What is the plan?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah. I think Igor will coach through. They will hire or try to hire a GM and then him make a choice about the coach. Sarver is paying McD still I assume. He would have to continue to pay Igor if he fires him. Paying double salaries at the GM and HC does not seem like a Sarver thing to do.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Ray Spalding had already been signed but I read this today. He has a partial guarantee for next season.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Ray Spalding had already been signed but I read this today. He has a partial guarantee for next season.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He signed a 10 day, I thought, so that could be where you thought he had signed already. Not a bad move but not great either. He's a young big and with Ayton part of our team we need to have a backup Center. There needs to be a C on the floor for 45 minutes a game, at least. If we had a real PF we might be able to lower than but since our guys have had trouble getting used to playing with a big like we can't let them run without a C for more than a minute or two so they're always looking for that inside presence.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He signed a 10 day, I thought, so that could be where you thought he had signed already. Not a bad move but not great either. He's a young big and with Ayton part of our team we need to have a backup Center. There needs to be a C on the floor for 45 minutes a game, at least. If we had a real PF we might be able to lower than but since our guys have had trouble getting used to playing with a big like we can't let them run without a C for more than a minute or two so they're always looking for that inside presence.

Yes, this is why I was perplexed a bit. I knew he was under contract with the Suns. They simply decided to put him on a regular contract after the 10 day contract.

I'd like to add Zubac but I imagine he would like to start somewhere. The way Ayton guarded Lebron perhaps he could play some power forward.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, this is why I was perplexed a bit. I knew he was under contract with the Suns. They simply decided to put him on a regular contract after the 10 day contract.

I'd like to add Zubac but I imagine he would like to start somewhere. The way Ayton guarded Lebron perhaps he could play some power forward.
Ayton would go perfectly with the player that Dragan Bender should be.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The way Ayton guarded Lebron perhaps he could play some power forward.
Would the Suns ever have the insight to move Ayton to Power Forward permanently (based on his only experience at UofA) and skill set he is showing in the NBA? And sign a solid role playing Center?

That actually seems like an easier move than hoping that Ayton rounds out at Center.

Or will their feeling be . . . Ayton was drafted as a Center and he will be a Center, damnit!

It takes a progressive management team to think outside of the box. 'Nuff said!

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would the Suns ever have the insight to move Ayton to Power Forward permanently (based on his only experience at UofA) and skill set he is showing in the NBA? And sign a solid role playing Center?

That actually seems like an easier move than hoping that Ayton rounds out at Center.

Or will their feeling be . . . Ayton was drafted as a Center and he will be a Center, damnit!

He is a center. How in the world with his skill set do you consider him a PF. He can’t put the ball on the floor, and his outside shot is weak.

Yes his rim protection needs to improve, but he fits far more at center than power forward.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Mirotic too. Even a Kevin Love type of player (not Love himself, too old for this bunch). Ryan Anderson was the right idea, its just that he could no longer play.

I think the Suns knew Ryan Anderson was a long shot but they didn't have anything to lose.

A player like Julius Randle would work as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think it's a hot topic to discuss right now because the Suns want Ayton to play center and many thought he played out of position at Arizona where he played power forward.

However, if the Suns could acquire a quality center, I think Ayton can play power forward down the line. If Bender had developed as hoped, I wouldn't care who played center.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
so in the past it meant something if you played center or power forward because of all star teams had unique traditional positions to get voted in at. Now with just big man position period, it doesn't matter.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
so in the past it meant something if you played center or power forward because of all star teams had unique traditional positions to get voted in at. Now with just big man position period, it doesn't matter.
As long as the two Bigs complement each other's style of play. Then we could compliment them. :)

But that would take a General Manager who understands the concept of team balance.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ainge thinks we are the dumbest box of rocks in the history of the league. Can you imagine if we made that deal?!? Ugh.

It makes me wonder a bit if McDonough wanted to make the trade. This could be one of the reasons he is no longer here.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It makes me wonder a bit if McDonough wanted to make the trade. This could be one of the reasons he is no longer here.

No, I'd bet my soul the final straw for McD was not that Sarver, an owner who has shown no patience and little value for draft picks, was fighting to keep one against his draft loving GM.

I can think of a lot of scenarios that are more likely to have been the last straw:

A stupid fight on the phone over the team's preseason play...

Sarver's constant meddling...

The lack of a point guard (possibly due to Sarver's meddling)...

McD not thinking the goat poop thing was funny...

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McD made some bad decisions but I don't think he'd give up an Unprotected pick for Rozier. Ainge has nothing to lose and everything to gain, throw an offer like that to a desperate team and see if we bite.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No, I'd bet my soul the final straw for McD was not that Sarver, an owner who has shown no patience and little value for draft picks, was fighting to keep one against his draft loving GM.

I can think of a lot of scenarios that are more likely to have been the last straw:

A stupid fight on the phone over the team's preseason play...

Sarver's constant meddling...

The lack of a point guard (possibly due to Sarver's meddling)...

McD not thinking the goat poop thing was funny...

I think everything that came out in the article at least partially absolves McD.

Sarver is the worst kind of owner. He meddles BUT ALSO doesn't demand that the Suns have first class facilities. He thinks he can mentor basketball people. WTF

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think everything that came out in the article at least partially absolves McD.

Sarver is the worst kind of owner. He meddles BUT ALSO doesn't demand that the Suns have first class facilities. He thinks he can mentor basketball people. WTF

I wouldn't go that far. One thing we do know about McD is that the players didn't care for him, which can be backed up by all of the Ex-Suns rejoicing when news of his firing broke. Most suspected he treated players like basketball cards more than basketball players as far as they were assets to be moved and repositioned to look good so they could bring in a good return. We also know James Jones was brought in specifically to handle player communication because McD dealing with players led to multiple players asking for their walking papers.

Once Bledsoe asked out early last season Sarver might have realized that McD had caused more problems than James Jones was capable of fixing. Why he kept him throughout the season and let him hire a coach and make draft picks though? I'm not sure. Perhaps he felt that he would keep McD here for the season so Jones could learn from him and see what duties he would have in the near future. Once McD finished with the offseason and Jones made it through his first offseason, draft, summer league, training camp, and preseason he decided Jones had enough experience to take over. Plus I think there was some hesitation in canning him earlier because we already caught some negative press for firing Watson 3 games into the season. Sarver didn't have another basketball guy in the franchise he could talk to about firing McD until he knew Jones wasn't going anywhere. He had Jones & McD but prior to that he had Blanks and Babby. Now he's got Jones and Bukstein. Seems like Sarver likes having a duo, perhaps to play off of each other? Who knows why it's happened a couple times.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Do you really want your GM to be chummy with the players? Seems like being their "buddies" could potentially conflict with the job.

I think you need a GM that commands respect and treats players fair. Who cares how friendly your GM is if he builds a winning team. Players will respect whoever puts together a winning roster.

I'm not saying your GM should be a total a-hole but being friendly doesn't seem that important. Hire someone else to be friendly. We need a GM that knows how to identify talent and make deals.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go that far. One thing we do know about McD is that the players didn't care for him, which can be backed up by all of the Ex-Suns rejoicing when news of his firing broke. Most suspected he treated players like basketball cards more than basketball players as far as they were assets to be moved and repositioned to look good so they could bring in a good return.

A solid nominee for understatement of the year. They didn't suspect, Ryan came right out and said it (proudly) to the world on multiple occasions. He eventually tried to censor himself on issues such as that but the damage had been done.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ainge thinks we are the dumbest box of rocks in the history of the league. Can you imagine if we made that deal?!? Ugh.
Ainge does this to everybody. But then McD did too. McD seemed more interested in winning trades than making the team better. His problem was not the trades he made, but the ones he probably should have made and did not.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you really want your GM to be chummy with the players? Seems like being their "buddies" could potentially conflict with the job.

I think you need a GM that commands respect and treats players fair. Who cares how friendly your GM is if he builds a winning team. Players will respect whoever puts together a winning roster.

I'm not saying your GM should be a total a-hole but being friendly doesn't seem that important. Hire someone else to be friendly. We need a GM that knows how to identify talent and make deals.
McD did not even communicate enough to garner the respect of the players. You will commonly hear that players like Sarver more than they liked McD. Sarver buddies up with players more than he should. Sarver's problem is not with the players, but the fact that he micromanages his coaches and GM's or used to do so (according to Gambo).