What? No ASU, Cal thread

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cut, pasted and modified from my thread on the other ASFN college board:

ASU over Cal.

Cal seems to have been exposed as having trouble stopping the run. If ASU stays close, or leads at the half, it's all over. ASU will run, run, run the whole 2nd half and hit a couple of deep ones when Cal is forced to play 8 or 9 men up.

If Cal jumps up big in the first half, say 14 to 17, they might hang on to win a squeaker.

ASU is as talented as Cal but not as tested or experienced. Advantage Cal.

Tedford teams find ways to lose sometimes when they shouldn't. Erickson teams? We'll soon find out. Push.

Weather. Supposed to be hot. Advantage ASU.

Home field sell-out. Advantage ASU.

ASU coming off bye, Cal angry after choke job. Advantage Cal.

The best run game wins this one. Push.

Can't wait. Go devils.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
This game is BIG. Erickson hasn't done anything yet that Koetter didn't do on a yearly basis.

A big win in this game could catapult the Devils into a dream season.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
I wish I was at that game wearing my ASU gold shirt. On the front it says Sun Devil Law 23 Not in our house.

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
This game is BIG. Erickson hasn't done anything yet that Koetter didn't do on a yearly basis.

A big win in this game could catapult the Devils into a dream season.

I disagree, Koetter would've dropped one or two games so far. Koetters term can be summed up like this:

1.Usually beat teams they should beat
2.Occasionally lost to teams they should beat
3.Almost never beat teams they were underdogs to

I think for instance, under DK, ASU may have lost the WAZZU game.

Either way, its a huge game, if Torain was healthy, I'd be almost confident enough to 'guarantee' an ASU victory, it should be a fun one though, I think ASU comes out on top.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, ASU avenged last year's embarrassing blowout loss to Oregon State by returning the favor.

And I don't recall a Koetter defense ever ranking this high after 7 games against anyone.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really, really hope the Devils dont suffer a letdown. Then again, Koetter isnt the coach.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually have no clue what to expect from Cal. One of their players came out today and said he thinks they'll be better now that they've lost 2 games and don't have any pressure on them like they did ranked 2nd. Call me crazy but if I were Tedford and a kid said that, that kid would be on the bench immediately. He basically said we lost the last 2 games because we couldn't take the pressure of being highly ranked.

Cal gets Jordan back at WR he missed the last game. Longshore said the swelling in his ankle is mostly gone and he's moving better. Cal gets at least one of their injured DL's back, maybe 2. So they won't have a lot of excuses if they lose.

Main problem Cal has is on defense they can't stop the run or pressure the QB so they can't get teams off the field on 3rd downs.

The other interesting thing is DeSean Jackson came out this week and said he thinks Cal is too predictable running on first and second down and he wishes they'd thrown more against UCLA. Tedford showed by numbers they threw more on first down than they ran (17-13) against the Bruins but then agreed with Jackson they are too predictable and said he doesn't mind at all having a star player point that out.

So we'll see what if anything changes with playcalling.

I'll pick ASU I think Cal's defense is just not good enough.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Biggest game of the year. Honestly, all of us Devil Fans looked at the calendar and said, "If only we could be undefeated by the time we play Cal..." We got our wish. I was very disappointed to see Cal lose last week and the week before. Had we had two unbeaten teams, this game would be HUGE nationally.

Beating Cal would exercise some 'Koetter' demons from the program. If we lose, we will be labeled as a team that isn't very good and just had a favorable schedule. As far as rankings are concerned, it is much better that we beat Cal before losing to Oregon and USC. If we lose to Cal, and lose to Oregon, it won't matter if we beat USC - the voters will have written us off by then.

From a Pac-10 point of view, we need to stay ahead of UCLA - like us, they too are undefeated in conference play. I think we have about the toughest schedule in the country the next 4 weeks.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
If ASU scores early and the crowd stays in the game they will ride the energy and emotion of the crowd to a win. If Cal scores early and the crowd never gets in to it ASU will get blown out.

These are kids after all, the effect of a crowd can make a HUGE difference.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
3000 tickets remain for the game against Cal.

ASU is 1-11 against ranked teams at home. The last time they beat a ranked team at home was against Washington back in 1996.

luvstobowl

Registered
Reaction score
3000 tickets remain for the game against Cal.

ASU is 1-11 against ranked teams at home. The last time they beat a ranked team at home was against Washington back in 1996.

is this all time? How about when they shutout the #1 ranked Huskers back in the day?

TheKid_1

Registered
Reaction score
Man, I'll tell you what. There is absolutly ZERO love for ASU this weekend. I am yet to see one prediction that has ASU winning outside of this forum. I really hope ASU plays well and shows everyone how good we can be.

P.S. as a little side note, nothing is official obviously, and it might seem a little obvious, but I have been told by some reliable sources that without a doubt, if ASU and UO win, GAMEDAY will be covering the game. I personaly already live here but I'd love to see a big showing of maroon and gold. Even though I am a grad student here, I will still be doning the maroon and gold!

GO DEVILS!!!

HooverDam

Reaction score
^I'd be happy if Gameday did cover ASU-OU, but its at OU, not here in Tempe, so its not nearly as exciting. Plus, Gameday already went to Eugene, and I wonder how eager they'd be to go to one location twice, especially considering its not a traditional football power school.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luvstobowl
is this all time? How about when they shutout the #1 ranked Huskers back in the day?

They are 2-11 against ranked teams since they beat Nebraska at home.

TheKid_1

Registered
Reaction score
^I'd be happy if Gameday did cover ASU-OU, but its at OU, not here in Tempe, so its not nearly as exciting. Plus, Gameday already went to Eugene, and I wonder how eager they'd be to go to one location twice, especially considering its not a traditional football power school.

Yea I totally understand what you're saying. However I have some very reliable information that they will be back. I actually live here in Eugene so I will be there. I hope some people from back home will be willing to make the trip out. The alumni association will be here, with Frank Kush that is almost worth the trip too right?

OP
OP
Skkorpion

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lordy, let's not lose focus now. We play Cal tomorrow, not Oregon.

Go Devils.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I am really getting excited for this game. Looks like a lot of other people are, too, since it's sold out.

I hope ASU starts strong and carries the momentum throughout the game.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
OK, what really has me puzzled is that this is undoubtedly the biggest weekend of football in the Pac-10 with not only the Cal-ASU game but also USC playing at Oregon. The puzzling part is that neither game is being televised by the network (ABC). In fact there is no ABC Pac-10 game of the week. WTF?? The usual west team of Dan Fouts and Tim Brant are covering the Colorado at Texas Tech game.

What gives? I mean Fox Sports Net is pretty good, but these games are deserving of major network coverage, not regional cable outlets.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I haven't been this nervous for an ASU game since '96

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
OK, what really has me puzzled is that this is undoubtedly the biggest weekend of football in the Pac-10 with not only the Cal-ASU game but also USC playing at Oregon. The puzzling part is that neither game is being televised by the network (ABC). In fact there is no ABC Pac-10 game of the week. WTF?? The usual west team of Dan Fouts and Tim Brant are covering the Colorado at Texas Tech game.

What gives? I mean Fox Sports Net is pretty good, but these games are deserving of major network coverage, not regional cable outlets.

Just a guess but it probably has something to do with broadcasting contracts. Whats sad is Fox Sports can't find a better broadcaster than Petros Papadakis(sp?) the guy is absolutely terrible and he is doing the USC/Oregon game which is the biggest PAC 10 game this weekend. At least I don't have to listen to him saying "A State" all night tonight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard