What I Saw

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
1. the Rams defense was reasonably healthy, the same defense the limited Brady to 16 points last week.

2. Kyler was on the injury report all week. A well coached team like the Rams would have prepared for Colt playing.

3. Colt managed the game really well - distributing the ball. No turnovers. This is about all you can ask from your backup.

4. what his performance showed to me is the combination of shell coverages and Kylers reticence to throw timing kinds of routes really makes offense harder than it needs to be.
#1 the bucs have sucked offensively this year. Not much of an accomplishment.

#4 totally agree

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Again, kudos to Colt for an impressive inner division victory, but this "night and day" stuff about the offense is getting pretty out there.

Colt didn't throw for 400 yards and 5 TDs while hitting on a bunch of deep shots all game. The offense produced their 3rd lowest yardage total of the season, and that was with Conner having his best game of the year. There were still plenty of 3rd down routes short of the sticks, horizontal passes that went nowhere and a bunch of checkdowns.

Colt did a fantastic job of taking what the defense gave him and limiting mistakes, but I definitely didn't see a drastically different offense.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
True

Also true: anyone who watched Wolford yesterday came away saying, “how could he have beaten the cardinals two years ago?”
Kyler didn’t play most of that game with an ankle if I recall. That game and not making the playoffs was squarely on Keim/Kliff for only having Streveler as backup QB, a guy who wouldn’t have started on several Mountain West teams.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler didn’t play most of that game with an ankle if I recall. That game and not making the playoffs was squarely on Keim/Kliff for only having Streveler as backup QB, a guy who wouldn’t have started on several Mountain West teams.
Kyler gets no blame for totally crapping the bed the week before, at home, against a Niners team riddled with so many injuries that not only were they on their 3rd string QB, but most of their defensive stars were hurt as well.

all Kyler had to do was play mediocre in that game and we go to the playoffs. Instead he led the team to a pathetic 12 points. No TDs, 1 interception.

and then Keim/Kliff's Strevler decision did us in for good the next week.

as usual, it was a KKK Combo plate that blew the playoffs in 2020.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Kyler gets no blame for totally crapping the bed the week before, at home, against a Niners team riddled with so many injuries that not only were they on their 3rd string QB, but most of their defensive stars were hurt as well.

all Kyler had to do was play mediocre in that game and we go to the playoffs. Instead he led the team to a pathetic 12 points. No TDs, 1 interception.

and then Keim/Kliff's Strevler decision did us in for good the next week.

as usual, it was a KKK Combo plate that blew the playoffs in 2020.
This is correct, the usual triumvirate choke

Last edited:
Reactions: PJ1

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I hate that I have no faith in any of the “leaders” of this franchise.
It's AWFUL. Can one person fix it? Steve Kerr was with the Suns as GM and couldn't do it himself. The Suns had maybe three good leaders in CP3, Monty and the GM and that's how much it took to overcome a terrible owner.

I don't think Michael is as bad as Sarver, but you probably need at least two strong leaders among the GM, HC, and QB.

I imagine a major problem is that Kyler recognizes that the three dudes above him on the org chart are clowns and doesn't want to do anything to improve the situation.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I don't think Michael is as bad as Sarver, but you probably need at least two strong leaders among the GM, HC, and QB.
I get that Sarver is a total a-hole and difficult to work with/cheap. But that dude has more business savvy in his finger than the entire Bidwill sibling have combined in their entire bodies. Both bad owners but in much different ways.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I get that Sarver is a total a-hole and difficult to work with/cheap. But that dude has more business savvy in his finger than the entire Bidwill sibling have combined in their entire bodies. Both bad owners but in much different ways.
I agree, but what does business savvy get you as an NFL owner? Probably nothing, right?

I think the most important attribute as an NFL owner is to create a culture that attracts smart people, hire smart people, and then get the heck out of their way.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Colt stood tall, poised..choreographed the offense well. The players responded by looking like a real NFL offense. Moore got looks and touches along with Hop to equal 19 catches for 192. Conner also seemed to like Colt's cadence, rhythm. Also noticed McCoy's offensive line skills in pass protection. Many times they fanned out with Colt standing tall; something Murray gets skiddish with in the pocket. Also the play clock and snap rhythm much better with Colt McCoy. Murray had good body language and positive feedback like he learned but I gotta see it.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
They played like trash because Stafford was out. Stop it.
I thought McCoy quaterbacked the best Card game this season. He looked like he actually studied, executed and no INTs; something Murray was carelessly doing often. If more games are lost than won in the NFL, Murray sure makes a loss more possible the way he turns the ball over, slides down thinking he got the 1st down to avoid taking a hit, delay of game, street ball, fumbles, attitude, etc. He's the starter based on money and contracts, but Colt looked like a real NFL quarterback out there. Not a gamer, streetballer. Colt will fill in two, three games but maybe Murray can learn something from watching him. We know Murray is more talented physically but not from the neck up YET. It will be maturity and attitude that allow Murray to become a better qb, leader.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought McCoy quaterbacked the best Card game this season. He looked like he actually studied, executed and no INTs; something Murray was carelessly doing often. If more games are lost than won in the NFL, Murray sure makes a loss more possible the way he turns the ball over, slides down thinking he got the 1st down to avoid taking a hit, delay of game, street ball, fumbles, attitude, etc. He's the starter based on money and contracts, but Colt looked like a real NFL quarterback out there. Not a gamer, streetballer. Colt will fill in two, three games but maybe Murray can learn something from watching him. We know Murray is more talented physically but not from the neck up YET. It will be maturity and attitude that allow Murray to become a better qb, leader.
Let’s not pretend Murray has been a turnover machine as that’s just false he has 6 picks less than many others including Mahomes. Problem is he isn’t putting up the TDs that he should be. But saying he is turning the ball over at a high rate is patently false averaging less than 1 per game is not a high rate. But agree with maturity he will get better, was hoping after that terrible playoff game he would be in a mission this season but hasn’t panned out that way…

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True

Also true: anyone who watched Wolford yesterday came away saying, “how could he have beaten the cardinals two years ago?”
Two years ago, the Rams only managed 9 points on O (plus a safety and pick-six)... but the Cardinals only managed 7 points.

Wolford actually played better this time around in leading the Rams to 17 offensive points. Had the Cards had McCoy two years ago, they probably would've beaten the Rams and made the playoffs.

...dave

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again, kudos to Colt for an impressive inner division victory, but this "night and day" stuff about the offense is getting pretty out there.

Colt didn't throw for 400 yards and 5 TDs while hitting on a bunch of deep shots all game. The offense produced their 3rd lowest yardage total of the season, and that was with Conner having his best game of the year. There were still plenty of 3rd down routes short of the sticks, horizontal passes that went nowhere and a bunch of checkdowns.

Colt did a fantastic job of taking what the defense gave him and limiting mistakes, but I definitely didn't see a drastically different offense.

Nobody throws for 400 yards and 5 TDs when you don't have to. If you ever see those numbers it's sure a 38-42 game.

When you have a lead you control the ball, make sure you don't turn it over and let them back in the game.

If you didn't see the difference I'm not sure what you were watching.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
one word answer:

Streveler.

two word answer:

Steve Keim (for going with Strevler as back up QB)

To be fair I always got he impression that Streveler was a pure Kingsbury decision.

They cut Hundley who had been a reasonable backup for him.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair I always got he impression that Streveler was a pure Kingsbury decision.

They cut Hundley who had been a reasonable backup for him.
Never understood cutting Hundley when he looked decent in chances he got

Playing someone like Streveler who is a gimmick QB limits your offense and chances to win

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
It's AWFUL. Can one person fix it? Steve Kerr was with the Suns as GM and couldn't do it himself. The Suns had maybe three good leaders in CP3, Monty and the GM and that's how much it took to overcome a terrible owner.

I imagine a major problem is that Kyler recognizes that the three dudes above him on the org chart are clowns and doesn't want to do anything to improve the situation.
in a way, this gives me hope

James Jones was an internal promotion who lead to hiring Monty Williams / getting Chris Paul.

i am under no pretenses that IF Mike fires Keim that he will bring somebody from outside the organization to run the show (and truly empower him to do it).

BUT: Adrian Wilson likely gets promoted into the slot. Very strong personality and has a gravitas about him, where Keim comes across as smarmy.

Maybe I am just hoping, but if Wilson were to say he wanted a physical team -- i bet he does it vs. Keim who says stuff like that and then trades his first round pick for a 5-9 WR.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I agree, but what does business savvy get you as an NFL owner? Probably nothing, right?

I think the most important attribute as an NFL owner is to create a culture that attracts smart people, hire smart people, and then get the heck out of their way.
Yes - correct. Sarver has made his investors a boatload of money which technically as a General Partner is his primary job. Everyone else he pissed off obviously because he doesn’t understand that owning a sports franchise means more than just making money, you’re an important part of the community’s pride and character.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Nobody throws for 400 yards and 5 TDs when you don't have to. If you ever see those numbers it's sure a 38-42 game.

When you have a lead you control the ball, make sure you don't turn it over and let them back in the game.

If you didn't see the difference I'm not sure what you were watching.
Yeah the over 20 carries even though for a low ypc, checks out.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
in a way, this gives me hope

James Jones was an internal promotion who lead to hiring Monty Williams / getting Chris Paul.

i am under no pretenses that IF Mike fires Keim that he will bring somebody from outside the organization to run the show (and truly empower him to do it).

BUT: Adrian Wilson likely gets promoted into the slot. Very strong personality and has a gravitas about him, where Keim comes across as smarmy.

Maybe I am just hoping, but if Wilson were to say he wanted a physical team -- i bet he does it vs. Keim who says stuff like that and then trades his first round pick for a 5-9 WR.
Or they go with Quentin Harris. It's one of the two, I'd put my money on.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah the over 20 carries even though for a low ypc, checks out.
The pass happy offense leads to FGs and the balanced attack led to a few rushing touchdowns wow funny how that worked out. People acting like Colt came in and marched the team down the field for opening drive TD or something. The major difference in this game is we weren’t behind big because their offense was AWFUL. My point is Kliffy panics and goes pass heavy way to early all the time like their isn’t time to still just run a balanced damn offense!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose