What I Saw

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He hit McBride, Ertz, Green twice, once for a score, and Connor 3 time. He hit Moore 9 times. I don’t recall him getting targeted like that previously. My conclusion was I’d like to see what happens if McCoy starts again. Seems like it’s worth a look just to get Murray’s attention.
Moore had 8 catches last week and 7 the week before, and that was with Ertz in the lineup.

While I don't agree with it at all, I understand the logic of wanting to start Colt for a couple games to send a message to Kyler. Competition can be productive. I just don't think it's a remotely realistic possibility to sit a healthy Kyler for a 36-year-old career backup months after re-signing Kyler for $250 million. It's bad business on all levels. What if Colt comes out next week and puts up a 3.9 QBR like he did last year against Carolina after he carved up the Niners? Then you have created an incredibly complicated QB situation for nothing. The Cardinals made the investment in Kyler. They at least have to put in adequate time to try and fix him before he gets flat out benched.

On another note, congratulations on being the original member of the Myaji Sanders bandwagon around here. He gets more impressive by the week.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It looked more or less the same to me. Lots of checkdowns, a few nice runs. WR’s definitely made some big catches today (especially AJ Green) too. The Wolford Rams are really bad, much like Carolina we did what we needed to do vs a bad team.

Not sure what you were watching. We had the 3rd highest YPA of the season and mcCoy completed more passes over 10 yards than Kyler has in any game all year at a higher completion rate. And all with a scrub O line and no Ertz.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Oh please and when teams were able to gameplan against him like CAROLINA, Colt will look like a trash qb, just like last year. Kyler will still give us a better chance to win this year. Colt is who he is.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh please and when teams were able to gameplan against him like CAROLINA, Colt will look like a trash qb, just like last year. Kyler will still give us a better chance to win this year. Colt is who he is.

People saying Kyler gives us a better chance to win after 6 losses, the worst YPA and worst "longest pass" in the league is funny.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
People saying Kyler gives us a better chance to win after 6 losses, the worst YPA and worst "longest pass" in the league is funny.
Yeah playing against a team who played like complete and utter trash like the Rams did without Stafford and KM will have the same results….oh he beat Stafford last year. Trash argument

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Exactly a backup QB with nothing to lose and zero expectations can play a lot more free. And a game plane to get the ball out super quick. And while not crazy efficient some commitment to the run as in Connor with more than 20 carries. Much more balanced attack and different playcalling that usual to an extent. We will see if he starts again against a team that is not in total disarray and played with half hearted effort! You can’t tell me they played hard because Donald alone could destroy our Oline in its current form they looked like they just going through the motions.
Dude, is there any situation in which you would accept any KM criticism at all? Now that Colt walked into the team and did way, way better, it's "playing with nothing to lose and zero expectations can play a lot more free" nonsense, and blaming a better game plan to get the ball out super quick and, and, and...I mean, seriously? This is getting sad at this point, man.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah playing against a team who played like complete and utter trash like the Rams did without Stafford and KM will have the same results….oh he beat Stafford last year. Trash argument

Have you considered they played "like trash" because McCoy played well?

They had a full strength defense and scored 27. We've only scored more than that once in 9 previous games.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Have you considered they played "like trash" because McCoy played well?

They had a full strength defense and scored 27. We've only scored more than that once in 9 previous games.
They played like trash because Stafford was out. Stop it.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Colt is a solid backup qb. He is mature and poised. I'm glad we have him and very happy to beat the Rams. The 49er game in Mexico City will be very tough and it makes sense to start Murray if he is healthy. He still gives us our best chance of winning.
This.. Colt is a top 16 backup in the league. Solid game manager, rarely going to turnover the ball, stick to the game plan and not do “too much”. I am very happy to have him as the back-up. He’s not going to beat a playoff caliber team (SF was a mess last year when he played them at 3-5, in likely prepping for facing Kyler who is as questionable for the game). He beat a slumping SF, a Seattle team avg 13 pts per a game over 3 contests during RW3s first 3 games back from injury and John Wolford.

Love that he got the W’s even against that lowly competition… you literally can’t ask for anything more out of your back-up QB.

Kyler has not been good, but let’s once again put the proper context around things.. seems we are REALLY bad at this on this board.

I again point to how Herbert looked last night against Playoff Contending team.. mediocre at best w out an Oline and missing weapons. Giants and Packers are examples of great coaching/offensive schemes with no Oline and limited to no weapons. If you don’t watch them, go look at the box scores and see the passing attempts/rush ratio. If you do watch them, then you can see the position the schemes put their QBs in to be able win.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I didn't realize Stafford played defense.

They played bad because Stafford was out you say? Good job our starting QB...oh wait.
It doesn’t matter, their starting qb was out and reports saying that the entire team was disinterested in the game. Not the same energy. Qb makes a world of difference. They knew their backup was trash and didn’t even play hard. Every lame ass excuse to say KM isn’t the qb and somehow Colt is better it’s a trash and lazy argument

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It doesn’t matter, their starting qb was out and reports saying that the entire team was disinterested in the game. Not the same energy. Qb makes a world of difference. They knew their backup was trash and didn’t even play hard. Every lame ass excuse to say KM isn’t the qb and somehow Colt is better it’s a trash and lazy argument

What reports are these?

Colt is not better than Kyler.

Colt played better than Kyler because Kyler has been playing like ass. Primarily because he isn't putting the work in.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What reports are these?

Colt is not better than Kyler.

Colt played better than Kyler because Kyler has been playing like ass. Primarily because he isn't putting the work in.
Look for yourself. Colt balled against a trash disinterested team who didn’t gameplan for him, bottomline. You don’t know if Kyler “put the work in” or not that’s just another trash assumption. Stick to the facts, not the conjectures, which this board is keen on doing.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look for yourself. Colt balled against a trash disinterested team who didn’t gameplan for him, bottomline. You don’t know if Kyler “put the work in” or not that’s just another trash assumption. Stick to the facts, not the conjectures, which this board is keen on doing.

Sure.

The facts are that McCoy with 4 starting O line out and no Ertz had the 3rd highest YPA of the season and more completed passes over 10 yards than Kyler has all year at a far higher completion rate.

In his first game with few first teams reps.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
1. the Rams defense was reasonably healthy, the same defense the limited Brady to 16 points last week.

2. Kyler was on the injury report all week. A well coached team like the Rams would have prepared for Colt playing.

3. Colt managed the game really well - distributing the ball. No turnovers. This is about all you can ask from your backup.

4. what his performance showed to me is the combination of shell coverages and Kylers reticence to throw timing kinds of routes really makes offense harder than it needs to be.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sure.

The facts are that McCoy with 4 starting O line out and no Ertz had the 3rd highest YPA of the season and more completed passes over 10 yards than Kyler has all year at a far higher completion rate.

In his first game with few first teams reps.
And the fact is that Kyler is still a better overall qb who beat a healthy Rams team who won the Super Bowl. RAMS still didn’t gameplan for him like they would have against KM. So putting these stats out like he’s better then KM IS AGAIN A TRASH ARGUMENT.

Comparing KM to a backup with limited starts is assasine. Colt did what he was paid to do, bottomline.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I fully understand who McCoy is. I watched him play numerous games at Texas, where he was the only player to ever be chosen MVP for 4 years. He is not without talent. Is he a better athlete than Murray; no! Did he play better yesterday than Murray has this year; yes! McCoy cannot consistently win as an NFL QB. He‘s proven that. Does McCoy have good leadership skills and can he execute a game plan; yes! He can’t take over a game like Murray did against the Raiders. Murray could be great, but at this point he isn’t even good. It’s been 4 years and he’s only marginally more effective than when he came in the NFL. I‘m not confident he enjoys playing a game where someone else dictates the strategy. I think Murray may be best when it’s all about him. I know that’s harsh, but it’s what I see. Often baseball is a compilation of individual efforts. Football is almost always a collaborative effort where the glory is shared.

Murray could transform all the negativity to popularity if he was willing to become a student of the game. I think a few things were likely the case Sunday. McCoy was better able to execute Kingsbury’s game plan. He seemed more engaged as a leader. He anticipated plays and made good choices on targets. Ironically, he was less dependent on the line to protect him, because he was more decisive, getting the ball out before the rush surrounded him. He was not contact adverse. He just executed confidently, at times ignoring the rush. He never seemed intimidated or gave the impression others were failing him. He showed true leadership and his teammates reflected his confidence. My simple question is, did Murray learn anything from watching McCoy’s game management? He hasn’t seemed to in the past.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

That trash backup kept us out of the playoffs a few seasons ago.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA