What does Keim do at the end of season?

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm curious if people think(not what you would do, or want him to do), if this season continues on it's current trajectory will he cut bait on Wilks or stay the course? In terms of trajectory I mean around a 3 win team with a not a lot of hope in sight and players likely not believing their staff has the answers.

My opinion is he has two choices.... he will either react swiftly at the end of the year and renew the hope of the fans and players with a new staff, or go with the "it might take a few years" approach and hope it pays off.

My thought on which way he goes (availability of other HC/staff options aside) will really depend on the locker room. There have been coaches who it took a few seasons of sucking to get good, but I think they managed to survive the period because the players believed there was some light at the end of the tunnel. More importantly, most of those teams were bad to begin with and the players were used to losing, so any small success was hope. Our players are used to believing they can be contenders and the years they weren't it due injuries and not incompetency. Take a team that was used to being in the playoff picture each year and then turn them into a 3-13 team and you'll have a lot of trouble getting the players to go along with the "give it a couple years and we might be better" when they don't want even want another week with what their job has turned into.

In hindsight it seems so obvious what a whiff this whole thing was. You would think with all the success we had in the BA era that he would bring in someone with a similar philosophy on schemes that planned to build on the bright spots, eliminate the weak ones and not just tear it all down and start over. Our team wasn't full of journeymen and rookies, so it's hard enough to come in and tell a bunch of vets that you're doing it the wrong way, especially when it seems they weren't!

Think about it this way... I'm sure some of you worked for a company that went under new management and it's tough. Unless the company is just bleeding and in dire straights to begin with, usually they don't come in and just shake everything thing up at once - like firing and replacing half the team, changing all the processes, etc. When they go that route nearly all of the staff hates their job and wants out and it often ends in disaster for the company, at the very least in the short/mid term. The smart way is you ease in, find out what is working, make incremental changes and improvements and everyone adjusts to changes without too much hassle. The ship stays mostly on course and slowly starts picking up speed.

I'm in the camp that Keim has realized he made a big mistake. He's not sitting back smiling like he's a mad genius because he knows his masterplan is going to be this huge success in another season or two and everyone else just doesn't realize it yet. He has to figure out how to deal with the bed he made. Does it lay in it and hope he gets lucky that it gets better and he survives long enough to be here when that happens, or fold his hand, admit it wasn't a good fit for a team that needed a transitional approach and take a mulligan and hope he doesn't throw snake eyes a second time in a row.

If locker room is with Wilks I think SK will keep Wilks due to the contact and just the toll it takes on a org constantly switching staff. Even though it isn't a great option, it might be the less of two evils for us.

But, here's the flipside... if Wilks has lost the players it will be a lock for us to be a terrible team with him here. Here's the thing though, I think out of self-preservation SK still keeps Wilks because as long as Wilks is around so he can play the "wait and see" card and buy himself at least another couple seasons guaranteed regardless of how we do. If he screws up a second coaching hire in a row he'll be out on the street quicker and with less ability to recover from it in the league.

My bet is on Wilks staying as long as Keim is here. The caveat is if Keim knows his leash is short and if next season is bad also he'll be fired, AND if Wilks has lost the players, then I bet Keim changes HC because he knows he'll have better odds with a new staff than a staff the players aren't inspired to play for.

I know I've got some caveats in there, but I think the two things that influence the outcome are if the players believe in the staff and how long of a leash does Keim have with MB.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keim doesn't get to do anything but freshen up his resume. He embarrassed the entire organization off the field when he got that extreme DUI. After embarrassing them again on the with the product he's put together, there's no reason to let him do any more damage to the team.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whether you like Keim or not, I think Cheese is right. This franchise is truly an embarrassment to Michael. Being in a transient area, Michael knows that our base isn’t strong enough to overcome a succession of 3-13 seasons. He needs to fix the problems quickly or the opposing teams will dominate the stands for home games. That’s a kiss of death for this franchise.

JD Robertson

Registered
Reaction score
Keim doesn't get to do anything but freshen up his resume. He embarrassed the entire organization off the field when he got that extreme DUI. After embarrassing them again on the with the product he's put together, there's no reason to let him do any more damage to the team.

I agree.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Agreed.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Looking through the classifieds as everyone is saying. I honestly think right now Bidwill is privately looking into possible replacements to get an idea of who he can get immediately so they can get an early start to cleaning this mess.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keim has to cut bait. Dictating staff changes will not cut it. Wilkes cannot attract a talented staff. If Keim has a job he needs to admit his error, and good luck with that. If Keim is on thin ice what coach will want to risk coming on board with a dead man walking. Keim will resign/retire.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know this is an unpopular opinion but BASK's "win now"(which didn't win anything) mentality has set this team back years. When I look at the 42 draft picks they made and only see a few actually contributing to this team, that's a problem. They did nothing to build a future.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is an unpopular opinion but BASK's "win now"(which didn't win anything) mentality has set this team back years. When I look at the 42 draft picks they made and only see a few actually contributing to this team, that's a problem. They did nothing to build a future.
In a different system Carson Palmer might still be QBing the Cards. Unprotected and battered. Arians was pig headed.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Wiseacre Answer: He picks up his box, turns off the lights in his office and heads over to Tilted Kilt.

Real Answer: It depends on what Michael Bidwill thinks about Wilks. If Wilks can keep Bidwill's confidence through this, he's going to consider what to do with the offense. We've done enough to transition away from the 3-4 that you might be re-setting the defense even further to go back.

If you bring in a new GM from the outside, that's a two-year transition. You need your current scouting staff in place to get you to/through the draft, then you have to re-make that group.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think Keim and BA got cocky with the Mathieu pick. So they selected Nkemdiche and ignored his red flags thinking they could rehab his image/career like they did with Mathieu. That draft ended up as a total disaster.

Since they couldn't rely on anyone from that draft they were forced to keep more old Vets on the roster. In the final year of BASK the roster was the oldest in the league. I mentioned it before but this last ditch effort to win with the old BA players set this team back more than we realized. Now there are gaping holes on the roster as a result.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wiseacre Answer: He picks up his box, turns off the lights in his office and heads over to Tilted Kilt.

Real Answer: It depends on what Michael Bidwill thinks about Wilks. If Wilks can keep Bidwill's confidence through this, he's going to consider what to do with the offense. We've done enough to transition away from the 3-4 that you might be re-setting the defense even further to go back.

If you bring in a new GM from the outside, that's a two-year transition. You need your current scouting staff in place to get you to/through the draft, then you have to re-make that group.

With the current talent on the roster it's probably a two year transition no matter what.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Keim, if retained, would need at least 2-3 seasons to make a difference in this roster. Plus he needs a reeducation via a brain transplant. New guy please.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Unless Wilks turns things around this season I think he's gone. You can't have a bunch of rookie coaches like what we have this year. If you bring in a first year head coach you need very experienced coordinators to help run things smoothly.

I think Keim and Michael Bidwill hire a new coaching staff next season. We have a QBOTF in Rosen and a ton of money on next years cap with most likely a top five draft pick. This team can be made into a playoff team very easily. Picking the right coaching staff is key. You can't have a bunch of inexperienced coaches to start out with. You bring in no more than one young coach at a time. Like DeFillippo. If we hired him as Head coach he would also call plays so we wouldn't need a really good OC. Then go out and get that guy like Bowels or a Wade Wilson type to make the defense good again. It's not that hard to turn things around in a season. Look at the Rams. If they can do it so can we.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless Wilks turns things around this season I think he's gone. You can't have a bunch of rookie coaches like what we have this year. If you bring in a first year head coach you need very experienced coordinators to help run things smoothly.

I think Keim and Michael Bidwill hire a new coaching staff next season. We have a QBOTF in Rosen and a ton of money on next years cap with most likely a top five draft pick. This team can be made into a playoff team very easily. Picking the right coaching staff is key. You can't have a bunch of inexperienced coaches to start out with. You bring in no more than one young coach at a time. Like DeFillippo. If we hired him as Head coach he would also call plays so we wouldn't need a really good OC. Then go out and get that guy like Bowels or a Wade Wilson type to make the defense good again. It's not that hard to turn things around in a season. Look at the Rams. If they can do it so can we.

Yeah it only took the Rams 13 years to get back into the playoffs.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My takes is that the rest of the season is basically a make-good tryout for Leftwich to be the next HC. If he shows anything I could see him saving Keim’s position, but with forcing him to make a major reshuffling of many people’s duties (like Wilks moved to DC to salvage some of his contract cost)

I’m also thinking Keim’s responsibilities will be scrutinized much more closely, with the possibility of the scouting department having wholesale changes and a strong personnel director being put in place to oversee his decision making activities.

If Leftwich is no better than McCoy (hard as it is to imagine) then this is the excuse MB has to can the whole group, apologize to the fans for the mistake and let everyone know we’re in a rebuild cycle with Rosen the centerpiece of the new look Cards.

Personally I’m okay with whichever way this plays out unless it’s maintaning the status quo, because I can forgive mistakes but not blatant stupidity.

JTS

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

I think BA pictured himself riding off into the sunset holding the Lombardi trophy. For him I think it was his favorite scenario to toss it into the face of the Steeler organization. I suspect he always held a grudge against them. That is why he had the win now mentality and I don't think it mattered much to him how he left the Cardinal organization if he brought home a SB win and he got what he wanted out of it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I am on team "Blow it up" but if I am being honest, I will be shocked if Bidwill eats three years of contracts for both Keim and Wilks. I also have a tough time seeing Bidwill keeping one and firing the other.

Flip side, I definitely do not see Bidwill firing Keim and forcing Wilks onto another GM. Far more likely that Bidwill would keep Keim and hire the next coach to a three year deal.

So, either both are gone, both stay, or Keim stays with a new coach on a 3 year deal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson