levis?

Houston has A LOT of holes to be trading up with anyone.
I put a sprinkle on Will Anderson to go 2nd in the draft at +2000 because Houston might Houston the pick.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I put a sprinkle on Will Anderson to go 2nd in the draft at +2000 because Houston might Houston the pick.
Ya almost kinda hope they do because it sure feels like the cardinals are gonna cardinal 3 anyway....and if Anderson is gone we got no reason not to trade back anyway..and Stroud on the board will really increase our haul

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why would we move all the way back to the #12 when we can still get a very good haul while getting better talent?

Regardless of what our FO has been(or hasn’t been) doing, Houston still has A LOT of holes on their roster. Something that can’t be accounted for just through this years FA.

Reread what you typed. You’re basically believing a team, with alot of holes, will trade up & give away A LOT of picks that they also will need in order to add their team with talent. A team like Carolina would be in a position to do that. Houston? Not even close.
1. If Anderson is gone then you can trade down to #12 and still land a good player, not sure what you are talking about here.
2. Say HOU gives up #12 and this years second, third and even 1st in 2024, they still have 7 picks left in 2023 draft and have signed 16 free agents and traded for Shaq Mason, they've filled most of their holes I'd say.
3. See above. You think they have holes, but you're wrong. ARZ has waaaay more holes than HOU at this point. Plus let's just say they have a hole or two, getting Stroud or Young at #3 and Anderson at #2 is quite a draft haul on its own and fill arguably their 2 biggest holes at the moment.

Nice try though.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1. If Anderson is gone then you can trade down to #12 and still land a good player, not sure what you are talking about here.
You’re most likely not getting a premier blue-chipper. You know what I’m talking about. This shouldn’t be hard to understand.

2. Say HOU gives up #12 and this years second, third and even 1st in 2024, they still have 7 picks left in 2023 draft and have signed 16 free agents and traded for Shaq Mason, they've filled most of their holes I'd say.
lol, to move up 9 spots, especially since everyone knows they would be aiming for a QB, they would have to give up A LOT more ammo than #12, this years 2nd/3rd + next years 1st. They traded for a mediocre guard. Whoopty-doo. Raise your standards up.
3. See above. You think they have holes, but you're wrong. ARZ has waaaay more holes than HOU at this point. Plus let's just say they have a hole or two, getting Stroud or Young at #3 and Anderson at #2 is quite a draft haul on its own and fill arguably their 2 biggest holes at the moment.
Yea, you don’t flirt with holding the #1 pick until the last game of the season & DON’T have holes. I don’t think they have holes. No, everyone with sense knows they have holes & alot of them, just like we do, though I’m not sure why this team is part of the discussion.

I feel like you didn’t even try, which seems to be a reoccurring theme.

Last edited:

AustrianCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
You’re most likely not getting a premier blue-chipper. You know what I’m talking about. This shouldn’t be hard to understand.
If Houston really takes Anderson at #2, which premier blue-chipper is left that you would target and what is the furthest you would trade down? Hope this doesn't come across as provocative, I just really have no idea to be honest.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Houston and Arizona are tied for the lowest u/l line but Houston only has a couple holes left.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My point is exactly the point you are making. Anderson could get injured or just not pan out. If we trade out once, twice, or 3 times, it’s less likely the 4-5 picks will ALL get injured. Look, I love Anderson a ton, but a huge draft haul might be too big to say no to.
It’s more likely none of them pan out into something special. Always take the something special. Always.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Houston really takes Anderson at #2, which premier blue-chipper is left that you would target and what is the furthest you would trade down? Hope this doesn't come across as provocative, I just really have no idea to be honest.
I really don’t know at the moment.

I’m not a fan of Tyree Wilson.

I’m not a fan of drafting a CB super high especially without a pass-rush in front of him.

Way too high to be drafting any Guard.

I’m not as low on Carter as others are now, but I don’t know if this franchise can afford to take that risk atm.

Tough.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

I’m not a fan of drafting a CB super high especially without a pass-rush in front of him.

I’m not as low on Carter as others are now, but I don’t know if this franchise can afford to take that risk atm.

Tough.
methinks you dont know because Will Anderson is the only non QB blue chipper in the draft..... followed closely by 65 red chippers

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Tough.
I also don't love Wilson but do you have another player as your #2 EDGE in this class? I struggle to justify taking Wilson over Jalen Carter, risk and all.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think most are over thinking this. I believe Anderson will be our guy unless he’s gone. If that’s the case we will trade out and get a boatload in return because somebody is going to want a QB.

I think this staff has enough confidence in themselves to believe they can fill many of our holes and depth with the rest of our remaining picks.

It’s not unrealistic to think Seattle trades up to two and grabs Anderson leaving at least two QB’s sitting there when we are on the clock.

I don’t think there are too many here that would want us to give up draft capital to move up to #2 to assure Anderson becoming a Cardinal.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think most are over thinking this. I believe Anderson will be our guy unless he’s gone. If that’s the case we will trade out and get a boatload in return because somebody is going to want a QB.

I think this staff has enough confidence in themselves to believe they can fill many of our holes and depth with the rest of our remaining picks.

It’s not unrealistic to think Seattle trades up to two and grabs Anderson leaving at least two QB’s sitting there when we are on the clock.

I don’t think there are too many here that would want us to give up draft capital to move up to #2 to assure Anderson becoming a Cardinal.
I'm with you there. If Anderson is somehow gone at 3, try to get a boatload of picks in a trade down. If he's there, take him 10 times out of 10.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with you there. If Anderson is somehow gone at 3, try to get a boatload of picks in a trade down. If he's there, take him 10 times out of 10.
This

We can't afford to pass on an almost certain thing

Too many arrows pointing the right direction for Anderson to not select him

He would be a cornerstone of the defense for many years

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If Anderson isn't there, I'd even consider trading down for just a few picks.

The next 10 players are pretty evenly graded and the Cardinals have a ton of needs.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anderson is a certain hit. No doubt. Been saying it for months.

But also, if we were picking at #7 I'm pretty sure we would have been telling ourselves for months that Gonzalez was a certain hit and instant CB1.

We just became locked on Anderson because we were confident he would be there at #3.

I think the top of this draft for non QB's is heavier than it's been in a while and for the Cardinals it's in position groups they need. Edge, CB, OT and to some extent DT.

Hard to screw it up IMO. Staying at #3 and taking Anderson would be great, I think we can also get a great player and more by trading back too. As long as it's not for Tyree Wilson.

On saying that, this group of coaches seems to be highly confident, or at least have an ethos, that they can coach guys up. So it wouldn't surprise me to see them take a raw freak like Wilson with the belief they can teach him what he's missing. Which is basically everything except the physical traits to play Edge :)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hopeful

Hopefully he is there, but if not we are throwing out many other scenarios

Noting is guaranteed in the draft

The Texans currently have Davis Mills at QB. I don't see any scenario now that they don't take Bryce Young (assuming the Panthers take Stroud).

And if they aren't they would be nuts not to trade back and get a haul for someone that wants Young.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Texans currently have Davis Mills at QB. I don't see any scenario now that they don't take Bryce Young (assuming the Panthers take Stroud).

And if they aren't they would be nuts not to trade back and get a haul for someone that wants Young.
I agree with you here

I was just saying nothing is guaranteed

We've seen some real head scratchers in the past

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose