What is the plan?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You've seen what a scrub PG does to this team and especially Booker. This team can't go a third consecutive season without a legitimate NBA starting point guard. It just can't.

Yes it can and that is the most likely outcome.

Besides you heard they are looking for a combo guard so sounds to me like they intend to continue with bookers high usage.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Randle’s career trajectory over the past two years has skyrocketed upwards, with the Kentucky product coming off a career campaign in 2018-19. One of just eight players to put up a 21/8/3 stat-line last season, Randle would have probably received All-Star consideration for his contributions if he played in the weaker of the two conferences and wasn’t part of the Anthony Davis trade-demand circus – he was that good.

Now, with a player option on the second year of his deal for 2019-20, one that he’ll almost certainly opt out of, Randle will undoubtedly receive a significant amount of interest on the open market. He’s just 24 years old, he’s matured both on the court and off it, and, most importantly, he’s extremely productive.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That same Bleacher Report piece has Josh Jackson listed as who the Bulls should target in a trade, suggest a deal involving Kris Dunn for Jackson. It's not what I would prefer but if Jackson has to go and we can bring back a young PG like Dunn then I can probably talk myself into liking it if something more is headed our way in that deal. Jackson has shown more promise than Dunn so far and his value has to be higher around the league. What extra that would cost, I don't know. Maybe the right to swap picks next year? I know asking for a 1st in addition to Dunn for Jackson is too steep from a team like Chicago.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...nba-teams-top-target-in-each-category#slide24
I think Dunn has been a MUCH bigger disappointment than JJ. That’s a pass for me.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not to be harsh but I'd be more inclined to vomit. You can't play a guard in today's NBA with a TS of 48%, he makes Rubio look like a shooter. He brings nothing to the game that interests me, I wouldn't take him with the 32nd pick.
Agreed. Dunn is a complete nonstarter for me.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
And who plays the point...
That's your reaction when you learn there is a decent chance the sun's can plug one of their two GLARING holes with good young player who fits perfectly next to Ayton ? After the disappointment of the lottery if they could at least get randle I'd already be happy with the off-season , and at this point to expect anyone besides like Garland/white and a vet like Beverly is wishful thinking

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That's your reaction when you learn there is a decent chance the sun's can plug one of their two GLARING holes with good young player who fits perfectly next to Ayton ? After the disappointment of the lottery if they could at least get randle I'd already be happy with the off-season , and at this point to expect anyone besides like Garland/white and a vet like Beverly is wishful thinking
So you would have Booker, Ayton, Randle, and Bridges. That's a hell of a starting four at that point. That moves Bridges into his proper role. Or if we resign Oubre, then Booker, Ayton, Randle, Oubre. I think we could get anyone at like a Beverly, etc. and roll with that!

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Randle is a good young player that is not done improving.

Sure his skillset is not complete but if it was he would be a max player.

If we can get Randle preferably in a sign and trade so we can still sign Russell or Brogdon that would be a great summer.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Randle is a good young player that is not done improving.

Sure his skillset is not complete but if it was he would be a max player.

If we can get Randle preferably in a sign and trade so we can still sign Russell or Brogdon that would be a great summer.
I would hope PHX is looking at Ty Jerome if he is there at #32. He is one of the biggest sleepers in this draft. Getting Russell and having Jerome backing him up would solidify the position. Two tall PGs who can shoot and pass, sign me up.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

My point is that plugging the PF hole is useless if we still lack an NBA quality point guard. Beverly, now that he is over the injury, is at least serviceable. I can live with your scenario.

What I can't live with is blowing all of the cap space on Randle only to be stuck with Tyler Johnson as the starting point guard, backed up by Garland/White, Okobo and Melton. That would be disaster, in my opinion.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
My point is that plugging the PF hole is useless if we still lack an NBA quality point guard. Beverly, now that he is over the injury, is at least serviceable. I can live with your scenario.

What I can't live with is blowing all of the cap space on Randle only to be stuck with Tyler Johnson as the starting point guard, backed up by Garland/White, Okobo and Melton. That would be disaster, in my opinion.
That won't happen I feel like they are going to clear space whether they get any return on Johnson or Warren or not and will shake up the pg rotation, probably won't be a long term fix but if anything next year is supposed to be a good pg draft if this year is a bust

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I would rather have Randle than Oubre. I think Mikal’s shooting will take a big leap this year...

Collison/Rubio
Booker
Bridges
Randle
Ayton

I still like Warren as a 6th man....

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would rather have Randle than Oubre. I think Mikal’s shooting will take a big leap this year...

Collison/Rubio
Booker
Bridges
Randle
Ayton

I would love to have Randle but I would hate to lose Oubre. Really seemed like he brought a special chemistry to this team.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I would love to have Randle but I would hate to lose Oubre. Really seemed like he brought a special chemistry to this team.

He brought special chemistry to a 19-win team. I’d be for keeping him if we traded up for SGA instead of Mikal.

I’d still shoot for Conley if we could keep #6 and trade a protected 1st next year.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Just read an article, not sure if it was fansided or bright side, but their scenario is Broklyn would want BOTH Kyrie and KD, renouncing D'Angelo Russell to get it done. What if we could get Russell AND Randle, but had to let Oubre walk? I know TJ Warren at a minimum would have to go to free space. Someone would also have to take Tyler Johnson's expiring contract probably. The point is, if you could get Russell and Randle, would you let Oubre walk? You have to make tough calls. I think I would do it.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just read an article, not sure if it was fansided or bright side, but their scenario is Broklyn would want BOTH Kyrie and KD, renouncing D'Angelo Russell to get it done. What if we could get Russell AND Randle, but had to let Oubre walk? I know TJ Warren at a minimum would have to go to free space. Someone would also have to take Tyler Johnson's expiring contract probably. The point is, if you could get Russell and Randle, would you let Oubre walk? You have to make tough calls. I think I would do it.

If we were lucky enough to get Russell, I think you would need a defensive-oriented power forward. I don't think there would be enough shots for Russell, Booker, Ayton, and Randle on offense either.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Yes, as much as I want to keep Oubre, I would let him walk if we could get both Russell and Randle. I'd then take Deandre Hunter in the draft who could actually be a stronger, better version of Oubre.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yes, as much as I want to keep Oubre, I would let him walk if we could get both Russell and Randle. I'd then take Deandre Hunter in the draft who could actually be a stronger, better version of Oubre.
I think if Hunter was there, I may take him since we do have back up PGs on the roster and not enough bigs, imho. If he's off the board, I prefer Coby White. So at a minimum we potentially have a big back up PG. I think at 32, I take another big regardless. The following year, I draft a back up shooting guard, for behind Booker.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Collison/Rubio
Booker
Bridges
Randle
Ayton

We need to keep Oubre. Have to. It should be possible while still getting Randle.

Warren is a very flawed player who wants out - he needs to go.

Worst case they have to waive and stretch johnson, and trade Jackson and Warren for cap space. That is far preferable to no Oubre, just for the culture change he brings.

But - collison or beverley are probably 10-12 million dollar guys.

I think Randle is probably around 20 million to sign.

I don't think we can pay our pg 10-12 million unless we can free all of johnsons cap space which I think will be real tough - waive and stretch I don't think will be enough, unless we also are able to dump Jackson.

Sign and trade with the Pelicans actually would probably be our best bet - they should be willing to take Johnson and Melton/Okobo + milwaukee Pick for Randle I hope.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well yeah - but I don't think it is even possible to free that much space.

Lets See
27,250,000 for Devin
9,562,920 for Ayton
4,838,500 for 6th Pick
4,161,000 for Mikal
1,416,852 for either Okobo or Melton

27,250,000 for Russell
20,000,000 for Randle

Is about 95,000,000 - for essentially 6 NBA level players

I guess if we could somehow dump Johnson, Jackson, Warren, and renounce oubre - we might be able to fit them both in.

But it would leave us with a bench of minimum contract guys and no flexibility going forward - and luxury tax issues as soon as Ayton and Mikal are due for his extension.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well yeah - but I don't think it is even possible to free that much space.

Lets See
27,250,000 for Devin
9,562,920 for Ayton
4,838,500 for 6th Pick
4,161,000 for Mikal
1,416,852 for either Okobo or Melton

27,250,000 for Russell
20,000,000 for Randle

Is about 95,000,000 - for essentially 6 NBA level players

I guess if we could somehow dump Johnson, Jackson, Warren, and renounce oubre - we might be able to fit them both in.

But it would leave us with a bench of minimum contract guys and no flexibility going forward - and luxury tax issues as soon as Ayton and Mikal are due for his extension.

That's actually 7 players, and what looks to me like a very good, young roster. If you have a chance to sign them, you sign them. Your flexibility lies in these are all valuable assets that other teams would be interested in if you decided to go in another direction. The luxury tax threshold for 2020-2021 is projected to be 143 million and should continue to rise. That's plenty of room for Ayton and Mikal's extensions.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man... I don't really get the Randle love. I know we're desperate for a PF, but is he an empty stats guy? Look at the Pelicans two years ago without him... basically the same team, goes to the 2nd round of the playoffs. they add Randle and most people think it's a big upgrade and... nope. does nothing to push the team forward and even before the Davis distraction, that team took a big step backward.

I look at the Pelicans and fear that's who we become if we sign Randle... that team's big 3 was Holiday/Davis/Randle and wasn't good. How is that going to compare to Booker/Ayton/Randle... when I guess booker is comparable in impact to Holiday, Ayton isn't anywhere close to the player Davis is and Randle is... Randle.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns made some inroads on their defense last season until the injuries hit. They will lose some defense without Oubre. I'd really like to keep him especially if the Suns add Russell. Maybe they can add some role playing power forwards and draft one as well.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns made some inroads on their defense last season until the injuries hit. They will lose some defense without Oubre. I'd really like to keep him especially if the Suns add Russell.

I would too, but if we had to let him go I believe there is an even better version of Oubre in the draft, Deandre Hunter.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
man... I don't really get the Randle love. I know we're desperate for a PF, but is he an empty stats guy? Look at the Pelicans two years ago without him... basically the same team, goes to the 2nd round of the playoffs. they add Randle and most people think it's a big upgrade and... nope. does nothing to push the team forward and even before the Davis distraction, that team took a big step backward.

I look at the Pelicans and fear that's who we become if we sign Randle... that team's big 3 was Holiday/Davis/Randle and wasn't good. How is that going to compare to Booker/Ayton/Randle... when I guess booker is comparable in impact to Holiday, Ayton isn't anywhere close to the player Davis is and Randle is... Randle.

Randle is a really good player. I don't know if you can take what happened this year in New Orleans as a cautionary indicator against him. They had some serious drama there.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Randle is a really good player. Underrated in my opinion. I don't know if you can take what happened this year in New Orleans as a cautionary indicator against him. They had some serious drama there.

true and note I'm not placing blame on Randle for what happened there. Just saying from the get go, adding a guy like him really did nothing to move the ball forward for a team people were expecting to take another step forward after the previous season's second round run.

he did play very well for a REALLY young Lakers team that surprised everyone winning 35 games the year before LeBron. And truth is... beggars can't be choosers which is what a 19 win team is, that's desperately missing a PG and PF. Just food for thought.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson