What is the plan?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Who hired the coach?, who fired the GM, who nixed a reported trade for a point guard before the season. Who hired Watson??

This team will never win as long as Robert Sarver owns the team

Dont you feel bad about posting things you have to know are obviously wrong?

McDonough hired Igor.
The reported trade was never reported at best it is a rumor that ONLY Gambo has mentioned and it was not before the season it was on draft day.
McDonough hired Watson.

And Sarver fired McDonough, too late if anything.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
But none of those moves were done in a vacuum, Sarver had to approve them. I'll be happy to eat my words if they ever start winning. I don't think they will, at least, not as long as the owner is involved in the basketball side.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
But none of those moves were done in a vacuum, Sarver had to approve them. I'll be happy to eat my words if they ever start winning. I don't think they will, at least, not as long as the owner is involved in the basketball side.
Precisely. How do we know? Because of the local reports of Sarver yelling instructions to McDonough while he was on the phone with another GM. That is demeaning! It violates rules of management.

It shows how unqualified Sarver is to do anything more than count his trillions as as investor. slinslin is too far from the details to blindly criticize domestic fans.

I wonder if Sarver does the same at his banks. Yelling out to a teller from his office, "No, give them $10's. Keep the $5's." He is a bull in a china shop. :eek:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think one of the reasons the Suns acquired Tyler Johnson ($19,245,370) was to give them a larger contract to use in a trade.

Warren ($10,810,000) may be another piece. Of course it will require using sweeteners such as draft picks.

Also $20 million can go a long way if the Suns do not over spend for a player like Ariza. There are usually some bargains after the initial wave of free agency.

I didn't think of it before but the Suns have been rumored to make a play for D'Angelo Russell with the Nets. It could be a sign and trade with Johnson involved. It's a long shot, I know, but the Nets signed him to the contract he's on. The Nets can't afford to match a max deal, or close to max deal, for Russell after paying Dinwiddie like they did this year. The Suns may be able to sign Russell on his own but if it requires a sign and trade we could use Tyler Johnson and the Bucks pick for him. They would then have Johnson for a year before they need to work on a long term deal and his contract is actually less than his cap hit because of how it was originally structured. They might save a few bucks doing that and lock in a backup guard like TJ for the long term. There was interest in Johnson before, maybe they still are? Who knows, just a thought.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't think of it before but the Suns have been rumored to make a play for D'Angelo Russell with the Nets. It could be a sign and trade with Johnson involved. It's a long shot, I know, but the Nets signed him to the contract he's on. The Nets can't afford to match a max deal, or close to max deal, for Russell after paying Dinwiddie like they did this year. The Suns may be able to sign Russell on his own but if it requires a sign and trade we could use Tyler Johnson and the Bucks pick for him. They would then have Johnson for a year before they need to work on a long term deal and his contract is actually less than his cap hit because of how it was originally structured. They might save a few bucks doing that and lock in a backup guard like TJ for the long term. There was interest in Johnson before, maybe they still are? Who knows, just a thought.

Am I the only one getting excited about the play of Tyler Johnson. He is a combo guard that fits nicely next to Booker.

I know it's early but he compliments Booker perfectly and he is already on the Suns roster. If the Suns are not able to draft Zion, then they could turn their sights towards drafting a point guard like Morant with Johnson already in place as a starter.

Johnson can score and dish out perhaps 4-5 assists a game, but just as important, he does not turn the ball over.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Am I the only one getting excited about the play of Tyler Johnson. He is a combo guard that fits nicely next to Booker.

I know it's early but he compliments Booker perfectly and he is already on the Suns roster. If the Suns are not able to draft Zion, then they could turn their sights towards drafting a point guard like Morant with Johnson already in place as a starter.

Johnson can score and dish out perhaps 4-5 assists a game, but just as important, he does not turn the ball over.

I don't dislike Johnson but I hope for more than him. If he's kept next year then how long will he be kept? Will we flip him at the deadline, because if that's the case then we might as well trade him in the offseason. I would like the opening day roster next season to be very close to the final game roster, barring an addition or two if something presents itself. I would rather we not go into the season planning on making a deadline deal because who knows how that might turn out. Johnson at best would be the 4th guard in a rotation, behind PG who isn't signed, Booker, and another guard, which might be Bridges or Jackson but not someone with as low of a ceiling as Johnson.

I don't dislike him but I'm not sold on him being a piece for the future either. He's a stop gap and ideally a very short stop gap that we can turn into something better.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He looks like the best pg we have had in a while, even though Book is doing most of the distributing. We are a bit jaded now. We have seen a host of pg's have a few good games and then fade.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
TJ2 is very encouraging. I'm happy we contributed to a win. It would be nice to see him continue scoring and develop some chemistry with Ayton. He has been a bright spot the last two games.

Having our PG situation resolved by trading Anderson would be a huge help. We can focus on our other need, a rebounding PF veteran that can play defense.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man. Zion is not only a great player, he is exactly the player we need for this roster, maybe even more than a pg.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't dislike Johnson but I hope for more than him. If he's kept next year then how long will he be kept? Will we flip him at the deadline, because if that's the case then we might as well trade him in the offseason. I would like the opening day roster next season to be very close to the final game roster, barring an addition or two if something presents itself. I would rather we not go into the season planning on making a deadline deal because who knows how that might turn out. Johnson at best would be the 4th guard in a rotation, behind PG who isn't signed, Booker, and another guard, which might be Bridges or Jackson but not someone with as low of a ceiling as Johnson.

I don't dislike him but I'm not sold on him being a piece for the future either. He's a stop gap and ideally a very short stop gap that we can turn into something better.

Only projecting here, but if Johnson continues to play well and the Suns draft someone like Morant, then I can see Tyler staring and the Suns bringing bringing in a rookie in waiting behind him.

It would be great if the Suns could concentrate on signing a power forward in free agency.

Of course none of the above is written in stone because Johnson has only has two good games in a row but I like what I see so far.

It would be ironic if the Suns find their answer at point guard only to trade him for someone on a high salary that is not any better.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He looks like the best pg we have had in a while, even though Book is doing most of the distributing. We are a bit jaded now. We have seen a host of pg's have a few good games and then fade.

I hope the Suns give Johnson a fair opportunity to succeed or fail.

We agree, Tyler is the best point guard the Suns have seen for awhile.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope the Suns give Johnson a fair opportunity to succeed or fail.

We agree, Tyler is the best point guard the Suns have seen for awhile.
Since Bledsoe, I think.

It would be fantastic if Johnson and Book can really gel. We have always said that we do not need a star at pg, just competency. I would love to go into the draft looking for a pf.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Johnson and Oubre seem to like being on the roster. We’ve seen players, mostly older vets, come here and not seem to enjoy it.

Vince Carter
Chandler
Anderson
Ariza

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since Bledsoe, I think.

It would be fantastic if Johnson and Book can really gel. We have always said that we do not need a star at pg, just competency. I would love to go into the draft looking for a pf.

I think you have nailed it. Dragic and Bledsoe wanted out and IT was traded so the pickings have been slim.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
TJo as a Sun

11.5 ppg, 3.8 ast, 1 to, 1.5 st, 4 rb, .385 from 3. 30 mpg.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
For the love of God, TYLER JOHNSON IS NOT A POINT GUARD!!! In no universe is he a point guard, starting, back-up or third string. He is at best a serviceable back-up shooting guard. Just because he had two games in a row where he wasn't Isaiah Canaan/Mike James bad doesn't mean he is a viable option at that position, especially where even in Johnson's "good" games, Devin Booker was stuck being the primary ball handler and facilitator (and, by the way, Booker is also NOT A POINT GUARD).

Sheesh.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@1Sun

A combo guard could play beside Booker much like D'Angelo Russell.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russell is far more of a point guard than either Johnson or Booker will ever be.

I'm looking at a scenario where the BPA left on the draft board for the Suns is a point guard.

The Suns would need someone to start. Maybe it's Johnson. Maybe it's not.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm looking at a scenario where the BPA left on the draft board for the Suns is a point guard.

The Suns would need someone to start. Maybe it's Johnson. Maybe it's not.

Johnson starting at the point to start next year is as egregious as Canaan starting at the point to start this year, in my opinion.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Part of the plan is Igor will coach the Suns through the end of the season. I didn't think that would change but then Gambo tried saying he would be fired if the Suns lost in Miami. James Jones has said that Igor will be the coach through the remainder of the year, which isn't a surprise to some of us but I'm sure it will disappoint others.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1855...ng-to-coach-igor-kokoskov-through-season/amp/

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Part of the plan is Igor will coach the Suns through the end of the season. I didn't think that would change but then Gambo tried saying he would be fired if the Suns lost in Miami. James Jones has said that Igor will be the coach through the remainder of the year, which isn't a surprise to some of us but I'm sure it will disappoint others.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1855...ng-to-coach-igor-kokoskov-through-season/amp/
I always assumed he would coach the whole season. What I found interesting is that they only committed to Igor through the end of the season. My interpretation, is they are leaving open the possibility they may make a change at the end of the season.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don’t see any point in making a change before the end of the season, unless there’s some interim candidate they really think would help chemistry and development for a few months (I can’t imagine who.)

If Igor is to be replaced with a permanent hire it should be done after the lottery to maximize the appeal (if the lottery is kind).