What is the plan?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That same Bleacher Report piece has Josh Jackson listed as who the Bulls should target in a trade, suggest a deal involving Kris Dunn for Jackson. It's not what I would prefer but if Jackson has to go and we can bring back a young PG like Dunn then I can probably talk myself into liking it if something more is headed our way in that deal. Jackson has shown more promise than Dunn so far and his value has to be higher around the league. What extra that would cost, I don't know. Maybe the right to swap picks next year? I know asking for a 1st in addition to Dunn for Jackson is too steep from a team like Chicago.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...nba-teams-top-target-in-each-category#slide24

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok. Just throwing this out there.

TJ Warren and Tyler Johnson for Chris Paul works salary wise.

Houston gets a player that would work fantastic with DAntonis system in TJ and a defensive guard that pairs nicely with Harden.

They also get out from under Paul’s huge contract.

It it intriguing if we have to add nothing else. Draft a project pg and sign a pf. I am not saying Houston would do it, I am asking if you would if Houston would.

Not sure what other offers Houston would get for Paul. I could see the Lakers offering a lot more.

Just wondering who the Lakers would give up for Paul, they don't have too many huge contracts do they?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That same Bleacher Report piece has Josh Jackson listed as who the Bulls should target in a trade, suggest a deal involving Kris Dunn for Jackson. It's not what I would prefer but if Jackson has to go and we can bring back a young PG like Dunn then I can probably talk myself into liking it if something more is headed our way in that deal. Jackson has shown more promise than Dunn so far and his value has to be higher around the league. What extra that would cost, I don't know. Maybe the right to swap picks next year? I know asking for a 1st in addition to Dunn for Jackson is too steep from a team like Chicago.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...nba-teams-top-target-in-each-category#slide24

kind seems like a lateral almost backwards move for the Suns.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tyler is going to be tough to trade, he's overpaid. To get a better player in return for his salary is tough, we'd probably have to include picks. He's an attractive expiring though that could come handy during the trade deadline, but we really need to move him before the season starts to get a starter.

I really liked the idea of trading Tyler Johnson and the Bucks pick for JR Smith. Smith's deal is only guaranteed for $3.7 million, so they could immediately waive him and free up $15-16 million in cap space. Cleveland adds a pick for their trouble and they don't have JR anymore. They weren't competing for a free agent this summer anyway. Their cap situation is still a mess so they wouldn't get far enough under the cap to do anything if they waived JR.

kind seems like a lateral almost backwards move for the Suns.

It was making the case for Chicago and not the Suns so I can understand that. We'd get a young PG though who may do well under Monty while moving Jackson, which some people think we should. I'm not one of those who thinks we should move Jackson, especially if the return is only Kris Dunn, but if Chicago is looking to add a wing then they aren't a bad team to try and work a deal with. What that deal ends up being, I don't know, but if the trade were Warren for Dunn, I'd be more inclined to go with it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the trade were Warren for Dunn, I'd be more inclined to go with it.

Not to be harsh but I'd be more inclined to vomit. You can't play a guard in today's NBA with a TS of 48%, he makes Rubio look like a shooter. He brings nothing to the game that interests me, I wouldn't take him with the 32nd pick.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really liked the idea of trading Tyler Johnson and the Bucks pick for JR Smith. Smith's deal is only guaranteed for $3.7 million, so they could immediately waive him and free up $15-16 million in cap space. Cleveland adds a pick for their trouble and they don't have JR anymore. They weren't competing for a free agent this summer anyway. Their cap situation is still a mess so they wouldn't get far enough under the cap to do anything if they waived JR.

It was making the case for Chicago and not the Suns so I can understand that. We'd get a young PG though who may do well under Monty while moving Jackson, which some people think we should. I'm not one of those who thinks we should move Jackson, especially if the return is only Kris Dunn, but if Chicago is looking to add a wing then they aren't a bad team to try and work a deal with. What that deal ends up being, I don't know, but if the trade were Warren for Dunn, I'd be more inclined to go with it.
Just stretch Tyler if you want to clear space.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to be harsh but I'd be more inclined to vomit. You can't play a guard in today's NBA with a TS of 48%, he makes Rubio look like a shooter. He brings nothing to the game that interests me, I wouldn't take him with the 32nd pick.

At this point, I wonder what Warren could bring back in a trade. I think bringing him into next season is just asking for problems also. Swapping him for Dunn would also give us more cap space. Dunn isn't the answer at PG next season but he may prove to be better in Phoenix than he's been in Chicago. I know his shooting isn't great but he shot 35% from 3 last year and 42.5% from the field overall. Of course his advanced shooting numbers aren't good, at all, but he has averaged 6 assists the last 2 seasons and he's cut his turnovers down from 2.9 2 years ago to 2.3 last year.

Just stretch Tyler if you want to clear space.

They could stretch Tyler but trading him for JR would produce almost $5 million more in cap space right away. I don't see the Bucks pick holding much value going forward. If we need to free space for some reason, that is one route they can take that opens up max space.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point, I wonder what Warren could bring back in a trade. I think bringing him into next season is just asking for problems also. Swapping him for Dunn would also give us more cap space. Dunn isn't the answer at PG next season but he may prove to be better in Phoenix than he's been in Chicago. I know his shooting isn't great but he shot 35% from 3 last year and 42.5% from the field overall. Of course his advanced shooting numbers aren't good, at all, but he has averaged 6 assists the last 2 seasons and he's cut his turnovers down from 2.9 2 years ago to 2.3 last year.

They could stretch Tyler but trading him for JR would produce almost $5 million more in cap space right away. I don't see the Bucks pick holding much value going forward. If we need to free space for some reason, that is one route they can take that opens up max space.

Why do you say that? You're not the only one going down that road, another poster called him a cancer but I have no idea what his deal is. Maybe he's loved by all his teammates, maybe they can't stand him - I just don't know. But I wouldn't give him away unless I knew for sure he was a locker room distraction. All we have are unfounded rumors, speculation (sometimes reasonable, sometimes not) and wild guesses.

And I don't know what's going on with Dunn either. I wasn't exactly a huge fan of his in college but I always assumed he'd be at least an above average NBA starter. So far though he's been quite a disappointment. I guess taking him as a gamble, as long as we realize that, it might be worth it to see if Monty could get through to him. He has all the physical tools you'd want along with great measurables.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why do you say that? You're not the only one going down that road, another poster called him a cancer but I have no idea what his deal is. Maybe he's loved by all his teammates, maybe they can't stand him - I just don't know. But I wouldn't give him away unless I knew for sure he was a locker room distraction. All we have are unfounded rumors, speculation (sometimes reasonable, sometimes not) and wild guesses.

And I don't know what's going on with Dunn either. I wasn't exactly a huge fan of his in college but I always assumed he'd be at least an above average NBA starter. So far though he's been quite a disappointment. I guess taking him as a gamble, as long as we realize that, it might be worth it to see if Monty could get through to him. He has all the physical tools you'd want along with great measurables.

Warren might just be a private guy, disgruntled? we don't know that, unless he asks out, I wouldn't get rid of him just to get rid of him. We do have new FO people and a new coaching staff, that could work out for Warren and Jackson...well all the players.

Dunn has had a major opportunity to at least boost his numbers in the way Lavine did since there's no premiere player on that team. Dunn shouldn't even be considered.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

Houston gets a player that would work fantastic with DAntonis system in TJ and a defensive guard that pairs nicely with Harden.

It it intriguing if we have to add nothing else. Draft a project pg and sign a pf. I am not saying Houston would do it, I am asking if you would if Houston would.

Not sure what other offers Houston would get for Paul. I could see the Lakers offering a lot more.
I am not interested in Paul. He seems to cause friction wherever he goes.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

NO WAY

Paul's Contract is horrific combined with his age and deteriorating skill - there is no way we should touch him. There is a reason the Rockets are desperate to unload him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He was clearly disgruntled to start last season in a bench role. Just by watching his body language and how he played it was pretty clear that he wasn't happy coming off the bench. I can understand being upset being moved to the bench like he was but he should have put his dead down and shown Igor that was a mistake rather than pouting. He did end up starting not long into the season because Anderson sucked so bad and Ariza was pretty awful also but what if he's asked to prove himself again? Will he do that or pout? I'd rather not find out.

I think Oubre should be the starting SF next year, if he's retained, because he can give you what Warren does offensively but he's much better than TJ is defensively and the team plays with more energy with Oubre on the floor compared to TJ.

Hopefully PF is addressed so the idea of moving TJ to PF isn't something that is considered either because he clearly can't handle playing against bigger and stronger players physically. He's a walking injury risk and because of that alone it's hard to justify starting him ahead of someone with close to equal talent because that other player will end up starting in his absence anyways, why not build some continuity and keep that other player in the starting lineup and let Warren come off the bench because you know he'll miss 20 or more games anyway.

So TJ's lack of defense, his health issues, and his unwillingness to accept a bench role tells me that it may not be a good idea to bring him into next season. He has been the #2 player on a bad team for a while, if we really want to change the culture perhaps moving him will help make that easier. The best basketball the team played last season was when he sat for his bruised ankle anyways, so he didn't take part in that at all and that's another reason why I don't think we'll miss him much if he is moved.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was clearly disgruntled to start last season in a bench role. Just by watching his body language and how he played it was pretty clear that he wasn't happy coming off the bench. I can understand being upset being moved to the bench like he was but he should have put his dead down and shown Igor that was a mistake rather than pouting. He did end up starting not long into the season because Anderson sucked so bad and Ariza was pretty awful also but what if he's asked to prove himself again? Will he do that or pout? I'd rather not find out.

I think Oubre should be the starting SF next year, if he's retained, because he can give you what Warren does offensively but he's much better than TJ is defensively and the team plays with more energy with Oubre on the floor compared to TJ.

Hopefully PF is addressed so the idea of moving TJ to PF isn't something that is considered either because he clearly can't handle playing against bigger and stronger players physically. He's a walking injury risk and because of that alone it's hard to justify starting him ahead of someone with close to equal talent because that other player will end up starting in his absence anyways, why not build some continuity and keep that other player in the starting lineup and let Warren come off the bench because you know he'll miss 20 or more games anyway.

So TJ's lack of defense, his health issues, and his unwillingness to accept a bench role tells me that it may not be a good idea to bring him into next season. He has been the #2 player on a bad team for a while, if we really want to change the culture perhaps moving him will help make that easier. The best basketball the team played last season was when he sat for his bruised ankle anyways, so he didn't take part in that at all and that's another reason why I don't think we'll miss him much if he is moved.

For the most part I saw the same sideline behavior I've always seen from Warren and I never once saw him pout. I'm not saying he isn't disgruntled, selfish and a bunch of other negatives but I think the evidence to support those possibilities is speculative and flimsy to say the least. I do suspect he's the one that was unhappy with his minutes and scoring opportunities that Jones mentioned back in December (or so) but that's just me taking a guess. Hopefully the front office actually knows the truth there but I don't believe we do.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm unsure about what is going on with Warren but if he is unhappy, the Suns are better to trade him before the season starts. The Suns have learned the hard way, e.g., Bledsoe, not to enter the season with players that want to be traded.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the most part I saw the same sideline behavior I've always seen from Warren and I never once saw him pout. I'm not saying he isn't disgruntled, selfish and a bunch of other negatives but I think the evidence to support those possibilities is speculative and flimsy to say the least. I do suspect he's the one that was unhappy with his minutes and scoring opportunities that Jones mentioned back in December (or so) but that's just me taking a guess. Hopefully the front office actually knows the truth there but I don't believe we do.

Did you watch the first couple of games when Booker went down and Jackson started in his place? That is when it was clear Warren was pouting and disgruntled. It was even reported by Gambo and someone else that he was unhappy he wasn't made the starter in Booker's absence.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just looking at randle stats he is a better player than I thought.

21 ppg 8.7 rebounds 3 Assists, 52% shooter and what surprised me the most 34% from 3 on 195 attempts. 21 per.

I had no idea he shot the 3 that well, and he made a huge improvement last year so he may get better yet.

He is only avg defensively, but he would be a great 3rd player for this team.

Question is how much will he cost, and how do we make the cap room?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

21 ppg 8.7 rebounds 3 Assists, 52% shooter and what surprised me the most 34% from 3 on 195 attempts. 21 per.

I had no idea he shot the 3 that well, and he made a huge improvement last year so he may get better yet.

And who plays the point...

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Randle is due 9 mil plus next year. TJ Warren is due 11 mil plus.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And who plays the point...

We already know it’s going to be a scrub.

Collision or Beverly is best case - but to do that we are talking opening up 30 million+ for the 2. More likely it is going to be someone like McConnell I am afraid.

Somehow we would have to unload Johnson and warren for cap space. I just hope we can keep the 6 th pick and get garland or culver with it. If we could get garland and randle, I can deal with a scrub pg for awhile longer till garland develops.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We already know it’s going to be a scrub.

Collision or Beverly is best case - but to do that we are talking opening up 30 million+ for the 2. More likely it is going to be someone like McConnell I am afraid.

Somehow we would have to unload Johnson and warren for cap space. I just hope we can keep the 6 th pick and get garland or culver with it. If we could get garland and randle, I can deal with a scrub pg for awhile longer till garland develops.

You've seen what a scrub PG does to this team and especially Booker. This team can't go a third consecutive season without a legitimate NBA starting point guard. It just can't.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA