• AMD Processor

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I have a Mac

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Just curious how it breaks down - I have always had an Intel based CPU in my computers, and I have nothing but Intel CPU's and mobos in the workstations I buy at work. But I have been looking into AMD a little more lately. I doubt I will get one but it was the first time I seriously looked into it.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
When the Thunderbird came out I looked at AMD too, but I still love intel

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
I consider myself an "Intel Guy", but both of my home PC's have AMD processors (900 MHz Thunderbird & XP 1700+). I personally built both systems, and AMD has the biggest bang for the buck. I have an Intel mo-bo setting around waiting to be used, but it is a Socket 423. Finding an affordable 2.0MHz Pentium 4 to go in there has been difficult.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an AMD Athalon XP I think, 2.0 ghz...my home computer flies now.

Mike

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I only use intel. In my "server" have a 2.4 ghz but my mobo can handle 3.0+...I am going to upgrade when the prices come down. I have a RAID built into that baby

My wife's computer is a P4 1.8, my main home desktop is a 933 mhz and my laptop is a 1.6 mhz

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
AMD Athlon 2000 XP+ I think is what I have, around 1.67. I have 1 gig of Crucial memory in this thing, a 40 gig and an 80 gig hard drive, and a Geforce 3 64 mb graphics card. Lets just say at the LAN parties I go to my computer is not one of the slower machines...

adam

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
For those interested in P4 vs. XP+ news

Here's the conclusion of an article on "Tom's Hardware Guide" between the Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz and the AMD 3200+

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030623/index.html

Conclusion: AMD & Intel the Fastest x86 CPUs, P4 with 3.2 GHz Currently Leads

Originally, the P4 based on the Northwood core wasn't supposed to reach such high clock speeds, with 3 GHz thought to be the max. However, the delay on the launch of the Athlon 64 (September 2003) meant that Intel could take a defensive tack with its product cycle (by Intel standards) and plan on presenting the Pentium 5 at the end of this year. In the final phase of development, Intel launches the 3.2-GHz version P4, which competes with the AMD Athlon XP 3200+ in name alone.

In our extensive benchmark tests, the P4 is always in the lead - we talked about this in our last article High-Flying: AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Squares Off Against Intel P4 3 GHz. To be fair, it must be said that AMD offers a good performance/ price ratio with its Athlon processors, but it still cannot quite keep up with the Intel CPUs.

But, as ever, there's a big fan club that is loyal to the Athlon. After all, the evaluation phase of the Athlon 64 will soon be wrapped up in Dresden, so the processor with optional 64-bit addressing will be available on the market. If the Athlon 64 surpasses the P4 in performance, then the market will become active once more. This is the only way to break Intel's current dominance. However, Intel has prepared for this and has the Pentium 5 (Prescott) ready and waiting in the wings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard