What would a future be without Kyler?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That's what puzzles me in these threads lots of people clearly don't want to keep Kyler think he's too immature, too soft etc, but they all seem to think we can trade him for multiple picks and or players.
The thought process is that other teams will view it as just the Cards screwing up with a young star QB. The other teams may be dead wrong (or right), but it just takes one team to view the situation in this way to get a mega haul in trade.

That's not what I'm looking for. I want him to play the year, and either extend him or trade him then. Now, granted, if you wait and he doesn't earn the extension, you're drastically lessening his trade value, or may be lessening it. I'd rather go that route so we don't miss out on him if he does suddenly take those big strides forward.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
People need to stop talking about Pickett, Willis, Corral etc. if the Cards trade Murray they're not doing it for a QB in this years draft. I was watching some youtubes on this today various networks, essentially almost everyone says if Davis Mills stayed at Stanford he'd be the top rated QB in this draft. he's pretty good but there's a reason people are bringing up Houston in talks about trading for Kyler it's because they're not sure Mills is the guy, and most NFL people think he's better than any QB in this draft. Mills was the 67th pick last year, 3rd round, I think 5th or 6th QB taken. This year is NOT the year to need a QB. Next year would be Bryce Young, CJ Stroud, the kid from Florida.

So if we trade him this year we either get back a QB or we're going to be taking one in 2023.
Yeah and it also the reason they aren't extending him. They are comfortable setting the table to either have Kyler step in a big way with less offensive talent or being in a position to unload him to move up for a new QB. That is the reason for the extensions to Keim and Kliff.

Cardinals want a QB that brings leadership and doesn't require it to be brought in elsewhere. Whether you agree with that or not, that is the heart of this from the Cardinals standpoint.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah and it also the reason they aren't extending him. They are comfortable setting the table to either have Kyler step in a big way with less offensive talent or being in a position to unload him to move up for a new QB. That is the reason for the extensions to Keim and Kliff.

Cardinals want a QB that brings leadership and doesn't require it to be brought in elsewhere. Whether you agree with that or not, that is the heart of this from the Cardinals standpoint.
Trying to make him prove his leadership by giving him less weapons to work with could only be a plan created by complete and utter morons.

In other words… our FO.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Meh. Kyler’s still under contract. No obligation to renegotiate a deal until after the draft when these deals historically have been handled. Kyler and his agent pressing so hard after sucking so visibly in the playoffs is the definition of bad timing.
No, but the Cardinals should be more consistent with their messaging. If you stated early that despite loving Kyler as your QB, you weren't going to address the contract until after the 2022 season, the issue is dead. Doesn't matter what the agent says after that, you can always refer back to your position. Agent says he was trying to get your franchise the best deal, you can say that you hope Kyler is a super bowl champion in the offseason and are willing to pay him accordingly.

Instead the Cardinals have been saying they love him but then are silent about extending him which creates a void that people fill in with their own narrative.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Trying to make him prove his leadership by giving him less weapons to work with could only be a plan created by complete and utter morons.

In other words… our FO.
I agree 100%. Not the route I would take.

And to be clear, I don't think they are giving him less weapons to make him prove it, I think they are giving him less weapons to enable complete roster flexibility if he doesn't and they decide to trade him after the year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, but the Cardinals should be more consistent with their messaging. If you stated early that despite loving Kyler as your QB, you weren't going to address the contract until after the 2022 season, the issue is dead. Doesn't matter what the agent says after that, you can always refer back to your position. Agent says he was trying to get your franchise the best deal, you can say that you hope Kyler is a super bowl champion in the offseason and are willing to pay him accordingly.

Instead the Cardinals have been saying they love him but then are silent about extending him which creates a void that people fill in with their own narrative.

per all the recent stuff the Cards told him they would take care of him this summer.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I have become very apathetic in regards to Kyler Murray. I know he is the best young QB we have ever had. I also know that heading into year 4, he is more of a work in progress than I hoped he would be as a QB. When we drafted him I thought he would be more advanced in his pre and post snap game as well as his protections and in-pocket movement. I also thought he would have developed more as a leader than he seems to have. Honestly, I kinda feel like he is what he is at this point ad am not sure how much more he is going to develop outside of just experience.

Personally, I don't believe we are going to win any meaningful games with him as our QB. I don't believe we will ever be able to give him enough help on the roster to do so if we extend him. I also don't have any trust that Keim can trade him and draft a replacement. Kinda damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I have become very apathetic in regards to Kyler Murray. I know he is the best young QB we have ever had. I also know that heading into year 4, he is more of a work in progress than I hoped he would be as a QB. When we drafted him I thought he would be more advanced in his pre and post snap game as well as his protections and in-pocket movement. I also thought he would have developed more as a leader than he seems to have. Honestly, I kinda feel like he is what he is at this point ad am not sure how much more he is going to develop outside of just experience.

Personally, I don't believe we are going to win any meaningful games with him as our QB. I don't believe we will ever be able to give him enough help on the roster to do so if we extend him. I also don't have any trust that Keim can trade him and draft a replacement. Kinda damned if we do and damned if we don't.
I feel very much like this. A lot of it has to do with not seeing much "want to" in him.

Don't get me wrong, as a person I'm also guilty of not wanting to put in the extra mile at work... but I also don't get paid millions of dollars for one of 32 available jobs in an industry.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Sad!

IMO Kyler can be a guy, even if he doesn't make another leap, who will keep you having winning seasons and every once in a while catch lightening in a bottle and get you to the promised land.

In 15 seasons with the Saints, Drew Brees had five losing records, and they were all 7-9 seasons. They went to the playoffs nine times and won the Super Bowl once.

Seems like a fun time to me.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Sad!

IMO Kyler can be a guy, even if he doesn't make another leap, who will keep you having winning seasons and every once in a while catch lightening in a bottle and get you to the promised land.

In 15 seasons with the Saints, Drew Brees had five losing records, and they were all 7-9 seasons. They went to the playoffs nine times and won the Super Bowl once.

If he doesn't make another mental leap, he'll never lead a team anywhere. Maybe he'll get you to the playoffs, but never, ever win you a championship. If he does make that leap and mature, well, the sky (or Keim) is the limit.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Sad!

Your avatar is why I don't believe we will be bale to put the talent around Kyler. He just isn't good enough.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

but, Mike B talked about a Murray extension on ~Feb 25 or so -- relevant stuff starts at 10:30 in or so:

https://www.azcardinals.com/audio/michael-bidwill-newsmakers-interview-on-arizona-sports-98-7-fm

Per Mike B: K1s part of the long term plan, extensions like these get done in the summer so we have time

we also know that they had a proposal from Kyler's agent in hand when he said that -- so he had a sense of the ask.

that sure set the expectation in my mind that that they will extend him prior to the season. Maybe i read his statements wrong.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Your avatar is why I don't believe we will be bale to put the talent around Kyler. He just isn't good enough.
That’s fair. I think sometimes you can just luck or stumble into a great draft class that sets you up for the next decade even if you stub your toe every year that follows.

That’s basically what happened with t
Seattle.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
but, Mike B talked about a Murray extension on ~Feb 25 or so -- relevant stuff starts at 10:30 in or so:

https://www.azcardinals.com/audio/michael-bidwill-newsmakers-interview-on-arizona-sports-98-7-fm

Per Mike B: K1s part of the long term plan, extensions like these get done in the summer so we have time

we also know that they had a proposal from Kyler's agent in hand when he said that -- so he had a sense of the ask.

that sure set the expectation in my mind that that they will extend him prior to the season. Maybe i read his statements wrong.
So Mike B laid out the plan, but KM/KM's Agent still pushed the issue?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
To answer the thread's original question, it would be no different with or without him. Don't ever forget, we are the Cardinals, and will remain the same old Cards at least as long as Keim is here.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To answer the thread's original question, it would be no different with or without him. Don't ever forget, we are the Cardinals, and will remain the same old Cards at least as long as Keim is here.
The "same old Cardinals" predates Keim and will likely be a thing long after he's gone.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The "same old Cardinals" predates Keim and will likely be a thing long after he's gone.

The thing is, it's clearly not "The same old Cardinals". The win loss record the last 10 years is way above the franchises historic record.

4 of the franchises top 6 seasons ever have come in the last 10 years.

In the 100+ year history of the franchise 24% of it's playoff games have come in it's last 10 years. 59% has come in the last 14 years.

For the first time in history they have a young franchise QB (and no, they aren't doing anything to screw that up).

I understand many fans have battered wife syndrome but this isn't the "same old Cards". This is the best 10 year period of Cardinals football ever.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Arians did a great job of extinguishing that for awhile. All the old "same old" tropes you could rely on disappeared. Always lose when you're supposed to win. Only win when you're supposed to lose. Too cheap to pay free agents. There were many.

When the Kolb Cardinals beat NE in 2012 at NE, I picked AZ in my football pool. My friends thought I was crazy. But I knew. You could rely on it once a year. Once Arians took over, all those tropes disappeared. The Cardinals were a "normal" football team.

Once Arians left, the same old vibe slowly crept its way back. I guess some things are in your DNA. Nature vs nurture.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing is, it's clearly not "The same old Cardinals". The win loss record the last 10 years is way above the franchises historic record.

4 of the franchises top 6 seasons ever have come in the last 10 years.

In the 100+ year history of the franchise 24% of it's playoff games have come in it's last 10 years. 59% has come in the last 14 years.

For the first time in history they have a young franchise QB (and no, they aren't doing anything to screw that up).

I understand many fans have battered wife syndrome but this isn't the "same old Cards". This is the best 10 year period of Cardinals football ever.
We're still able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory better than most teams.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose