Where were you...?

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
25 years ago today when you heard the news of Lennon's death?

I was watching Monday Night Football and Howard Cosell broke into the game and made the announcement. I couldn't believe it - he was such a huge influence in me even picking up a guitar and wanting to write songs.

Thinking about it still makes me sad - I remember after hearing the news I didn't finish watching the game - I pulled out the White Album, locked myself in my room listening to it and cried.

shawn

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was 8 and said, "Lennon who?" I actually don't even remembering it happening. Funny, because I remember when Elvis died. (I was 5, I think, and really did say, Elvis who?)

Since then, however, now that I do know who they were, I am very sad about it all. (Both, as a matter of fact).

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Can't remember where I was, although I remember being a lil sad. I was still a kid, and I knew of him pretty well from my parents Magical Mystery Tour album, and the Yellow Submarine movie.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Senior in HS, working at Rax Roast Beef in Springfield, IL. Manager came in and said - "Someone just f***** shot John Lennon"

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was 3 and probably crapped my pants

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember I was relaxing with a scotch, as I'm prone to do after a particularly hard day. I had just put my feet up, lit my pipe and turned on "Mystery!" on PBS when my mother burst into the room and said:

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? JOHN LENNON JUST DIED AND MY 8-YEAR OLD SON IS DRINKING SCOTCH AND SMOKING A PIPE?!!"

Yes, that was quite a memorable night.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was 7 and vaguely recall it...didn't understand the impact of course.

As a teenager when I really started listening to the Beatles, (instead of just hearing them) I understood and it's a damn dirty shame.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I remember I was relaxing with a scotch, as I'm prone to do after a particularly hard day. I had just put my feet up, lit my pipe and turned on "Mystery!" on PBS when my mother burst into the room and said:

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? JOHN LENNON JUST DIED AND MY 8-YEAR OLD SON IS DRINKING SCOTCH AND SMOKING A PIPE?!!"

:thumbup: :biglaugh:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:

:biglaugh:

I was only 9 and don't even remember when I first heard about it. :shrug:

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I was 8. I remember it cause my uncle, who like 14, and a bunch of older kids from the neighborhood were talking about it.

I made a really stupid joke about Chapman liking Hula music and thats why he killed Lennon, and they told me to go away.

:(

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah I was like 9, and my 5th grade teacher told the class about it. She turned on the radio so we could all hear the news account. Didn't really know who he was, but she was good enough to tell us little kids that he was the man who made the music for Yellow Submarine. A lot of the class knew that movie I guess. Then later that evening I remember hearing about it on Monday Night Football. Or maybe I got that part reversed...
nixweiss.gif

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
FischerKing said:
25 years ago today when you heard the news of Lennon's death?

I was watching Monday Night Football and Howard Cosell broke into the game and made the announcement. I couldn't believe it - he was such a huge influence in me even picking up a guitar and wanting to write songs.

shawn
Howard Cosell was your musical influence? :D

I heard about it on MNF too. I can still hear Howard's voice, "Dead...on...arrival." I was 14 at the time.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
I was 1 and problably sucking my mother's breasts...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson