What to Take from McCoy’s Performance

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I am not looking to start a QB controversy. Murray is clearly the more talented player. Still the veteran presence of McCoy and his success should make a few things clear to Murray.

First Murray has been eluding free rushers by dropping way back then spinning out toward the sideline. Rushers are anticipating the spin and cutting the angle. They’ve simply caught him more often. While the O-line is not good at establishing a pocket it’s still possible to move forward sometimes even under pressure and weave through the rushers. If Murray does this a few times he’ll slow the rush.

Going under center is not a major accomplishment but it does create options the defense must account for like QB sneaks. It’s said Murray doesn’t like it but he’s a good enough athlete to master it and Kingsbury should insist Murray does so.

Short passes have a higher completion percentage and turn linemen into revolving doors. They open up running lanes. Murray rarely uses a hot read even when he correctly diagnoses the defense. McCoy use these to keep the line off balance. This also means longer drives and a fresher Cardinal defense.

McCoy did a great job of holding the ball until the last minute to facilitate screens, slants and passes behind the line. I’m not a big fan of the plays behind the line but McCoy’s technique did enhance them. He truly disguised the plays.

Clearly Murray has more to offer than McCoy, but it’s important to remind Murray that success in the NFL is often the result of continuous improvement, otherwise the league catches up to you. This game was the best I’ve seen Kingsbury game plan and call. The ego penalty was dumb, but his plays were a thing of beauty. McCoy showed he can play in this league. He won’t win games on his own but he knows how to use his weapons and he rarely will be the cause of a loss. Finally, regardless of how this season ends Keim should be the GM of the year. He’s assembled a deep roster of motivated players. This team will not be an easy out for opponents despite the inevitable occurrence of injuries.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not looking to start a QB controversy. Murray is clearly the more talented player. Still the veteran presence of McCoy and his success should make a few things clear to Murray.

First Murray has been eluding free rushers by dropping way back then spinning out toward the sideline. Rushers are anticipating the spin and cutting the angle. They’ve simply caught him more often. While the O-line is not good at establishing a pocket it’s still possible to move forward sometimes even under pressure and weave through the rushers. If Murray does this a few times he’ll slow the rush.

Going under center is not a major accomplishment but it does create options the defense must account for like QB sneaks. It’s said Murray doesn’t like it but he’s a good enough athlete to master it and Kingsbury should insist Murray does so.

Short passes have a higher completion percentage and turn linemen into revolving doors. They open up running lanes. Murray rarely uses a hot read even when he correctly diagnoses the defense. McCoy use these to keep the line off balance. This also means longer drives and a fresher Cardinal defense.

McCoy did a great job of holding the ball until the last minute to facilitate screens, slants and passes behind the line. I’m not a big fan of the plays behind the line but McCoy’s technique did enhance them. He truly disguised the plays.

Clearly Murray has more to offer than McCoy, but it’s important to remind Murray that success in the NFL is often the result of continuous improvement, otherwise the league catches up to you. This game was the best I’ve seen Kingsbury game plan and call. The ego penalty was dumb, but his plays were a thing of beauty. McCoy showed he can play in this league. He won’t win games on his own but he knows how to use his weapons and he rarely will be the cause of a loss. Finally, regardless of how this season ends Keim should be the GM of the year. He’s assembled a deep roster of motivated players. This team will not be an easy out for opponents despite the inevitable occurrence of injuries.
All i can is way better than hundley was and that long bomb to kirk was a perfect spiral!!

I say go with colt 1 2 more max let murray get healthy for poffs when matter more

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It is a league of continuous improvement and Murray has improved tremendously in the passing game each year. Statistics in other threads back this up. He also has the drive to be the best and win. No doubt Murray has the physical aspects of the game but also the mental too. I still think he’s a work in progress

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
for all of Kyler's talent -- I still believe there is enormous room for improvement simply through delivering the ball on time

i think he still misses a decent number of easier, on time reads, but makes up for it by holding the ball, evading and/or using arm talent to make a harder deeper completion.

I thing what McCoy showed was the offense operating as intended.

I have to believe Carolina will come into Sunday determined to make McCoy beat them by throwing the ball more than 10 yards consistently

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I have no problem with the penalty. I bet the players loved the smack talk. Norman came over and kliff gave him the business.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I give much credit to the system, and well rounded team, I think many QBs could come in and play well in this system. Colt did great and is the borderline starter he has always been. But Murray still has his bonus! could start for most teams on one leg.

maybe colt can earn another starting QB job for someone, josh mcnown could still be praying somewhere, because loves the game, he loved the cardinals, hated to see him leave for that reason.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I give much credit to the system, and well rounded team, I think many QBs could come in and play well in this system. Colt did great and is the borderline starter he has always been. But Murray still has his bonus! could start for most teams on one leg.

maybe colt can earn another starting QB job for someone, josh mcnown could still be praying somewhere, because loves the game, he loved the cardinals, hated to see him leave for that reason.
Haha always remember pass by mcown to poole i think name put packers in poffs haha god those were awful card teams lol

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Colt McCoy did what he had to do and executed it very well. To his credit he was a student of the system and his veteran prowess helped get an over aggressive defense out of position and props Hudson and the oline; can't leave them out of qb's success in K2 offense.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It appears Ertz was the first read and the DT on the left was bearing down on McCoy which didn't give him time to make any second or third read.
Might be the first read, but high level QB play is noticing the safety slidnig over to the middle and you've basically got Rondale one on one with a LB deep.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Coaching / play calling was better, more QB friendly but still 2-1 pass to run ratio. Can feel the fear when Conner gets the ball and it opens up play action, why 44 pass attempts with high percentage ? Well we go long streaks without a run, until we need to bring up the linebackers and safety again, for the pass game. It’s working but think better balance would work better. Good job colt, thanks for being a Cardinal.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Coaching / play calling was better, more QB friendly but still 2-1 pass to run ratio. Can feel the fear when Conner gets the ball and it opens up play action, why 44 pass attempts with high percentage ? Well we go long streaks without a run, until we need to bring up the linebackers and safety again, for the pass game. It’s working but think better balance would work better. Good job colt, thanks for being a Cardinal.
The running game average less than 3 yards per carry.

If you're arguing efficiency, then the Cardinals should have passed MORE.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose