Who will be the Cardinals' starting QB to begin the season

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gall it would take to roll out Colt as the starter in the home opener after going 1-12 in our last 13 home games is off the charts. Even Michael can't be that out of touch with the fan base, right? Right?!?
Especially with the absolutely stripped down, bare bones roster devoid of much A-list or even B-list talent across the board.

I’m actually very surprised. I expected next to nothing in FA, whether that meant retaining our best two guys or going after any kind of impact player. That obviously wasn’t going to be in the Cards. But I Really thought we’d at the very least go out and get a band-aid QB for the first half of the season. But screw the band-aid… Colt as opening day starter is more like throwing a wet napkin on a gaping wound.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Watching the PHNX Cardinals Podcast, it sounds like they're in the know on who it may be. All they'll say is that it's someone who has started games in the NFL. And they don't seem to think that it's McCoy. Wentz? He's pretty bad, but can run & throw. And he's similar in size to Brissett, who the Cardinals did like, but weren't going to pay what Washington paid. I really don't care who it is, as I'm ok with another top 5 pick next year. As long as we're a more physical football team AND don't lead the league in penalties, I really don't care what our record is.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Josh Dobbs, but he is not known for his ability to run... which makes me go full THESMEL, this team needs to be known for running beyond the QB :)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Watching the PHNX Cardinals Podcast, it sounds like they're in the know on who it may be. All they'll say is that it's someone who has started games in the NFL. And they don't seem to think that it's McCoy. Wentz? He's pretty bad, but can run & throw. And he's similar in size to Brissett, who the Cardinals did like, but weren't going to pay what Washington paid. I really don't care who it is, as I'm ok with another top 5 pick next year. As long as we're a more physical football team AND don't lead the league in penalties, I really don't care what our record is.
If we sign Wentz I will pretty much be out on this regime.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They will find some one to ensure a top 5 pick again next year to get rid of Kyler. So it will be someone who cannot win a game.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Bridgewater and Wentz won’t make it thru 3 games.
Neither will Colt, so we kinda need to find someone.

The cupboard is getting pretty bare here though. I think drafting a QB this year would be a... very poor idea. Because if Kyler doesn't come back right, we'll be in a position to draft a top guy. So, we shouldn't be burning a 3rd or 4th round pick on a rookie when next year, it's a possibility we'd have a rookie too.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The cupboard is getting pretty bare here though. I think drafting a QB this year would be a... very poor idea. Because if Kyler doesn't come back right, we'll be in a position to draft a top guy. So, we shouldn't be burning a 3rd or 4th round pick on a rookie when next year, it's a possibility we'd have a rookie too.
Look at Purdy last year. I would “ waste “ a 6 th round for a guy that is mobile and similar to Murray.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Look at Purdy last year. I would “ waste “ a 6 th round for a guy that is mobile and similar to Murray.
Purdy's a major exception to the rule. Go back and look at all of the completely washed out QBs over the years.

I feel like sometimes much of the board leans way into recency bias.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Kyler is 25. He is a gym rat. He has been rehabbing hard. You have to give him credit for that. He may not start but he may well be back much sooner than many think.

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score

I'm starting to think this is the perfect year to spend a day 3 pick on a QB. I doubt Kyler even takes a snap next year. Very rarely do 3rd day QB picks have the opportunity to accumulate the reps and the coaching time that we will have available next season.

Maybe we do find a diamond in the rough. Maybe we find a cheap back up QB for the next 4 years. At worst we waste a day 3 pick. I see little downside in picking a QB late this year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Do we?

The whole point of this year is to conserve resources in an already lost season.

Obviously we still need a 3rd QB to backup Colt. If Colt gets hurt that guy will step in. We will lose but then next year is already a write off.

Nobody can restructure the roster and get the cap in shape to challenge down the road while also challenging next year. Especially with a bang up QB.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Do we?

The whole point of this year is to conserve resources in an already lost season.

Obviously we still need a 3rd QB to backup Colt. If Colt gets hurt that guy will step in. We will lose but then next year is already a write off.

Nobody can restructure the roster and get the cap in shape to challenge down the road while also challenging next year. Especially with a bang up QB.
I'm not sure if we're referring to the same "next year." I'm operating under the possible assumption that there's a chance we get Kyler back for a few games in 2023, he looks middling, and we have a real issue with Caleb Williams or Drake Maye staring us down (of course knowing that either guy could fall off a cliff when it comes to production) in the 2024 draft. Then we have to make a decision about whether or not Kyler is really our future or not.

If that were the case, and we wanted to pull the trigger on either guy, we'd be absolutely burying what would be a pretty premium 3rd round pick or top 4th round pick on a QB that was functionally a half-season rental. Longer term I'd rather load up on other positions with those picks.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Purdy's a major exception to the rule. Go back and look at all of the completely washed out QBs over the years.

I feel like sometimes much of the board leans way into recency bias.
Considering how many 6th round picks actually make an impact I don’t think it’s a waste. I’d rather watch that than Wentz.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Kyler is 25. He is a gym rat. He has been rehabbing hard. You have to give him credit for that. He may not start but he may well be back much sooner than many think.
Hes also a call of duty rat, a sulk on the end of the bench rat, and as tall as a rat.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Considering how many 6th round picks actually make an impact I don’t think it’s a waste. I’d rather watch that than Wentz.
You might wanna go back and check out the history on that one... the meaningful success rate of guys from the third round on is pretty abysmal. Trust me, I've never been a Wentz guy, but most of the names on this list are complete dreck: