What's the deal with Gila River Arena?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know with the talk of the Suns fighting with the city over renovation costs of AWA/Talking Stick Resort Arena I've heard a lot about the Coyotes potentially moving back downtown also to help cover some of the costs of the renovation. While I understand why it would help them in terms of attendance I'm not sure I understand why the Coyotes are looking to bail out on their Glendale Arena. I've been to a few games out there and even though I'm not a big hockey fan, I've enjoyed them a lot more than the games I've been to when they played at AWA downtown. The arena in Glendale feels like it was built for hockey where as AWA seems more like a basketball/concert venue.

I've also heard that the TSRA couldn't fit the Coyotes right now, something about the space for the rink not being there. I imagine that's because of something that happened during the last renovation but I'm not sure. I was wondering if any Coyotes fans could help me out some and fill me in on why they want out of Glendale so bad and possibly why they moved out there originally. I don't follow the NHL much at all, I love live hockey games but don't attend nearly enough for various reasons. Just thought I'd ask for some clarification here on what's going on with the Coyotes and their Glendale arena.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AWA was terrible for hockey. It had a bunch of obstructed view seats in the upper level on one end that blocked one of the goals when it was in hockey configuration. The team also only received game day revenues. All of the other ancillary profits went elsewhere. That is why the Yotes needed out, because they couldn't survive paying rent and all other hockey expenses without additional revenue.

They wanted to build in Scottsdale and the locals voted for it as I recall near Los Arcos but the Scottsdale council threw up a wall and killed that. Glendale stepped up at the last moment and built the Glendale Arena now known as GRA to be the anchor tenant of Westgate.

Long story short, recession of '08 hit and the developer of Westgate lost his shirt along with the owner of the Coyotes. The Yotes owner tried to renegotiate the terms with the city to help him out and they said no. He then tried to sell the team to a Canadian businessman so he could take the team to Hamilton, Ontario which is very close to Toronto essentially making them a two team city. NHL said, hold on a minute, we decide where teams go, not you or penniless owners.

So, Yotes file bankruptcy and end up being owned by the league for a while. At one point, they make Glendale pay them $25M a year to keep the team there and they even threaten to move the team to Winnipeg. So Glendale pays the ransom because they don't want to lose their anchor in Westgate. The search for owners goes on and they find a group of Canadians who make a sweetheart deal with Glendale which essentially gives the team massive subsidies to stay in Glendale. As usual, the rosy predictions for giant tax revenues to the city fall short and Glendale starts realizing they have bitten off more than they can chew.

Glendale gets creative and realizes that one of the city employees who was involved in the above mentioned sweetheart deal now works for the Coyotes. They exploit the AZ law that says you can't do that and they void the contract. NHL is pissed and soon says NHL will never work in Glendale and now they need a new arena farther in the east valley where all the fans (ie money and subsidies) are.

And here we are. The group of Canadians got bought out by some hedge fund guy who is reportedly up to his neck in debt and is looking for a partner as we speak. Rumors abound of a relocation to E. valley, downtown, and possibly even to Houston. In order I rank the first two somewhat likely and the last one very likely. I don't think sharing with the Suns is feasible unless someone buys both teams. Sarver isn't interested in hockey from what I can tell and billionaire white knights with local ties to the bball and hockey teams aren't exactly popping out of the palo verdes.

So, if you really want to enjoy the spectacle of poor to mediocre hockey and the thrill of your team possibly being pulled from under your feet at any moment, the Arizona Coyotes are your team! (see my signature)

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
Puckhead nailed it like a Mike Gartner slap shot. To add some color, there are a few people/things central to the Yotes move from Winnipeg, and how it came unglued.

1. Steven Gluckstern & Richard Burke
2. John Spano & Alan Eagleson
3. Steve Ellman
4. The Goldwater Institute

Prelude:

The Winnipeg Jets were formed in the second expansion round in 1979, following the merger with the WHA. The Jets were always "one and done" in the playoffs, even though amassing a rather impressive corps. By the mid 1990s, and with the plummeting conversion rate of the CAD vs. the USD, The Jets were on the block.

1. Steve & Rich -- Medicare Hockey

Following a failed Winnipeg try at ownership, enter Steve Gluckstern and Richard Burke. Gluck, a CEO of numerous medical device companies, was a lifelong hockey fan from Connecticut. Burke was then the CEO of United Healthcare. Due to the currency exchange rates, they lowballed the locals and planned to move the team to sunny ol' Phoenix.

The two made two crucial f+++ups in moving the team. First, one of these turds made a convincing case to the NHL that the city already had a thriving hockey market. They were thinking of the PCHL (Pachfic Coast Hockey League) Phoenix Roadrunners, who played at the Coliseum. They equated a 5,000 ticket draw on a weekend night to a sellout at AWA. Somehow, Bettman bought it.

Nowhere in any discussion to move the team did I hear about "obstructed seats." But then again, I only went down to AWA for hoops. I've always wondered if Jerry disclosed this fact to the guys, or if he left it to them to break open a high school triginometry book and figure it out for themselves.

2. John Spano -- NHL Huckster

The Yotes did well that first year. I still have a 1997 "White-Out" t-shirt. The league had their own pesky wannabe owner named John Spano, who had made an aborted effort to buy the Dallas Stars. With the Isles in trouble and the NHL looking for someone to be a white knight, Spano burst on to the scene with numerous documents (forged) and financial statements (fantasies) about his ability to finance a team. This was all proven to be completely bogus. Spano was later convicted and spent plenty of time in prison.

Contemporary to this was the revelation that Alan Eaglesson, head of the NHLPA, had bee4n systematically stealing millions of dollars from players. He was disgraced to the point where he was forced to resign from the Hockey Hall of Fame, the only person I can think of in any sport who did that. So the NHL had a credibility problem, big time.

But opportunity was about to strike Gluck. Gluckstern, an east-coast guy, was suddenly given the opportunity of a lifetime to move back east and own the New York Islanders. Of course the only caveat was he'd have to divest his interest in the Yotes. He sold his interest to Burke, who never found an investor group to step in and partner with him. With the losses and obstructed (i.e., non season-ticket) seats, he wanted out.

3. Steve Ellman & Wayne

These times are hazy, as puckhead pointed out. At some time developer-du-jour Steve Ellman wanted to build an arena on the SE corner of McDowell & Scottsdale Rd.. He did in fact raze the old, foundering Los Arcos Mall. But the dotcom bubble had burst, and no one wanted to buy into his project, except The Great One, who bought a 10% interest in the team and later, sadly, named himself as coach. Ellman bailed on the scene leaving plenty of further carnage, until the City of Glendale came calling. Meanwhile, Scottsdale reclaimed the land and built the Skysong research park.

4. The Barry Institute

The ownership dosey-do after Ellman, Jerry Moyes, Gretzky and the lot seems to have revolved around revenue from parking. The ownership group claimed parking revenue was crucial to maintain the team's finances and ergo competitiveness. The City claimed parking was never in the deal--parking was the payoff for the bonds they issued to finance the venue.

Enter a think tank named the Goldwater Institute. Although the Glendale City Council was willing to give up some parking revenue, the GI sued time and time again to block anything of the sort. I have no idea why they cared so much, but they did. The pretty much choked off any attempts to buy the team and arena as a bloc. Factor in the economic problems in 2008 and beyond...and you're off an running.

Last edited:

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
In looking to see if I could get the Yotes/Oilers game from Hockey Night In Canada this Saturday, I came across a quick mention of one attempt to buy the team long ago. This one was by Jim Balsille, the CEO of RIM/Blackberry. He was prepared to buy the team for cash, build an arena in Hamilton, ON and move the team. The NHL...and more importantly the Maple Leafs, stodd in his way. Eventually he dropped the bid.

Anyway, enjoy the calming voice of Grapes as he files his take on it. :D

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised there is still a team here. I know the fans of the Coyotes are passionate and but that can only mean so much when it comes to ownership issues. I want to say that I've heard of no less than 4 ownership groups or teams being in charge of them since they've come to Phoenix. That would mean they've been sold 3 times since they've been here as well. I have a good number of Canadian friends who often asked what it's like with the Coyotes here because they're used to the NHL being the hottest ticket in town and costing a few hundreds bucks to attend a game and they all get mad when I say I can grab great seats for about 40 bucks a pop. I've tried following hockey more but with it taking place at the same time as the NBA season, which is my favorite sport, it's difficult to invest time into another sport. With the strikes and changes it's become more difficult also because the strikes they've had seemed to bring about a lot of changes to how free agency and team building works.