What is the ONE thing you're excited most about this coming season?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Pretty straight forward--what is the ONE thing that you are excited to see this coming season? Whether it is Ayton's coming of age, Booker improving his defense, or JJ's shot development, what are you excited to see?

Mine is seeing how having Igor as a coach help Devin Booker. Will he be the same as last year, or will it be like every year of his career so far--major improvement in a major area? And how big will that improvement be? Just can't wait to see what a real coach can do for Devin.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a good question. But I find it difficult to name just one. I guess I'd go with Ayton and how he develops over the course of the season on offense and as a rim protector.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I want to see Ayton display the physical skills that will make him a generational big.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm excited to see Booker with real teammates and not being forced to shoulder such a huge load for the team. With quality teammates he should have better looks and face less defensive pressure and schemes that are in place to stop him and only him. Warren is a threat to score but Booker has always had him as a sidekick of sorts. I think more teams will be looking to stop Warren than in the past because until last season he didn't regularly show he could effortlessly put 20 points a night. The development of TJ, the additions of Ariza and Ayton along with a real NBA caliber PG in Knight should allow Booker much more freedom offensively.

I didn't want this to turn into a debate about what Knight is as a player so I went with a very basic description of him being an NBA caliber player because he has shown that much, at least, throughout his career.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Hopefully, team balance. Front court and backcourt. Defense and offense. Rebounding, blocking, steals, foul control and free throws. Maturation of the young guys.

In other words, the GM and coaching staff doing what it takes to provide the leadership to climb the ladder steadily. With no gimmicks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be most excited to see the Suns play well as a team under Igor. It would be awesome for the Suns to execute a system that is based on ball movement. This could help every player on the team to improve. Of course I'm excited about the players, particularly Ayton, but it all starts with coaching.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is really difficult. Booker's development, Ayton in the middle. But probably the one thing is the presence and impact of a real coach in Kokoskov.

I am sure there will be a surprise player too.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd be most excited to see the Suns play well as a team under Igor. It would be awesome for the Suns to execute a system that is based on ball movement. This could help every player on the team to improve. Of course I'm excited about the players, particularly Ayton, but it all starts with coaching.

This.

I really want to see this team with a legit coach and a legit system. The last few years have been horrible no sense of self it was just like hey throw the ball out there and run with it.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It is really hard to pick just one thing. I am excited to see how much better Booker can get, I am anxious to see if Ayton is the real deal or just another over-hyped big, but I probably more excited about seeing what Igor does.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hopefully, team balance. Front court and backcourt. Defense and offense. Rebounding, blocking, steals, foul control and free throws. Maturation of the young guys.

Seeing some frontcourt offense will be nice, for a change. I don't think the Suns have had any sort of consistent frontcourt scoring since Markieff, probably. That's not counting the half season he was here last also since he was dogging it out there and waiting to be traded. I don't expect Ayton to very consistent but I do think he'll have a much better rookie year than Chriss did, who was our last frontcourt big we drafted. Even though Bender can also be described as a big, he doesn't play inside and he missed the majority of his rookie season. If Ayton can't play better than Bender in his rookie season then the Suns are cursed.

Another thing to be excited about, although I wouldn't say it's the thing I'm most excited for but it falls within the top 5 and that's not cheering for losses to improve draft positioning. A year and a half of tanking was enough. We got our prize in Ayton and I don't have regrets about tanking last season but I'd really like to be able to root for the Suns to win in every game this season and not be worrying about ping pong balls.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Coaching! You can see how a team with a system and identity can be good for a long time, with different players. The Suns have changed coaches so much, its like we do not have any system or identity anymore. Its been one on one on the offense and defense. FOR A LONG TIME NOW! Time to bring back team!

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Great thread all around. Nice to see some genuine excitement from this board.

As for me, I'll echo what a few of you said which is to see what Booker can do with a much better team around him. I expect both his efficiency as well as his playmaking to take a step forward, and that's exciting to me.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm going way out here, but...

TJ Warren. He's been our guy to bash on saying he's just a 6th man, doesn't play defense, etc.

He was so banged up last year, now we have a big to help out down there. Now we have a coach to run an offense. Now we have more defenders to stabilize the defense. This team has improved on paper.

There's one guy who always seem to be somewhat constant no matter how crappy the roster and coaches are. That's TJ Warren. I'm hoping to see is offensive output increase and him being on the court more.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Thw rhought of seeing the Suns defending well is what I'm most looking forward to seeing. Granted Aroza os the only probable starter who is much of a defender, though Bridges may get the nod at SF -but the second unit will have several.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thw rhought of seeing the Suns defending well is what I'm most looking forward to seeing. Granted Aroza os the only probable starter who is much of a defender, though Bridges may get the nod at SF -but the second unit will have several.
We actually do have some defenders on this team. Ariza, Bridges, JJ, Shaq. Ayton, and Bender both have potential.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little off topic but if we were going for shock value, trading Brandon Knight would be right up there. I thought the Suns were stuck with him at least until next off season.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know if this counts, but the one thing I'm most excited about this season is actually being EXCITED about this season.

It's been a looooooooong time since I felt that way.

Good god. You just reminded me of last season. Nothing was worse than the way the team came out in the season/home opener. Any semblance of hope or optimism was obliterated in that 48 point loss.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Booker/Ayton PNR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson