What is the deal with Edmonds

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What is easy to forget is that most players who are undrafted or drafted in the middle to late rounds who end up being starters do because they take the job and never let it go. It is less about the number of opportunities they get and more about what they do with them when they get them. Drake took his opportunity, ran with it, and has not let it go. Edmonds got the same opportunity, did well and got hurt. That might have been his opportunity and he may never get one like it again.

Edmonds has done nothing to make me think we need to manufacture additional opportunities for him.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What is easy to forget is that most players who are undrafted or drafted in the middle to late rounds who end up being starters do because they take the job and never let it go. It is less about the number of opportunities they get and more about what they do with them when they get them. Drake took his opportunity, ran with it, and has not let it go. Edmonds got the same opportunity, did well and got hurt. That might have been his opportunity and he may never get one like it again.

Edmonds has done nothing to make me think we need to manufacture additional opportunities for him.

Austin Ekeler.

The Cards are doing Chase Edmonds a favor by not playing him. The fewer carries he gets right now, the better off he's going to be making the argument that he's not "NFL 28" when he becomes a free agent in two years.

Also, his skill set isn't that different from Drake's that he adds anything in a rotation. David Johnson is arguably a more physical runner and a much better receiver, so he presents a change-up when you need a second back.

There aren't enough touches in this offense to really do much more.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Pretty pedestrian? He had played well every time he has gotten carries.

Prove that wrong.

He is a good backup RB.

He's an RB with a career 4.3 Yards Per Attempt rushing, 6 career TDs over 27 games, and one game ever with more than 10 actual attempts rushing. Yes, he had a great single game, but remember Jonas Grey for the Patriots a few years back? Same thing, it's one good performance in the middle of a bunch of mediocrity.

Saying he's a "good backup RB" is fine, but that's basically the definition of pedestrian. And is he really a "good" backup RB? Look at what the 49ers have. The Rams have a guy another team actively tried to poach as a restricted free agent. The Seahawks have a first round pick backing their guy up.

He's the worst backup RB in the division by a large margin, not to mention the NFL.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He's an RB with a career 4.3 Yards Per Attempt rushing, 6 career TDs over 27 games, and one game ever with more than 10 actual attempts rushing. Yes, he had a great single game, but remember Jonas Grey for the Patriots a few years back? Same thing, it's one good performance in the middle of a bunch of mediocrity.

Saying he's a "good backup RB" is fine, but that's basically the definition of pedestrian. And is he really a "good" backup RB? Look at what the 49ers have. The Rams have a guy another team actively tried to poach as a restricted free agent. The Seahawks have a first round pick backing their guy up.

He's the worst backup RB in the division by a large margin, not to mention the NFL.

LOL you are so wrong it's not even funny.

Worst backup running back in the NFL. Your takes are just awful.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
LOL you are so wrong it's not even funny.

Worst backup running back in the NFL. Your takes are just awful.
I wrote that wrong. Yikes. Sorry. Total mea culpa. Worst backup in the division, but not the NFL by a long shot.

Sometimes I'm writing this in the middle of work and lose focus. He's fine, just nothing special.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

He has been pretty effective any time he has gotten extensive carries.

You are just so negative you cant even see the middle ground sometimes. Chase is a good RB, but he isn't good enough as a receiver to be a featured back in this offense.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He has been pretty effective any time he has gotten extensive carries.

You are just so negative you cant even see the middle ground sometimes. Chase is a good RB, but he isn't good enough as a receiver to be a featured back in this offense.
He's not good enough to be a featured back anywhere, and his limited ability makes him pedestrian. That doesn't mean he's bad, just someone who is not worth carving out a special role for over other players. He should play when we need to spell a better player, or someone is hurt.

Edit:
Just to note, he's only gotten extensive carries once. Never more than 10 times, besides one game.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He's not good enough to be a featured back anywhere, and his limited ability makes him pedestrian. That doesn't mean he's bad, just someone who is not worth carving out a special role for over other players. He should play when we need to spell a better player, or someone is hurt.

I'd put him a bit above "pedestrian". He shows some really good traits as a ball carrier. In the 90s, he would have gotten consideration to be a starter.

I'd take him over all the RBs on a few teams. Dolphins, Chiefs, Texans, and Buccaneers come to mind.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'd put him a bit above "pedestrian". He shows some really good traits as a ball carrier. In the 90s, he would have gotten consideration to be a starter.

I'd take him over all the RBs on a few teams. Dolphins, Chiefs, Texans, and Buccaneers come to mind.
I don't think that's really a fair comparison with the Dolphins, seeing as we just traded for their starter who has overwhelmingly replaced Edmonds. I don't think he's better than the starters for the other three teams either. Maybe the Bucs. But saying he's capable of playing for those teams with their mixed up backfields isn't a huge endorsement. Either way.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't think that's really a fair comparison with the Dolphins, seeing as we just traded for their starter who has overwhelmingly replaced Edmonds. I don't think he's better than the starters for the other three teams either. Maybe the Bucs. But saying he's capable of playing for those teams with their mixed up backfields isn't a huge endorsement. Either way.

It isn't an endorsement, its just that Chase Edmonds was a really day three pick who belongs on the roster and belongs in the RB rotation.

Drake is a really good fit for what KK is trying to do.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It isn't an endorsement, its just that Chase Edmonds was a really day three pick who belongs on the roster and belongs in the RB rotation.

Drake is a really good fit for what KK is trying to do.
He deserves to be part of the rotation at a very low level, but we should not look at him as relevant to this roster or as a part of the future, just like almost every pick from last year.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d rather see Chase running the ball out there than DJ.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard