Who Starts Week 1 at Wide Receiver?

Who are the Starting WRs Week 1?

• Troy Franklin (First-round pick)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roman Wilson, MI (Second-day pick)

• Ja'Lynn Polk, WAS (Second-day pick)

• Jaylan McMillan, WAS (Second-day pick)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Someone like Boyd would be nice. I just feel like this is the time of the offseason where guys are either accepting super cheap deals or waiting until after the draft to see what teams still have holes to fill.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Eh my eyes tell me that McBride is for real. And Wilson did prove he's an NFL receiver at minimum.

I think any NFL passing attack needs three medium to high level producers to be effective. I think that McBride is one and that Wilson can be a medium level producer.

I think there is a universe where MHJ, Wilson, and McBride can be the basis of a good NFL passing attack, but I think that's kind of a risky proposition to assume it's good enough.
and if so, they will beat competition that is brought in. The point being is they both had minimal competition last year, did not produce in meaningful games, and will need to prove it wasn't stats based on garbage time productivity and a bare bones roster.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and if so, they will beat competition that is brought in. The point being is they both had minimal competition last year, did not produce in meaningful games, and will need to prove it wasn't stats based on garbage time productivity and a bare bones roster.
You could argue that there were no meaningful games for them to play in...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Ok...I will bite.

Which WR group do you think is more likely to be better over the next two years?

MHJ
Wilson
Dortch
Pascal
Rookie mid round WR

AND pick 35

or

Diggs
MHJ
Wilson
Dortch
Pascal

WITHOUT pick 35

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You could argue that there were no meaningful games for them to play in...
That isn't an argument. Both phrasings indicate those players didn't do something which in this case is produce in meaningful games. This is why it is important to have a talented roster. It helps you evaluate players properly.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That isn't an argument. Both phrasings indicate those players didn't do something which in this case is produce in meaningful games. This is why it is important to have a talented roster. It helps you evaluate players properly.
How is it not?
Either we were too poor to have meaningful games to play in,
or all games are meaningful and they didn't produce enough,
or they did produce, but it wasn't against a good team, I guess? (we aren't one of those either)

Meaningful is subjective, and that subjectivity is what I am arguing.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
How is it not? Either we were too poor to have meaningful games to play in, or all games are meaningful and they didn't produce enough. Meaningful is subjective, and that subjectivity is what I am arguing.
Not having the opportunity to do something does not support an argument that you can do it. It provides no proof.

You can't argue Phillip Rivers was a Super Bowl level QB because he never played in a Super Bowl.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Not having the opportunity to do something does not support an argument that you can do it. It provides no proof.

You can't argue Phillip Rivers was a Super Bowl level QB because he never played in a Super Bowl.
make that argument with Dan Marino, lol

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Ok...I will bite.

Which WR group do you think is more likely to be better over the next two years?

MHJ
Wilson
Dortch
Pascal
Rookie mid round WR

AND pick 35

or

Diggs
MHJ
Wilson
Dortch
Pascal

WITHOUT pick 35
Option #1 by far. Not to mention that I don't think we draft MHJ if we trade for Diggs so you're bringing up a pretty nonsensical scenario, IMO. It'd be more like... Diggs and Malachi Corley.

OR......it provides competition which results in the best player, playing.
If you're paying a guy veteran money he already has the leg up in the competition. Replacing Wilson AND bringing a highly drafted rookie basically means shutting the door on that pick (that pick being Wilson).

Exception to Tyler Boyd here since they play different roles on the field, but if you brought in an X/Y guy and pay him big money, and especially then draft a guy in the top two rounds, it's pretty much settled... Wilson's remaining place would be the bench and a competition with Pascal and Moore to even make the roster, not to be on the field.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then how do you prove something subjective like 'meaningful games?'
Uh, what? You can definitely argue it. If a player is at or near the best at their position for a sustained time, why couldn't you argue it?

Or conversely, was Trent Dilfer a Super Bowl level QB because his running game and defense won him a Super Bowl?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok...I will bite.

MHJ
Wilson
Dortch
Pascal
Rookie mid round WR

AND pick 35

or

Diggs
MHJ
Wilson
Dortch
Pascal

WITHOUT pick 35
Well obviously the 2nd one, but you assume Diggs would be fine coming here at his age - and I don't think he would be as I'm sure he still sees it as a rebuild.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
He made it to the Super Bowl. super Bowl level QB. I never mentioned Super Bowl winning QB.
so...if you had to build a team you would take Trent Dilfer over Philip Rivers?

I guess Doug Williams over Dan Marino too?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He made it to the Super Bowl. super Bowl level QB. I never mentioned Super Bowl winning QB.
Rather myopic view. If the player sits the bench on a team but never played but a few snaps, is that player a super bowl level player too?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Then how do you prove something subjective like 'meaningful games?'

Uh, what? You can definitely argue it. If a player is at or near the best at their position for a sustained time, why couldn't you argue it?

Or conversely, was Trent Dilfer a Super Bowl level QB because his running game and defense won him a Super Bowl?
It is an argument to argue. It is the argument made by someone who is not interested in actual discourse. It is a troll level argument.

Being the best player on a bad team doesn't make you a good player. Producing garbage time stats for a terrible team doesn't make you a good player. That doesn't mean the player can't be good, but they aren't yet.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
so...if you had to build a team you would take Trent Dilfer over Philip Rivers?

I guess Doug Williams over Dan Marino too?
I would rather have Phillip Rivers but that doesn't mean he would be play better in a Super Bowl than Trent Dilfer, and maybe it would mean my team would never go to a Super Bowl.

Dan Marino played in a Super Bowl so I don't know why you are bringing him up.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
1000 yards receiving makes a difference. Being the best WR on a team that goes to the playoffs makes a difference.
1000 yards receiving with one of the best QBs in the NFL is one thing... and his absolute fall off of a cliff at the back half of last season is scary, given his age. It's also worth mention that Buffalo doesn't really have a #1 WR now, and was willing to let go of the guy for... not much.

What's done is done at this point though - at the end of the day this thread is about who starts for us week 1, and it's not going to be Diggs.

Ideally, what would you do right now if you were the Cardinals?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I would rather have Phillip Rivers but that doesn't mean he would be play better in a Super Bowl than Trent Dilfer, and maybe it would mean my team would never go to a Super Bowl.

Dan Marino played in a Super Bowl so I don't know why you are bringing him up.
simply because the point in going to the big game is to win. Danny never did. But Doug Williams won one.

unless you would be happy going to the SB but never actually winning?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard