• It's a pandemic and this year is a wash

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • He's a great manager, let's extend him

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters

Azjose86

Veteran
Reaction score
Clearly Torey is dragging this team down with his musical chairs approach to games.

Constantly moving players around the lineup which make no sense. Lamb continues to be out out there every game, while Cron keeps getting shafted. Ketel, who was clutch and our best hitter last year is our leadoff guy now and Sterling who is a get in base guy is batting where Ketel should be. Due to his stupid line ups, this team constantly leaves runners on base or fail to capitalize on runners. Too many times we see a lead off double, just to see the guy stranded.

He keeps putting Chafin out there. All while he has proven he will blow leads.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've started to lose some faith in him. I'm not saying we are the Dodgers roster but we can't be this bad can we?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The longer he stays, the worse it will get for the team, and the more likely that the bad habits the players are developing will become irreversible.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The longer he stays, the worse it will get for the team, and the more likely that the bad habits the players are developing will become irreversible.
And if Kendrick and Hazen don't take action, they will be condoning it.

For the world to see!

Torey Lovullo is in over his head. Put him out of his (and our) misery.

Now that I know that the Red Sox thought enough about our bench
coach Luis Urueta to consider him for Manager, and he has as many
wins in one game as Lovullo does in all the rest, name him interim
Manager.

Whether the COVID-19 season lasts for a week or a couple of months.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love it to be now but you can't do it during this shortened season. Do it at the end of the year when they are one of the 4 worst teams in baseball

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would love it to be now but you can't do it during this shortened season. Do it at the end of the year when they are one of the 4 worst teams in baseball

Why not give Luis Urueta a trial run and at least not make this season a total waste?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think he is still manager to open 2021...no matter what transpires this year.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think he is still manager to open 2021...no matter what transpires this year.
Are you saying you want him to continue as Manager. Why?

Or that you expect that he will continue as Manager. Why?

Worse than the team's record so far is the malaise that
permeates both the hitters and pitchers.

Torey Lovullo is a nice guy. In the words of Leo Durocher
a long, long time ago, "Nice guys finish last."

Torey's goofy decision making doesn't contradict that.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are you saying you want him to continue as Manager. Why?

Or that you expect that he will continue as Manager. Why?

Worse than the team's record so far is the malaise that
permeates both the hitters and pitchers.

Torey Lovullo is a nice guy. In the words of Leo Durocher
a long, long time ago, "Nice guys finish last."

Torey's goofy decision making doesn't contradict that.

I am not saying I want him as manager...quite the opposite at this point. I just think this whole Covid shortened season thing will provide cover for him this year which results in him at least starting next year managing the team.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I am not saying I want him as manager...quite the opposite at this point. I just think this whole Covid shortened season thing will provide cover for him this year which results in him at least starting next year managing the team.
'Sorry, I don't get your post. You're not saying you want him as Manager,
but you want to give him cover this season and return next season.

Despite having a good night tonight, I suggest that Torey does not have
the drive to continue as Manager. Not technically. Not in terms of
leadership ability.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

leadership ability.

Torey's personality is best suited to his best position: Bench Coach.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I say if dbacks fall like 10 plus gms below .500 and score few runs can him and let the manager rollercoaster continue....

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

leadership ability.

I don't want him as manager any longer. I just believe he is safe into next season.

OP
OP
A

Azjose86

Veteran
Reaction score
Torey's approach of musical chairs to the game is really screwing this team up badly. He wants a team who is Jack of all trades, but no player is a master of anything. Constantly moving guys around, he ends up outsmarting no one but himself.

He then plays favorites with certain players. Cron who had been a great player in the minors never gets an opportunity, yet Lamb who has sucked badly for over 2 years gets to play every day.

He's too busy trying to please everyone and not make enemies in the locker room. A manager is there to make the unpopular decisions and get the best out of his players. Which is something Torey has struggled with... Fire the guy and move on already. A .500 at best is what you'll get out of a Torey team.

DumboD

Rookie
Reaction score
Torey has put together three solid seasons as D-backs Manager. And that was with almost one-third of the team's payroll being given to one player, Zack Greinke. As for the musical chairs, I believe he's just trying to maximise what each player does best and also to try to find a lineup that can win. He doesn't have the luxury of All-
star players he can just pencil in every day. And some players have started the season very slowly hitting wise and he's just trying to find a spark somewhere. And strange things have been happening this year. The last I looked the Marlins were in first place in their division. So maybe Torey needs to manage better, but the players need to play better also, so I don't believe firing Lovullo would lead to some sudden turnaround.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Torey has put together three solid seasons as D-backs Manager. And that was with almost one-third of the team's payroll being given to one player, Zack Greinke. As for the musical chairs, I believe he's just trying to maximise what each player does best and also to try to find a lineup that can win. He doesn't have the luxury of All-
star players he can just pencil in every day. And some players have started the season very slowly hitting wise and he's just trying to find a spark somewhere. And strange things have been happening this year. The last I looked the Marlins were in first place in their division. So maybe Torey needs to manage better, but the players need to play better also, so I don't believe firing Lovullo would lead to some sudden turnaround.

Perhaps, but then I look at head-scratchers, even in victory, like not putting in your obvious set-up man to start the eighth inning last night (and thereby blowing a one-run lead), and I can't help but think that Lovullo is putting unnecessary obstacles in front of his team, if not outright setting it up to fail...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Perhaps, but then I look at head-scratchers, even in victory, like not putting in your obvious set-up man to start the eighth inning last night (and thereby blowing a one-run lead), and I can't help but think that Lovullo is putting unnecessary obstacles in front of his team, if not outright setting it up to fail...
And, for the record, no one thinks he is doing it on purpose.

Torey has constantly shown behavior that is obsessive, illogical, inconsistent and stubborn.

He is what he is. Not every person is cut out to be the person at the top.

As you've said, his limit is possibly Bench Coach . . . but somewhere else.

krazy2k

Veteran
Reaction score
Yesterday is the answer to the question. The DBacks are done for the season unless they go on a 15-20 game winning streak. After a 5-19 month since July 8th, I don't think that kind of streak is possible. Use the rest of the season to evaluate prospects and re-tool for 2024 - including the pursuit of a new manager and GM.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Guy has proven he can't get a team to the playoffs year after year. He's the easy and safe choice, but not the choice to win.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose