Will 3D TV become the industry standard?

Will 3D TV become the industry standard?

• I already own one and will buy one in the near future

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I was a superminority but I'm finding a few people who agree with me. I hate 3D anything. I hate glasses, I hate 3D images. They give me a headache. They offer nothing to me. I've always considered 3D to be a gimmick. I'd much, much, much rather watch a high-definition television broadcast in 2D. Curious what other people think here.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I thought I was a superminority but I'm finding a few people who agree with me. I hate 3D anything. I hate glasses, I hate 3D images. They give me a headache. They offer nothing to me. I've always considered 3D to be a gimmick. I'd much, much, much rather watch a high-definition television broadcast in 2D. Curious what other people think here.

+1

Horrible idea. Just the fact you have to wear glasses alone is pretty dumb. If you have to wear glasses then why not just get the glasses that project TV images since you are essentially watching TV thru the glasses.

Actually a HDTV 1080p, 120 Hz is about as clear as the human eye can process. I think from there as a manufacturer you can work on shelf life, and contract ratio but all and all anything more than 1080p @ 120 Hz you can't even notice the difference with the human eye.

Thus the plateau, and push on 3-D TV.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Agreed. I've never liked 3-D movies, even when I was a kid. No flippin' way will I wear those glasses in my home. Maybe it will succeed, but it seems like a ridiculous fad to me.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing the future for TV will be mobile, just like everything else. Awhile back Sony or someone came out with glasses that mimicked a 70-foot screen. Sounded promising, but I was told the picture was mediocre for the $5K price tag.

But I'm guess in the future if you could come up with some kind of eyewear for mobile that simulated HD pictures and surround sound, that would be the next step.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H

+1

My eyeglasses are enough of an irritant.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
+1

My eyeglasses are enough of an irritant.

That's another thing. I wear eyeglasses as well (don't like contacts). Do the 3-D glasses fit over your eyeglasses?

I've tried on those sunglasses that go over prescription glasses and they are never comfortable. Had to get prescription sunglasses.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THIS!

I get motion sickness very easily and I can only imagine the constant headaches from watching 3D. No thanks.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think it will succeed until they perfect a version that doesn't require glasses. The technology exists today but my understanding is that it has a very limited viewing range (it's 3D in the sweet spot and unwatchable elsewhere). I'll admit, my opinion on the viability of 3D is probably biased by my unwillingness to wear the glasses.

BTW, I think your 700 dollar estimate on the glasses is quite overstated. I think that's more like a family cost rather than per unit.

Steve

Last edited:

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I spend enough time wondering what the heck happened to the remote control. If I can't find the "special glasses" I need I'm really going to get ticked.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can barely stand wearing 3D glasses for a 3 minute show at Disneyland. There is no way I would want to wear them every time I wanted to watch TV.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spend enough time wondering what the heck happened to the remote control. If I can't find the "special glasses" I need I'm really going to get ticked.
Exactly. It would probably take me about half an hour before I sat on the stupid glasses.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Once the technology is a little better and there are way more HD 3-D channels/movies to pick from and they start filming in 3D I will without a doubt welcome it with open arms. I love the stuff that is made for 3D (avatar), I do thought hate the stuff that was filmed on regular film then finagled or forced into 3D (Clash of the Titans). I see those things happening a ways away though, so I wont even worry about until then.

I to get motion sick pretty easy but 3D doesn't bother me a bit, doesn't give me any headaches and I don't mind wearing the glasses. Most places sale the TV's with two free glasses anyways so I am not worried about that cost either.

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I had a chance to watch one of the new 3D TVs and It was much better than I thought it would be.You can watch it from any angle and still have a good effect. I can't imagine how cool it will be to watch sports in 3D. You don't have to watch everything in 3D. You can watch regular programing if you want. I found the glass to be rather comfortable. I will be getting a set asap.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Almost 10% of the male population suffer from a color deficiency or color blindness. Most of this deficiency is in the red and green spectrum.
This is why 3d tv/glasses will never work.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost 10% of the male population suffer from a color deficiency or color blindness. Most of this deficiency is in the red and green spectrum.

It's going to fail because 5% of the population won't benefit from it? Even if you accept that males will determine every single 3D TV decision you're still just removing 10% of the population. I think the economy, the too ever-changing home theater landscape and the glasses themselves will more likely prove the bigger obstacles for 3D acceptance.

Steve

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It's going to fail because 5% of the population won't benefit from it? Even if you accept that males will determine every single 3D TV decision you're still just removing 10% of the population. I think the economy, the too ever-changing home theater landscape and the glasses themselves will more likely prove the bigger obstacles for 3D acceptance.

Steve

Yep. :)

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
thank god I am not in that 10%. They worked great for me.Since the new style glasses work with polarization would that still effect the red green color blind? The new style glasses alternate between the eyes so you can only see with one eye at a time. It alternates at a speed that is undetectable with the human eye.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard