When was the Last Time ASU Made the NCAA Tourney?

HooverDam

Reaction score
]
The jury's still out on Sendek. He never did anything noteworthy at State and ASU showed zero improvement last year and is awful again this year. All he's done is land one good player and he had to hire his high school coach to do it.

Nothing noteworthy? I'd consider 5 straight NCAA tournament appearance, and ACC Coach of the year (and previously MAC coach of the year) to be noteworthy myself.

I also think its silly to say he's landed one 'good' player. I'd say he's landed one potentially great player (Harden) and a few good players. Boateng, Abbott, Polk, et cetera are all Pac 10 type talent, which ASU wasn't routinely landing under Evans. None of them are stars yet, but they'll all probably stay in the program for 3 or 4 years and be pretty good by the time they are upper class-men or seniors.

To be a bit more detailed, lets look at some of the players Herb has landed and other schools who were interested in those players (which I often think is a better way of judging them than the star system):

2008:
Johnny Coy- Kansas, Wash St, Mizzou, UNLV, Creighton, Wichita St
Taylor Rohde- ASU, New Mexico. Herb got on him early, so its hard to judge who else would've come after him.

2007:
Ty Abbott- Vandy, VaTech, Utah, New Mexico, UConn, Illinois, Oregon, Washington St, Wichita St
Rihards Kuksiks- Duke, Kansas, Stanford, St Johns
Kraidon Woods- Georgetown, Maryland, Villanova, VaTech, St Johns
Jamelle McMillan- Boston College, Celmson, Ga Tech, Illinois, Stanford, Washington
James Harden-Arizona, Texas, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington St

2006:
Jerren Shipp- Pepperdine, Washington St
Christian Polk- UConn, Florida St, Indiana, Oregon, Oregon St, Texas
Derek Glasser- USC, Utah

So, were all of them super heavily recruited? No. But are most of them being recruited by other Pac 10 or similar level schools? Yes. The quality of recruits that ASU is now going after is at least getting closer to what other Pac schools are going after, which was reflected by ASUs top 25 recruiting class.

So to say they've gotten 'one good player' seems to be a bit of an exaggeration.

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least Sendek is actually coaching.

Who has ever heard of taking a year off to get divorced? :shrug:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Nothing noteworthy? I'd consider 5 straight NCAA tournament appearance, and ACC Coach of the year (and previously MAC coach of the year) to be noteworthy myself.
And Karl Dorrell has gone to five straight bowl games and Dirk Koetter went to three straight and would've been five if he wasn't canned. Going to the Tourney is nothing significant with the 64 team field if you you get bounced on the first weekend every year, that's the hoops equivalent of the Insight.com Bowl.

I also think its silly to say he's landed one 'good' player. I'd say he's landed one potentially great player (Harden) and a few good players. Boateng, Abbott, Polk, et cetera are all Pac 10 type talent, which ASU wasn't routinely landing under Evans. None of them are stars yet, but they'll all probably stay in the program for 3 or 4 years and be pretty good by the time they are upper class-men or seniors.
Polk and Abbott are chuckers who miss a lot more than they make, they're probably going to be Curtis Millage caliber players if they round out. Either way, they're both role players at best on a good team and average Pac-10 players. Boateng isn't good, he can't even get much PT on a bad team with no bigs. Harden of course is the real deal.

Who has ever heard of taking a year off to get divorced?
It's more than the divorce obviously.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Not to worry, it's not a health issue. But there is a reason Lute is taking the whole year away from the program right now while he only took off a few weeks for his first wife's passing.

HooverDam

Reaction score
And Karl Dorrell has gone to five straight bowl games and Dirk Koetter went to three straight and would've been five if he wasn't canned. Going to the Tourney is nothing significant with the 64 team field if you you get bounced on the first weekend every year, that's the hoops equivalent of the Insight.com Bowl.

Your rebuttal to the coach of the year awards please? Or were those a fluke? As you know, considering where ASU hoops has been in the past 20 years or so, a coach who can consistently get them to the Tourney would be a huge upgrade.

Furthermore, you seem to have this mentality that whatever Herb did at NC State is the best he'll possibly do at ASU. What makes you think he couldn't do better at ASU than at NCState? Theoretically, Herb is older and wiser and has learned how to be a better coach. Though ASU doesn't have NCStates tradition, it does have a lot of things going for it that the Wolfpack doesn't, so I don't think its unreasonable to think that Herb could get ASU in the tourney consistently.

Polk and Abbott are chuckers who miss a lot more than they make, they're probably going to be Curtis Millage caliber players if they round out. Either way, they're both role players at best on a good team and average Pac-10 players. Boateng isn't good, he can't even get much PT on a bad team with no bigs. Harden of course is the real deal.

Well, I don't know of many guards who make more than they miss from 3, which is where those two take a lot of shots. The long range shots are by definition low percentage shots, even in college where the line is shorter. Plus they are a Sophomore and Freshman, they'll continue to grow and improve.

Even if you are right and they end up just being average Pac 10 players, isn't that an improvement over the quality that Evans had here? Evans had players on the squad at times that seemed like they should be at NAU, not ASU.

Boateng does have a lot of work to do, but he's got a good body and could end up being a nice player (though I don't think he'll ever be as good as Pendergraph). He started playing basketball very late in life, so he's obviously got a lot of work to do. If he can be taught to catch the ball, keep it up, and maybe develop one or two inside moves and then become a decent passer, that'll probably be good enough in Herbs system.

Basically the point I'm trying to make is, if Sendek is a basketball equivalent of Koetter, thats OK. If he gets ASU to the post season, but loses against top teams a lot, that'll probably be acceptable. UA I'm sure would be thrilled if they could get to the Hawaii/Sun/Insight type bowls every year, just as ASU would be thrilled to be making the NCAA Tourney every year.

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to worry, it's not a health issue. But there is a reason Lute is taking the whole year away from the program right now while he only took off a few weeks for his first wife's passing.

Is he scouting/recruiting? :D

HooverDam

Reaction score

You sure do seem to be 'in the know' and love the cryptic talk.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

To be a bit more detailed, lets look at some of the players Herb has landed and other schools who were interested in those players (which I often think is a better way of judging them than the star system):

2008:
Taylor Rohde- ASU, New Mexico. Herb got on him early, so its hard to judge who else would've come after him.

2007:
Ty Abbott- Vandy, VaTech, Utah, New Mexico, UConn, Illinois, Oregon, Washington St, Wichita St
Jamelle McMillan- Boston College, Celmson, Ga Tech, Illinois, Stanford, Washington

2006:
Derek Glasser- USC, Utah

So, were all of them super heavily recruited? No. But are most of them being recruited by other Pac 10 or similar level schools? Yes. The quality of recruits that ASU is now going after is at least getting closer to what other Pac schools are going after, which was reflected by ASUs top 25 recruiting class.

So to say they've gotten 'one good player' seems to be a bit of an exaggeration.

LMAO

Is this post for real??? I didn't realize anyone cared enough about ASU basketball to actually take the time to write a post like this....

If you excuse me I am off to start a thread in the U of A forum about how we hold the winning record in the Cup, have better players in the NFL, and last went to a New Years/Big time Bowl (99 Holiday Bowl) up until this year.;)

Actually no I am not - ITS BASKETBALL SEASON!

Know your role devil fans:thumbup:

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Not sure if I read right, but you saying Wildcats made the last big bowl out of our 2 schools? ASU went in '02....

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
2008:

2007:

2006:
Derek Glasser- USC, Utah

If anything's an exagerration it's the laughable list you have compiled. Showing interest means nothing in recruiting, Arizona "shows interest" by sending dozens of kids information and contacting them but really only offers several kids or less per year. Nobody else in the Pac-10 offered anything but walk-on status to the 2006 class. Glasser was on his way to being a walk-on at USC, Shipp was going to Loyola Marymount, and Polk was a falling star having gone from top 20 player nationally to not even the best player in his own city. The only player on this list that was offered by the elite programs was James Harden and to a small degree Jamelle McMillan. Their '08 class is awful, never seen Coy play but I have seen Rohde and he's your typical big man stiff. ASU missed on all of their top targets in 2008 (Derozan, Rotnei Clarke, Dufault, Woolridge, Jrue Holiday, Lavender).

And saying Evans never landed good players is revisionist history. He landed the Pac-10's best class in his second class (Donnell Knight, Tommy Smith, etc) and also managed to land Jeff Pendergraph and Ike Diogu. Tron Smith has also turned into a decent player for a solid St. Mary's squad. Evans ultimately failed because his PG's were not any good (Kyle Dodd and Jason Braxton, ugh) which is an issue Herb has yet to remedy.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
LMAO

Is this post for real??? I didn't realize anyone cared enough about ASU basketball to actually take the time to write a post like this....

If you excuse me I am off to start a thread in the U of A forum about how we hold the winning record in the Cup, have better players in the NFL, and last went to a New Years/Big time Bowl (99 Holiday Bowl) up until this year.;)

Actually no I am not - ITS BASKETBALL SEASON!

Know your role devil fans:thumbup:

If we are going to consider the overall record in the Territorial Cup, we should also consider the quality of players each school has sent to the NFL over the entire series. Anyone think UofA wins NFL player comparison?

And yes, UofA wins any bball comparison.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
If we are going to consider the overall record in the Territorial Cup, we should also consider the quality of players each school has sent to the NFL over the entire series. Anyone think UofA wins NFL player comparison?

And yes, UofA wins any bball comparison.

Well that direct piece of the post was toungue in cheek (more making fun of Hoover for actually arguing the "good" points about ASU basketball - much like it would be futile to argue the "good" points of UA football)But to a degree what I said was right. or maybe I am reaching......

Briggs
McAllister
Bruschi

Are all Pro Bowl Level guys and then we have some solid backs in Mike Bell and Chris Henry and the amazing Dennis Northcutt of course.

And don't EVER forget Joe Tafoya;)

who cares - the point I am making is that at least I can make an argument against you guys the supposed football school....

Now lets try the same game in the NBA.........

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that direct piece of the post was toungue in cheek (more making fun of Hoover for actually arguing the "good" points about ASU basketball - much like it would be futile to argue the "good" points of UA football)But to a degree what I said was right. or maybe I am reaching......

Briggs
McAllister
Bruschi

Are all Pro Bowl Level guys and then we have some solid backs in Mike Bell and Chris Henry and the amazing Dennis Northcutt of course.

And don't EVER forget Joe Tafoya;)

who cares - the point I am making is that at least I can make an argument against you guys the supposed football school....

Now lets try the same game in the NBA.........
Sorry, can't stay. Gotta go. Byron Scott has rings. Bye.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Not sure if I read right, but you saying Wildcats made the last big bowl out of our 2 schools? ASU went in '02....

You are correct - Let me rephrase that...

UA last WON a big bowl game

You are right - that is much better:thumbup:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are correct - Let me rephrase that...

UA last WON a big bowl game

You are right - that is much better:thumbup:
Then I say Nasser wasn't born yet the last time U of A went to the Rose Bowll. Then you say or when ASU went to the Final Four.

Nasser22

Reaction score
:D

Hey, I'll take football and baseball and give yall a big advantage in basketball anytime. No problem. :)

Got my first "college mail" from ASU giving me ideas on how to pay for my education. yay

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Hey, I'll take football and baseball and give yall a big advantage in basketball anytime. No problem. :)

Got my first "college mail" from ASU giving me ideas on how to pay for my education. yay

Whoa Whoa there youngin - First of all you havn't paid a dime to AS-who? yet so lets hold off on that allegience till we see where you end up.

Second of all Yes ASU baseball has more total championships
[FONT=Times New Roman]With five NCAA titles (1965, 67, 69, 77, 81) opposed to UA with 3 (1976, 80, 86) but look when you won the bulk of your titles? Was your dad even born in the 60's Nasser????[/font]

Now compare that too softball. Now I am loathe to bring womens sports into this argmument but seriously - does anybody dominate at any sport not named badminton or chess like the Cats do at softball?

National Champs - 1991, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2006, 2007

So really we are a basketball/softball/sometimes baseball school.

You get football and thats all you are getting!

:koolaid:oh yeah!

Last edited:

Nasser22

Reaction score
Baseball is still ahead of you guys. ;) Yes more championships and CWS appearances(inc. 2 in the last 3 years) last year we were the Pac-10 champs.
and have the third most College World Series victories with 58.[4] ASU also has the third most alumni to ever play in Major League Baseball. Notable athletic alumni include baseball players Barry Bonds, Paul Lo Duca, Rick Monday, Fernando Viña, Dustin Pedroia, Travis Buck, Willie Bloomquist, Ian Kinsler, and Reggie Jackson. (See ASU Baseball All-Time Letterman List)
And that's with UA baseball being around longer too right?

And yeah, my dad is pretty old. He was born in the late 50's actually. :D

I am going to ASU. I'm getting free tuition to an in-state school for my AIMS scores and grades. I'm not going to be a forest ranger so not NAU, and I don't plan on being a doctor so there goes UA too. Even if I screw up the next year and a half and lose that tuition waiver, I still have a good amount in my savings so yes I am going. ;)

Nice, your women won some championships so yeah you have the most dominating program out of the two schools, but hey we're much better in women's basketball, and how 'bout volleyball (I don't know)?

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
Dont forget the ASU women just won the National title in some variation of track and field (maybe it was indoor? or outdoor? both? I dunno). And ASU is in the tourney for wrestling nearly every year, with a national title in the late 80s I think it was.

Arizonas Finest, Ill readily admit ASU basketball has been horrible in the past 20 years, however, I do think that can change. Its not like UA was some power house pre Lute, so its not unreasonable to think a school like ASU with all it has going for it couldn't be turned around. I do think ASU is slowly closing the gap on UA (and some of that is UA coming back down to Earth as well), and I wouldn't be shocked at all if ASU beat UA in hoops in Tempe this year.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
i know it sounds insane Hoover but i feel the same way about UA football even though many of my fellow cat fans dont buy in. I am def not feeling guys like Bass and Robinson de-commiting but I think Stoops needs another year before the real prgress will be seen. I see NFL level talent in Tui and Gronkowski and they will have been in the offensive system another year. I actually think the defense will play at the same level while the O takes off. Stoops has his flaws but he gets talent in and his players love him. I think much like the Wiz he has been learning on the job. Hopefully this year is the one it pays off like at Rutgers and Kansas.

Well at least I hope so. And in all honesty I think ASU basketball IS on the right track.

Wait Wait this is the smack shack!

Now way in hell you are beating us in basketball this year;)

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Arizonas Finest, Ill readily admit ASU basketball has been horrible in the past 20 years, however, I do think that can change. Its not like UA was some power house pre Lute, so its not unreasonable to think a school like ASU with all it has going for it couldn't be turned around. I do think ASU is slowly closing the gap on UA (and some of that is UA coming back down to Earth as well), and I wouldn't be shocked at all if ASU beat UA in hoops in Tempe this year.

Here we go, the same 'gap is closing' nonsense that Arizona fans have been listening to since Ronald Reagan Administration. Why would I be concerned about being consistently inferior to ASU Basketball? Let's compare the two...

Tradition = Arizona by a mile
Facilities = Arizona by a mile
Exposure = Arizona by a mile
Recruiting Base = Even
Revenues = Arizona by a mile
Fan Support = Arizona by a mile
Coaching = Arizona by a mile (yes, KO has a similar pedigree as Sendek and he'll have a head start and more to work with when he takes over)
Expectations = Arizona by a mile

Is it possible to lose to ASU this year? Of course, a 9-2 ASU team once lost to an abhorrent UofA team a few years ago and freak things happen over the course of thirty games. But when the season wraps up Arizona will be light years ahead of ASU because right now they're better at EVERY position on the court. It will be the same next year as well. And I wouldn't count your chickens quite yet considering Sendek's awful records against his rivals in the ACC.

Honestly, ASU fans saying you'll be better than Arizona in basketball is like Vanderbilt fans saying they'll overtake Tennessee as the premier football program in the state. It ain't going to happen, just like Arizona will never be consistently better than ASU in football. Focus on passing NAU as a program before you set your sights on one of the top 20 programs in college basketball history.

PS - And Mike Stoops sucks. Defending him and his pathetic regime makes your opinion on anything else seem 100x less valid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why is it so hard for you ASU dudes to stay on topic, as in basketball..

BTW, UofA has college world series rings as well.. ASU doesnt own a huge margin in terms of baseball.. So thats a mute topic..