Who wins FIFA World Player of the Year?

Who will win the FIFA World Player of the Year?

• Lionel Messi, Barcelona

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Cristiano Ronaldo, Real Madrid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wayne Rooney, Manchester

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other: Who?

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A bit early, but lets start a discussion. Who do you guys think will win it?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Depends on who wins the World Cup..

Doubt that will be Argentina, England or Portgual so neither of them.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Depends on who wins the World Cup..

Doubt that will be Argentina, England or Portgual so neither of them.

Really? Argentinas been struggling, but they have more talent than anyone else. Looked like Diegos finally getting his crap together in the W vs Germany.

Capellos team looks pretty dangerous to me. Surely I'm not alone :/

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
No contest, it's Lionel Messi. The guy is playing on a different level than anybody, including Rooney and Ronaldo.

8 goals in the past 3 games. 8!!

How can you base it on the World Cup winner? If Brazil wins it (and they probably will), there is no player on that team that you can give it to with a straight face. Kaka is good, but he's not player of the year material so far in the first 3 months of this year. If Spain wins, I suppose there is an argument for Andres Iniesta or Xavi Hernandez, but Messi's last 2 months or so have been some of the best soccer played in years. The guy isn't human. If he keeps it up through the rest of the Primera season and into the beginning of next season, it won't matter what Argentina does in the Cup.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Yes it will matter, in World Cup years the Player of the Year usually is at least in the semi-finals.

I don't see Argentina getting there really.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As much as it pains me to say it Rooney has been in outstanding form this whole season. I would have said Messi a few months ago for sure but Rooney has taken his game to the next level.

I see England and Argentina doing well at the World Cup so don't see that as a problem.

Jermaine Beckford should win it but what do International managers know anyway!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
As much as it pains me to say it Rooney has been in outstanding form this whole season. I would have said Messi a few months ago for sure but Rooney has taken his game to the next level.

I see England and Argentina doing well at the World Cup so don't see that as a problem.

Jermaine Beckford should win it but what do International managers know anyway!

So what level is Messi at then? Hilarious.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So what level is Messi at then? Hilarious.
Just checking where I said Messi wasn't at the top level . . . . oh yeah, I didn't.

Rooney has taken HIS game to the next level, the level that Messi is already at. I still think Messi is the best in the World but it isn't as clear as it used to be.

Messi also has two other top 10 players in the same team as well as Ibrahimovic up front. Rooney doesn't.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
2-4 weeks out apparently. Should be fine for the World Cup to get beaten by the US in the first game.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that in at least 90% if not 100% of the World Cup years the World Player of the Year award was always rewarded to the World Cup winner.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tevez only has 4 less goals than Rooney why isnt he considered? 22 goals 4th in the premier league on a less talented team than Rooney...