Why not Amare?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I doubt it. Why should Sarver spend $20M on a broken down Amare? Even if he is an expiring, it doesn't make sense unless there's a MAJOR incentive.

If I was the owner I'd rather spend that money on a couple of Bentleys and a mansion than on Amare.

Errntknght

Reaction score
You could infer the effect of FTs since they almost all arise shooting two point shots. Bigs get a fair number while rebounding but it would work for the smaller guys. Heck, I could do that myself since my database (typical box score data) contains the relevant information.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We don't have the cap room to bring Amare back without shipping out around $8 million salary in return. Had we done it first prior to signing/resigning anyone we could have squeezed it in, but I think people are misjudging what the Suns have to spend based on the articles that said we wanted to bring in two max contracts. In order for them to have done that we would have had to shed some contracts and could have then signed Bledsoe and Tucker after because we'd have gone over the cap to do so. We didn't shed those contracts and signed Tucker, Tolliver, and Thompson. We still have Bledsoe's $6.5 cap hold too. We are down to roughly $13m, maybe up to $15m left. That is also dependent on when Tucker signs his contract. That's if he signs after we spend. If he signs before we have his salary to deduct from that number.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't like the Amare idea much. I don't think at this stage of his career he brings much more than Morris. Morris has younger legs and less likely to break down or blow out a knee. I guess there is a chance our medical staff could squeeze more out of him but that's a pricey gamble until his contract is up.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
(psst...last year of his deal)

But the thing is that the Suns don't need an expiring contract. Just about all the contracts are expiring next year. Outside of Thomas, everyone is either a team option, player option, qualifying offer, etc. Dragic is a player option, but he is sure to opt out. Bledsoe (or whoever we get in a sign and trade for him) might be on the roster, but still- the Suns don't need a huge expiring contract, unless they plan on "flipping" it around the trade deadline.

OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
But the thing is that the Suns don't need an expiring contract. Just about all the contracts are expiring next year. Outside of Thomas, everyone is either a team option, player option, qualifying offer, etc. Dragic is a player option, but he is sure to opt out. Bledsoe (or whoever we get in a sign and trade for him) might be on the roster, but still- the Suns don't need a huge expiring contract, unless they plan on "flipping" it around the trade deadline.

I'm not inferring they do; rather that his contract won't be a burden, and could possibly be an asset.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amare is a corpse. A shell of the offensive player he once was, and as bad as he used to be defensively, he no longer even tries at this point.

I would much rather save that cap flexibility to pull a potential move during the year than have to spend the season watching Amare rot.

You must be registered for see images

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not inferring they do; rather that his contract won't be a burden, and could possibly be an asset.

The empty space to flat out absorb something while sending nothing back is more of an asset than Amare.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
No. Potential return not worth the lack of flexibility leading up to trade deadline when Love or other impactful players maybe available. #flexibility

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Won't be a burden? We don't have the room to absorb his contract. It's a burden in that we have to send back $8-10+ million just to get the contract to fit. So who do we send to NY? Tpo me anyone on this roster is better than bringing Amare here. Than we also lose flexibility. This would be a foolish move for many reasons.

OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Won't be a burden? We don't have the room to absorb his contract. It's a burden in that we have to send back $8-10+ million just to get the contract to fit. So who do we send to NY? Tpo me anyone on this roster is better than bringing Amare here. Than we also lose flexibility. This would be a foolish move for many reasons.

Yeah, I suppose the salary cap issue is the real killer. I'll be interested to see what our plan is in terms of getting bigs moving forward, we just don't appear to have the beef to do much more than what we did last year.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Our medical staff had indicated that three years after he signed his big deal with NY, his knees would start to deteriorate. I'm not sure that's the case, but his production has been decreasing. I think it'd be a liability to bring him back because of the potential that he could miss more games.

That being said, I think he'd simply clog our cap space.

Also, I don't think the organization wants him back. First, when they tried to re-sign him before he left for NY, they couldn't find insurance to cover his salary in the event of a long-term injury, and I'm not so sure our medical staff would give a clean bill of health.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our medical staff had indicated that three years after he signed his big deal with NY, his knees would start to deteriorate. I'm not sure that's the case, but his production has been decreasing. I think it'd be a liability to bring him back because of the potential that he could miss more games.

That being said, I think he'd simply clog our cap space.

Also, I don't think the organization wants him back. First, when they tried to re-sign him before he left for NY, they couldn't find insurance to cover his salary in the event of a long-term injury, and I'm not so sure our medical staff would give a clean bill of health.

Ya, but what if he has an "injury-free practice" and "is dunking a basketball" like Penny back in the day.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Markieff right now is better than Amare though even if Amare stays reasonably healthy.

This just what I was thinking. Markieff is probably better than Amare right now and Amare is on the decline, Keef might have a little more to rise before he hits his ceiling (not much I think).

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
When the thought
hits your mind
Power Forward
endless time

That's A-mar-e

(no thanks, homie's wheels are an issue)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the thought
hits your mind
Power Forward
endless time

That's A-mar-e

(no thanks, homie's wheels are an issue)

When your knees just don't work
And you defend like a jerk
That's Amare...

sorry, just a song.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
When your knees just don't work
And you defend like a jerk
That's Amare...

sorry, just a song.
Scuza me, but you see
Back in ol' NYC
That's Amar'e.

And let's keep it that way.

Right, Dino? :D

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you defend like an old man
and vertical is no higher than a tin can
That's Amar'e

:D

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want a man with a sure hand
I want a shooter with an easy touch
I want a player who will earn the dime
Not waste the pass in a heated rush
I want a scorer who will understand
When it comes to ballin', I want a sure hand.

Steve (The Pointless Brother)

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want a man with a sure hand
I want a shooter with an easy touch
I want a player who will earn the dime
Not waste the pass in a heated rush
I want a scorer who will understand
When it comes to ballin', I want a sure hand.

Steve (The Pointless Brother)

Sigh. I'm not sure, but I think I should be embarrassed that I knew what you were doing from the first line. Worse... I sang the following lines to myself instead of reading it.
:billthecat:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sigh. I'm not sure, but I think I should be embarrassed that I knew what you were doing from the first line. Worse... I sang the following lines to myself instead of reading it.
:billthecat:

You're embarrassed? Imagine how I felt typing it. I had flashbacks to a legendary post on the Cards board (going to the prom with Plummer). But doing another version of That's Amore seemed too easy so I followed the beat of a different drummer.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm glad I did not dare put up my version. It was terrible especially compared to AzStevenCal.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn