Where is the "trade Amare" thread?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
LOL

Minnesota's best player (and one of the top 5 in the league) traded for a little-used backup point guard and our 4th best player? Nobody in their right mind (not even Isaiah) would trade Garnett to us, leaving us with a lineup of Nash, Amare, KG and Marion (and whoever else--a plastic blow-up doll would be fine). Never.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
well, are they better right now? if they trade KG off course they will get bad yrs but they had that last yr with him.

the thing is it may not look as if diaw and banks can help but its better than minnesotta getting nothing in return for KG.

What makes you think they'll get nothing for KG?? You act like Phoenix is the only possible trading partner for Minny. Other teams will cough up good assets for Garnett.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
LOL

Minnesota's best player (and one of the top 5 in the league) traded for a little-used backup point guard and our 4th best player? Nobody in their right mind (not even Isaiah) would trade Garnett to us, leaving us with a lineup of Nash, Amare, KG and Marion (and whoever else--a plastic blow-up doll would be fine). Never.
I like it!

With Barbosa coming off the bench for the blow up doll, we can't lose!

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
We might be able to swing the Atlanta pick, Leandro Barbosa, Marcus Banks, and Shawn Marion for KG.

Scot1

Registered
Reaction score
Amare for KG, straight-up [plus whatever deadwood it takes to get the money right]...hmmm. I would give up Amare only in the rarest of cases, but: we don't know how long his knee will last, we don't know if his temper will improve or if the respect he gets from refs will continue to decline. If we had KG and his game in addition to Nash and the rest of our team, we Might be a shoo-in to the championship this year and next. After that, who knows, the donkey may learn to sing.

I don't know that I'm serious about this, but it's a trade that could almost surely be made. I admit I'm spooked about this year's playoffs--no real good reason, just spooked--things should be coming together and they don't seem to be. Not Amare's fault, but KG might pull things together better....

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amare for KG, straight-up [plus whatever deadwood it takes to get the money right]...hmmm. I would give up Amare only in the rarest of cases, but: we don't know how long his knee will last, we don't know if his temper will improve or if the respect he gets from refs will continue to decline. If we had KG and his game in addition to Nash and the rest of our team, we Might be a shoo-in to the championship this year and next. After that, who knows, the donkey may learn to sing.

I don't know that I'm serious about this, but it's a trade that could almost surely be made. I admit I'm spooked about this year's playoffs--no real good reason, just spooked--things should be coming together and they don't seem to be. Not Amare's fault, but KG might pull things together better....

OK the KG love has gotten rediculous. Earlier in the year the debate was over Marion for KG and some other considertations/players. Now people are suggesting Amare for KG? Talk about overrated. I love KG's game but he gets us no closer to a title if you swap Amare for KG. Add him to Amare and then I could buy that argument. Even then I wouldn't be totally convinced.

asudevil83

Reaction score
OK the KG love has gotten rediculous. Earlier in the year the debate was over Marion for KG and some other considertations/players. Now people are suggesting Amare for KG? Talk about overrated. I love KG's game but he gets us no closer to a title if you swap Amare for KG. Add him to Amare and then I could buy that argument. Even then I wouldn't be totally convinced.

not to mention that Amare is 6.5 years younger, makes $9mil less next season, almost $10mil less the following season, and is signed for 2 more years after that.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok. Let's consider Minny's position. If they trade KG, they are shaking it up, which means that they would be looking for:

1. Young promising players. We have 2 of those. Barbosa and Diaw. Amare would be in that category, but he is not on the table. They would also be interested in Banks (who played well for them) and James Jones.

2. Multi-players. They are not going to get anyone that will help them in a one for one swap for KG. They have to get multiple players and build a younger core. While Marion would be nice, he is not enough.

3. Picks. They don't need them all this year. I would think that they would be looking for at least 3 first rounders over the next three years or so. Its tough to incorporate too many rookies in a given year. Its better to a 1 or 2 each year.

4. Cap space. KG eats up a lot of Minny $ each year. They could take that money and purchase a few really good role players that would make a difference in their team. This is where they would likely get vets. They would want players like Raja who are good lockerroom guys and emotional leaders on the floor.

So, who might Minny be interested in, in a deal for KG: LB, Diaw, KT (for cap relief later), Raja (decent contract, helpful vet), James Jones (quality role player on a decent deal), Marion (quality player and with the cap #'s to make the deal happen, although he would not be their primary target) and loads of picks.

Its silly to criticize trade proposals here with things like "minny's #1 player for our #4" because there are so many other factors that matter more--like picks and cap space.

If Minny wants just one great player, they need to keep KG, otherwise it will be a package of "lesser values" that will allow them to build for the future.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
So, who might Minny be interested in, in a deal for KG: LB, Diaw, KT (for cap relief later), Raja (decent contract, helpful vet), James Jones (quality role player on a decent deal), Marion (quality player and with the cap #'s to make the deal happen, although he would not be their primary target) and loads of picks.
Geez....just throw in Nash while we're at it. Then we can just convert to Wolves fans and have the same team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Geez....just throw in Nash while we're at it. Then we can just convert to Wolves fans and have the same team.

Good grief. I wasn't proposing a trade--much less ALL of those players. I was just evaluating what type of players Minny would be interested in and why Minny would be attracted by things other than players.

asudevil83

Reaction score
Ok. Let's consider Minny's position. If they trade KG, they are shaking it up, which means that they would be looking for:

1. Young promising players. We have 2 of those. Barbosa and Diaw. Amare would be in that category, but he is not on the table. They would also be interested in Banks (who played well for them) and James Jones.

2. Multi-players. They are not going to get anyone that will help them in a one for one swap for KG. They have to get multiple players and build a younger core. While Marion would be nice, he is not enough.

3. Picks. They don't need them all this year. I would think that they would be looking for at least 3 first rounders over the next three years or so. Its tough to incorporate too many rookies in a given year. Its better to a 1 or 2 each year.

4. Cap space. KG eats up a lot of Minny $ each year. They could take that money and purchase a few really good role players that would make a difference in their team. This is where they would likely get vets. They would want players like Raja who are good lockerroom guys and emotional leaders on the floor.

Its silly to criticize trade proposals here with things like "minny's #1 player for our #4" because there are so many other factors that matter more--like picks and cap space.

If Minny wants just one great player, they need to keep KG, otherwise it will be a package of "lesser values" that will allow them to build for the future.

1.) the LAST thing Minny would want back is Banks. a.) he played for them, and didnt even offer to extend his contract. b.) they already have a boadload of expensive PG's with LONG contracts. James/Jaric/Hudson....along with Foye. Banks would just add to that debacle.

2.) we are talking about WAY too many draft picks here. what did Philly get for Iverson? an expiring (Smith), HIGH quality PG (Miller), and two late first rounders.

the ABSOLUTE MOST i'd ever offer for Garnett (based off of the star trades over the past couple years) would be

Garnett/Blount
Marion/KT/Atlanta Pick

Minny eliminates one of their long, bad contracts. they also get an all-star SF, an expiring contract, and lotto pick.

the funny thing is that not many teams can trade for KG without putting themselves in the same position as Minny is now. giving up draft picks, taking on bad contracts, luxury tax problems.....it all comes along with KG. ironic

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You guys realize that KG is one of the five best players playing right now. If anything, that might not be enough.

Well gee lets just trade the whole team for him then. I mean he's one of the 5 best players so he must be worth any price I guess.

Skumbag

Registered
Reaction score
Where is the "Trade Raja" thread? homeboy has been shooting like Junior as of late (minus the twolves game)...