What I Saw

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The O-line is lousy at run blocking.

Murray may make the playoffs, but he’ll never be a big winner until he learns to be an NFL professional. He still stares down receivers and throws into coverage. Consider the time he threw deep to Johnson who was double covered. He almost always throws to the primary receiver. He personally kept the Lions in this game.

How did Campbell not continuously end up on the tight end?

Jaron Brown should move ahead of Johnson on the depth chart.

No interceptions from this passive defense. There’s a lack of aggressiveness that once was a Cardinal hallmark. This also indicates the defenders are in poor position to jump routes or fight for balls. Murray, in particular, has no clue on position. He appears to be a wasted pick.

Reddick has a surprising burst when pass rushing.

Hard to believe that Fitz was invisible in this game, but he was not often the primary receiver.

Hopkins May be better than anticipated.

Peterson is not the factor he once was. He’s no longer a shut down corner.

Cards looked terrible covering receivers out of the backfield.

Pass rush seemed more disruptive last season.

If developing Murray is part of coaching; Kingsbury got out coached; worrisome.

Cardinals looked like a team that had been reading their own press clippings.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
To be fair, the Lions ran out a bunch of multiple TE sets. Campbell can only cover 1 TE at a time.

the sky isn’t falling. The Lions were a trendy playoff pick to begin the season (somehow). They’re a better team than they’ve shown in their last 11 consecutive losses.

Kyler’s turnover avoidance regressed right back to the mean.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
To be fair, the Lions ran out a bunch of multiple TE sets. Campbell can only cover 1 TE at a time.

the sky isn’t falling. The Lions were a trendy playoff pick to begin the season (somehow). They’re a better team than they’ve shown in their last 11 consecutive losses.

Kyler’s turnover avoidance regressed right back to the mean.
Their 11 game losing streak is greatly exaggerated too. Stafford broke his back last year and they were forced to use David Blough for 5 games and Jeff Driskel in 3 games.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is a no identity team.

not great at passing football

not great at running football

not great at stopping the run

not great at stopping the pass

Cardinals are the Lions of the NFC West.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
The play that drove me crazy was the intentional grounding. That’s 2 weeks in a row. It’s like he doesn’t know the rule because he had plenty of time to throw it out of bounds somewhere near a receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The defense wasn’t the problem... if we don’t give the ball away three times our TOP goes up and Detroit doesn’t score 26 on us. Not to mention the points we lost due to the turnovers.
I would prefer to see our defense more aggressive but the simple fact is that our second year qb had a bad game and it cost us the win.
Growing pains.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Real concerns (IMO):
  • Kyler Murray was sniffing his farts all off-season instead of getting better at reading defenses
  • Chandler Jones spent more time talking about getting sacks in 2020 than finding ways to create them
  • Father Time caught up to Fitzgerald
  • Byron Murphy might not be better than replacement level

Fake concerns:
  • Patrick Peterson is no longer good — soft zones today we’re reminiscent of two years ago
  • We can’t cover tight ends still — plenty of teams only have one legit TE but Detroit has two

Real

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fact there we still don’t have a INT is ALARMING.

Hell, it took 7 games until we got a INT last year?
Simply an indication of your coaching. Play scared and this is what it looks like .. it will work occasionally, but not when you need the big plays in games like we did today. Essentially...not playoff style defense which is all that kinda matters at the end of the day.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real concerns (IMO):
  • Kyler Murray was sniffing his farts all off-season instead of getting better at reading defenses
  • Chandler Jones spent more time talking about getting sacks in 2020 than finding ways to create them

Fake concerns:
  • Patrick Peterson is no longer good — soft zones today we’re reminiscent of two years ago
  • We can’t cover tight ends still — plenty of teams only have one legit TE but Detroit has two

Real

I'm really not worried about Chandler they were doubling and tripling him much of the game. on the last drive the 20 yarder to Jones (Marvin) the OL literally grabbed Chandler by the arm, that play should never have counted. THere were a couple of others too. I get it elite pass rushers have to beat double teams and they get held but I think the doubling and tripling opened up other guys. They made hay underneath.

Very concerned about our pass coverage, Budda is beat up but can't play the ball, Murphy struggled, we just don't seem to be able to make a play back there.

Simmons a total non factor again today

On Kyler really the play that bugged me was the force to Keesean late, why throw into double coverage there I guess he didn't see Andy break open but if you're going to force one there, force it to Hopkins or Fitz.

I do think it can't be said enough this offense misses Maxx Williams, our run blocking is not as good as last year.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Real concerns (IMO):

Fake concerns:

Real
I’ll add to fake concerns: “the line isn’t blocking again.” Pass protection has been fine so far

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
they had no focus. As I said before, Kliff cannot handle winning and how to keep his players focused, one game at a time.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Vance Joseph is a very average DC. Disappointing game for Murray, and our OL is still a concern. KK is too gadgety for his own good. As bad as this was, and it was bad, let’s not forget that we’re 2 years removed from being the worst team in Cardinal history. And that’s saying something.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The bottom line is that we should not be throwing to Kesean Johnson, unless he is WIDE open. We have the best WR in the nfl in Hopkins, a solid possession guy in Fitz, and a guy today in Isabella that looked like he belonged in the nfl. Not to mention Arnold, running the ball, or having Kyler scramble. Throwing to a bum like Johnson should literally be the last option on offense....and we gave him 6 targets, including several in crunch time.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The O-line is lousy at run blocking.

Murray may make the playoffs, but he’ll never be a big winner until he learns to be an NFL professional. He still stares down receivers and throws into coverage. Consider the time he threw deep to Johnson who was double covered. He almost always throws to the primary receiver. He personally kept the Lions in this game.

How did Campbell not continuously end up on the tight end?

Jaron Brown should move ahead of Johnson on the depth chart.

No interceptions from this passive defense. There’s a lack of aggressiveness that once was a Cardinal hallmark. This also indicates the defenders are in poor position to jump routes or fight for balls. Murray, in particular, has no clue on position. He appears to be a wasted pick.

Reddick has a surprising burst when pass rushing.

Hard to believe that Fitz was invisible in this game, but he was not often the primary receiver.

Hopkins May be better than anticipated.

Peterson is not the factor he once was. He’s no longer a shut down corner.

Cards looked terrible covering receivers out of the backfield.

Pass rush seemed more disruptive last season.

If developing Murray is part of coaching; Kingsbury got out coached; worrisome.

Cardinals looked like a team that had been reading their own press clippings.
Vance's scheme is overly complicated and leads to players playing slower because of all of the if/then scenarios. Big complaint in Denver when he took over and Wade Phillips left. Wade kept things simple enough for players to play fast...Vance tries to scheme for everything.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The bottom line is that we should not be throwing to Kesean Johnson, unless he is WIDE open. We have the best WR in the nfl in Hopkins, a solid possession guy in Fitz, and a guy today in Isabella that looked like he belonged in the nfl. Not to mention Arnold, running the ball, or having Kyler scramble. Throwing to a bum like Johnson should literally be the last option on offense....and we gave him 6 targets, including several in crunch time.
Tell Kyler...he is the one throwing the ball.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What I noticed -

The "body language" of our players between downs seemed flat.

Patricia seemed to have "held back" certain plays and players (i.e. Hockenson) till late in the game when he needed them.

Kingsbury's style seemed to include emptying his bag of trick plays at the start off the second half. What's with that?

There were too many times when K Murray played like a rookie - with poor clock mgt., weird play calling, bad reads etc. That's inevitable when you rely on a young QB. What we don't know is whether he'll grow out of it.

If and when he gets to a point where he can be trusted remains to be seen. Until we know this, it will be hard to predict how good or bad this team will turn out to be.

Right now, I'd describe the Cardinals as a talented, but erratic football team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose