Which Power Forward in the draft do you prefer?

Which PF do you prefer?

• De’Andre Hunter

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Brandon Clarke

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Barrett falling to #4 works too well for the Lakers. That would make their pick much more valuable in a trade, which is rumored to be their plan to add talent to help Lebron right away. That pick then might interest New Orleans, if they want to open up talks with them involving Anthony Davis again. Even if New Orleans isn't interested, more teams will call about Barrett than Garland, Culver, White, or anyone else that is projected to be there.
Unless the Pelicans indicate there is a specific player they want. Which could be an indicator when LA picks. Watching what they do could tip if there's a trade in the works. I see your reasoning, but the NBA is a liar's season just like the NFL. Look at poor Mikal Bridges. He was really excited to play for the Sixers! So was his Mom. You NEVER know what's going to happen on draft night. Like I said, I would rather have LA take him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So in that scenario, do you resign Oubre? I have been debating that. Maybe if this happens, you roll with the SFs we got and spend free agent money on PG and PF?
Sign Oubre, play him at pf. Or Sign and trade for a pg.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sign Oubre, play him at pf. Or Sign and trade for a pg.

I agree with this take. The Suns take a step back if they lose Oubre. So they would have to take two steps forward to compensate.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with this take. The Suns take a step back if they lose Oubre. So they would have to take two steps forward to compensate.
I think there would be a decent market for Oubre as a S&T. Teams need multiple effective wings.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there would be a decent market for Oubre as a S&T. Teams need multiple effective wings.

Yeah, I agree with the sign and trade aspect but I really want to keep Oubre. I think the danger is a team like the Nets with cap space might swoop-in and offer Oubre a contract larger than the Suns care to pay.

If Oubre is willing to wait, the Suns might be able to pay him what he wants after they sign other free agents.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think that's mostly a pipe dream these days. There's very little reason for the acquiring team to go that route anymore and certainly not this offseason when there is so much cap space available.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I'm with Mainstreet. Keep Oubre! He was a very positive result for our team and his teammates. He became the heart and soul of the team within 25 games. That's impressive and that makes him a keeper in my book.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think you sign Oubre to keep him. If you are worried about price, who would you sign and trade him to? The team that tried to sign him as a restricted free agent? I was just thinking the price for Oubre will be a lot, and if you get Barrett you get a rookie salary. Then you spend the money on PG and PF possibly.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think that's mostly a pipe dream these days. There's very little reason for the acquiring team to go that route anymore and certainly not this offseason when there is so much cap space available.
There is lots of motivation with restricted free agents. We can just match, which is what we should threaten to do (and follow through on).

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you sign Oubre to keep him. If you are worried about price, who would you sign and trade him to? The team that tried to sign him as a restricted free agent? I was just thinking the price for Oubre will be a lot, and if you get Barrett you get a rookie salary. Then you spend the money on PG and PF possibly.
The only reason to sign and trade him is if, somehow, RJ falls to us. If not, we just sign him and keep him. He has been great for team chemistry and he wants to be here. If Barrett falls to us, Barrett is also a pretty good trade chip.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team won 19 games last year anybody not named Booker or Ayton can go.

I like Oubre way more than Warren and Jackson at this point in his career. Pay him what he’s worth but don’t over pay like crazy

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The only reason to sign and trade him is if, somehow, RJ falls to us. If not, we just sign him and keep him. He has been great for team chemistry and he wants to be here. If Barrett falls to us, Barrett is also a pretty good trade chip.

There is no way Barrett falls to us. He either goes #3 to the Knicks, or if the Knicks are dumb enough to pass on him for Culver, he goes #4 to the Lakers.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is lots of motivation with restricted free agents. We can just match, which is what we should threaten to do (and follow through on).

I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

Once we match, we can't trade him to the team that made the offer for a full season I believe. Or, if you're suggesting we tell them we'll match unless they agree to a sign and trade, I think that's called collusion (conspiring to violate FA rights of the player) and the league will slap us silly. Or if you're just suggesting they'll rush to the table for a sign and trade in fear that we will match and if that's what you meant, I'd ask you how come there are so few S&T's the past few years if that was a workable threat. Did I miss an interpretation here?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Once we match, we can't trade him to the team that made the offer for a full season I believe. Or, if you're suggesting we tell them we'll match unless they agree to a sign and trade, I think that's called collusion (conspiring to violate FA rights of the player) and the league will slap us silly. Or if you're just suggesting they'll rush to the table for a sign and trade in fear that we will match and if that's what you meant, I'd ask you how come there are so few S&T's the past few years if that was a workable threat. Did I miss an interpretation here?
I do not think #2 is illegal. But I might be wrong. The way you communicate that is through the player's agent.

"We want to keep you here and we will match any offer. But if you really really want to go somewhere, we will only consider it if we get a sign and trade for a point guard that is acceptable to us. Please feel free to relate that as you go out into the market."

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Actually I think that happens all the time. Or maybe it used to. I mean, how else did we get the hawks pick and diaw for JJ?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually I think that happens all the time. Or maybe it used to. I mean, how else did we get the hawks pick and diaw for JJ?

I think the rules changed on this some time after the JJ trade but now I'm starting to wonder if I'm confused here. I know the teams have been instructed to NOT announce or leak that they will match offers. And I know that they put restrictions in place about not being able to trade a player after the team has matched. But I'm trying to remember why I think it's against the rules to work it out between organizations (without prior player approval) and I'm not sure I'm not borrowing from another sport?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not think #2 is illegal. But I might be wrong. The way you communicate that is through the player's agent.

"We want to keep you here and we will match any offer. But if you really really want to go somewhere, we will only consider it if we get a sign and trade for a point guard that is acceptable to us. Please feel free to relate that as you go out into the market."

Okay, I'd imagine that's legal but I don't think it's all that effective. Again, where have all the sign and trades gone if that actually works? Have I fallen asleep and missed a bunch of them the past few years (not sarcasm)? They seem to be pretty rare especially in a climate where there are so many teams with cap room.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure about rule changes either. However, in years past teams would say they are going to match any offer to a RFA player. For some reason I'm not hearing this from teams or at least the Suns.

I think doing it through an agent as you suggest later in the thread is fine.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there, the whole structure of a home team signing their player for more than another team goes out the window if you can just sign and trade around that. I would think there would be MORE sign and trades to get those 200+ million contracts.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there, the whole structure of a home team signing their player for more than another team goes out the window if you can just sign and trade around that. I would think there would be MORE sign and trades to get those 200+ million contracts.

There were changes in that area too. It used to be you could sign and trade a player and give them the true max in dollars and years and pass it on to the other team but now, that's only available to the team that has the player. Once you sign him to that kind of contract, he is untradable for awhile (mid season, something like that). It they are doing a sign and trade it's now limited to whatever the other teams are allowed to offer which means less money, lower raises, one less year.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw NBADraft.net had Brandon Clarke falling all the way to Utah at #23. If we could somehow make a deal to trade down and get a future pick or possible trade up with our 2nd round pick, adding a player like Clarke in the 20's would be a good grab, if possible. I guess we'll need to wait for the draft to start to see if he'll fall that much but it's not that surprising since his measurements were bad. Falling from a potential top 5 pick to #23 is quite jarring based on measurements alone.

CBS Sports has him falling to #11, #14, and #11.

They have Garland going to use at #6 for all 3 "experts" with White going #7 but this thread is about PF's so I thought I'd mention our pick.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/mock-draft/

Here is NBADraft.net's mock

https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Clarke never was a potential #5 pick.

He is a prospect in the mold of Jordan Bell, similiar stats, similiar build.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
From the Athletic:

Hunter is on the biggest stage in the ACC: the exact reason he chose to attend Virginia.

“It’s the best conference in college basketball,” Hunter said. “I grew up watching Syracuse, and the Duke-North Carolina rivalry, so I always wanted to play those teams. Virginia was a really good school that was up-and-coming, so I decided I wanted to be a part of that.”

By the end of the season, we should know all we need to know about Hunter. He’ll enter the season at No. 7 on The Athletic‘s NBA Draft Big Board, with his projection being that of a potential NBA starter who can play on both ends of the floor at the stretch-four position, make plays for others, and be a terrific secondary offensive player. He’s probably not an NBA star, but the NBA is scouring all levels of basketball for guys like Hunter to slide in next to stars and do the dirty work. Maybe that’s not what people typically think of when they discuss a top-10 draft prospect, but it’s what the NBA is moving toward, and the Hunter/Anunoby prototype is a prime example of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose