What I Saw

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Few random thoughts. Do you think KK was trying to be too cute targeting Johnson so many times. Thinking that the Lions don't have any film on him and we catch them slipping?

Do you think KK really doesn't want Fitz? His style doesn't fit KK play calling, but has to keep him in because of Larry's status. Seems to me they target Larry early to keep his catch streak and then forget about him.

Something needs to be done about the defense. Overall they are better than last year, but something isn't right. I wish they would call Wade Phillips up and bring him in as a consultant. Spin it however you like.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We lost because of three interception. Period. The team played good enough to win by 7+ without those.

Other issues like KK getting too cute in Q3 and on 4th downs are annoying but didnt cost the game. Isnt that the second time we try to go for it on fourth and end up calling a timeout?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My observations:

- Most of failure falls on Kingsbury and Joseph for their play calling
- Murray is not a Top 10 player which he his being hyped as.
- Murray is getting stung trying to make big boy passes in coverage, he ain't Mahomes,
- Running game has been good (149 ypg, 4.7 average)
- Isabella looks to be coming around
- Hopkins needs help
- CJ should have feasted on WAS & DET OL, did not
- Peterson should not get Top 5 CB money from play so far (46.1 PFF, 4 receptions allowed on 9 passes defensed)

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
they had no focus. As I said before, Kliff cannot handle winning and how to keep his players focused, one game at a time.
Can anyone shed light on -

Why Kliff dialed up so many gadget plays to open the 2H

Were the Lion defensive backs waiting in the weeds to jump Larry Fitzgerald's routes throughout the game?

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My observations:

- Murray is getting stung trying to make big boy passes in coverage, he ain't Mahomes,
- Hopkins needs help
- Peterson should not get Top 5 CB money from play so far (46.1 PFF, 4 receptions allowed on 9 passes defensed)

Hopkins doesn't need help. We run trips t the opposite side of Nuk on about 75% of downs. He's often 1 on 1. We could have thrown at him 30 times last night and he would have caught them all on Okudah.

The problem Murray seems to be having with this is that if he doesn't think Nuk is open (he's wrong, he's always open) then on the trips side it's really busy and Murray doesn't seem to be able to process all that traffic.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
With the ball at midfield, three minutes left in the game, 3rd & 9, going deep should not be an option unless the player was obviously wide-open!
GET THE FIRST DOWN!!!!
Also, don't throw it to the guy who is, checks notes, who is not your wr1, wr2,wr3 or wr4 that day.

Isabella was wide open on that play. Since Kyler doesn't go through progressions like an experienced QB yet, it made that call worse.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is that 3rd and 9 he threw into double coverage late in the game.

Apart from Isabella getting open just off the screen in about half a second that A gap you can see between Sweezy and Gaillard is going to get even wider than it is now. He also has a wide open running lane on the outside left.

All corners and safeties are deep up the field on Nuk and Johnson. If he goes through the A gap he has Drake to block the linebacker. If he goes outside left he has Fitz to block the linebacker.

It looks like he has a linebacker spying him in the middle here but thats actually an iDL that didn't rush (sadly it took 5 of our O line to stop 3 rushers). And there ain't know way an iDL is catching Murray.

He would have run this in the previous games and got an easy 1st down. He probably could have got 20 yards off this because after those linebackers there's a tonne of space and all safeties and CB's have their backs to the ball.

He was just off for some reason yesterday.

You must be registered for see images attach

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Apart from Isabella getting open just off the screen in about half a second that A gap you can see between Sweezy and Gaillard is going to get even wider than it is now. He also has a wide open running lane on the outside left.

All corners and safeties are deep up the field on Nuk and Johnson. If he goes through the A gap he has Drake to block the linebacker. If he goes outside left he has Fitz to block the linebacker.

It looks like he has a linebacker spying him in the middle here but thats actually an iDL that didn't rush (sadly it took 5 of our O line to stop 3 rushers). And there ain't know way an iDL is catching Murray.

He would have run this in the previous games and got an easy 1st down. He probably could have got 20 yards off this because after those linebackers there's a tonne of space and all safeties and CB's have their backs to the ball.

I think that double team on his right side took away his visibility on the Andy route or I think he would have stuck it. But, those can also be throws he trusts with anticipation based on his read of the defense moving forward. He just isn't there yet imo. I don't think he'll be Aaron Rodgers in that way anytime soon, but nonetheless, will get better with time.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hopkins doesn't need help. We run trips t the opposite side of Nuk on about 75% of downs. He's often 1 on 1. We could have thrown at him 30 times last night and he would have caught them all on Okudah.

The problem Murray seems to be having with this is that if he doesn't think Nuk is open (he's wrong, he's always open) then on the trips side it's really busy and Murray doesn't seem to be able to process all that traffic.
He's not going to be open if teams double or triple team him, you won't be seeing green rookies like Okudah every week. Another option needs to emerge.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's not going to be open if teams double or triple team him, you won't be seeing green rookies like Okudah every week. Another option needs to emerge.

He's hardly ever doubled or trippled. We have trips the other side most of the time.

Even if not and there's a safety over the top you could throw out routes to him all day long and the safety doesn't come into it.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
To be fair, the Lions ran out a bunch of multiple TE sets. Campbell can only cover 1 TE at a time.

the sky isn’t falling. The Lions were a trendy playoff pick to begin the season (somehow). They’re a better team than they’ve shown in their last 11 consecutive losses.

Kyler’s turnover avoidance regressed right back to the mean.
James had his first 3 catches of the year. Last year he made 16 receptions. If he beats you that’s bad luck. While he didn’t have as big a game as last year Hockenson made the more important catches in my mind. I’d want Campbell on him.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I’ll add to fake concerns: “the line isn’t blocking again.” Pass protection has been fine so far
Not sure who you’re quoting. Most of us seemed to be concerned only with the run blocking. There was zero drive blocking I could see.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Not sure who you’re quoting. Most of us seemed to be concerned only with the run blocking. There was zero drive blocking I could see.

The Cardinals still ran for over 100 yards. The run is plenty effective.

As captain of team Murray, this game was his fault. If he throws one less pick, the Cardinals win this game. If he throws two less picks, they probably win by two TDs.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

As captain of team Murray, this game was his fault. If he throws one less pick, the Cardinals win this game. If he throws two less picks, they probably win by two TDs.
I agree with you Murray assessment. Disagree on run blocking. It is a step down from last year so far.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I agree with you Murray assessment. Disagree on run blocking. It is a step down from last year so far.

The Cardinals had plenty of games last year where they ran the ball a whole lot worse than they did yesterday.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score

The Packers ran for 259 yards & 7.4 yards a carry.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Fitz is either a forgotten man in this offense or he's cooked.
Murray still struggles to go through any progressions.
The secondary is deficient.
The Oline is ordinary.
KK is who he is, a guy who can draw up trick plays but can't call an entire game.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fitz is either a forgotten man in this offense or he's cooked.
Murray still struggles to go through any progressions.
The secondary is deficient.
The Oline is ordinary.
KK is who he is, a guy who can draw up trick plays but can't call an entire game.

Fitz isn't cooked. You answered your own question.

Fitz isn't getting the touches because Kyler can't proficiently go through his reads. Fitz is often the 3rd read, and that's mostly 2 more than Kyler goes through.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My observations:

- Hopkins needs help

the running game has been garbage if you remove Murray from it.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

People will look at 3 ints and say that Kyler was just awful. I'm not big off on PFF, but they did grade him at 73 (above average) Again he still was bad imo.

First int his arm was hit. Second was obviously a terrible decision. However, going into the half I believe he was 13/17 146 yards 1td 2 ints

I didnt bring it up but his mood seemed to change once he was brought off the field on 4th down. They showed him complaining to Hundley and then him and Kliff were on the sidelines talking. Seemed like Kliff was trying to be understanding and reassuring. Eventually had another TD drive, but he still just looked out of it.

He's gotta handle adversity better and not mentally be out of it if things dont go his way. Even if he's right.