What are the 10 moments(games, drafts, wins, losses)that define you as a Cards fan?

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
MrY said:
There was some Monday Night game where the Cards played the Giants and the score ended in like a 9-9 tie with about 8 missed field goals and I remember Howard Cosell remarking that it was the most boring sporting event in the history of the free world...
Howard was right. And it was an overtime game as well I think. Neil O'Donoughue.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
1) Getting to watch the Cards from their sideline in the inagural game at
Seahawks Stadium. Thanks Michael B. and team photographer.
2) '98 playoff victory against the Cryboys in my own hometown.
3) '84 last game loss at RFK. Cards had an electric offense that could have done damage in playoffs if they had won that game. Maybe the best overall
Cardinal team ever.
4) Mel Gray or Roy lighting up a Cowboy secondary. Name a game they did it.
5) Hearing that Don Coryell and the rest of his staff were fired after a 7-7
season in 1977. Mr. B changed the locks to all their offices after last game.
6) '84 game at Busch stadium against 'Skins. Roy and Neil light up the Redskins secondary and win on last second FG. My 1st game in person.
7) Ottis Anderson's first game as a Card in '79 against Cryboys. 176 yds, this
kid was good.
8) Mud game against 'Skins in '74 or '75. Cards win on last play on phantom
catch by Mel Gray. Believe it or not, we used to have the calls go our way.
9) Seeing old highlights of the '70's Cards. Hart, Gray, Otis, Dierdorf, Werhli,
Banks, Dobler, Bakken and Metcalf. As stated above if you never saw Terry
Metcalf run, you mised out. He was Barry Sanders before Sanders. The
"CARDIAC CARDS."
10) Getting to meet, talk to and get Quan's autogragh at last seasons Super
Bowl in Houston.

The Memories.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Not in any particular order:

1. Getting thrown out of our hotel after the Giants game in '96. We couldn't figure out why they'd be upset at us yelling out the window at the Giants fans. Of course throwing the chairs out the window at the Giants fans and breaking down the door after getting locked out of the room might have ticked them off a little.
2. Cards Corner get together for the Dallas game in '97
3. Mel's "phantom" TD against the Redskins in '75.
4. 38-0 1970 Monday night vs. Dallas and Meredith singing turn out the lites.
5. Monday night Christmas 1995 and Buddy hiding from the press.
6. Getting a John Roach Football Card in 1960 which turned me into a football Cardinal fan.
7. Bobby Joe Conrad becoming my favorite player after a great performance against Pittsburgh in 1963.
8. Finding "The History of the St.Louis Football Cardinals" a book by Bob Broeg a writer with the St.Louis Post Dispatch at a library sale in Bellville ILL.
9.Accidently meeting dvl and derm - I believe on the way in to the Atlanta game after the first and last Cardinal board golf tournament 4 years ago.
10. The half time meet. Though I have almost no recollection of the first one I went to.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no one says this enough - We may fight - and we may hate each other at times and all of us WILL NEVER AGREE ON A SINGLE THING IN THE HISTORY OF THE CARDS . . . but this board has the most passionate fans on the planet. Can't wait for Sunday's game and another halftime meet where BIM makes fun of me for not wearing Red.

Oh- and thank God for Dennis Green.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
no one says this enough - We may fight - and we may hate each other at times and all of us WILL NEVER AGREE ON A SINGLE THING IN THE HISTORY OF THE CARDS . . . but this board has the most passionate fans on the planet. Can't wait for Sunday's game and another halftime meet where BIM makes fun of me for not wearing Red.

Oh- and thank God for Dennis Green.

:raccoon:

Man...It's been intresting reading about all this Cards history that I didnt know since I only became a fan of the Cards and a real football fan a couple years ago when I was about 14 or 15.

OP
OP
Lomax to Green 84

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A great Ottis Anderson run came in either 1983 or 1984 against the San Diego Chargers at Busch Stadium. Anderson had been dogged in the media by some members of the Chargers organization who said he was a soft player. Anderson was a guy who became a great power runner, but early in his career he was more of a big guy who ran like a finesse runner. During his rookie season he had a meeting with Franco Harris who advised him not to abuse his body and to step out of bounds instead of running over people if the opportunity was there. Anderson apparently had been doing that alot in 83 or 84 and some opposing players went public accusing him of being soft.

OJ took the criticism to heart and had a monster game against the Chargers. The best run maybe of his career came in that game when he looked like he would be bottled up for a short gain, he gets lifted into the air by a Chargers defensive linemen who tries to body slam him and as he is getting thrown to the ground he somehow keeps his balance, spins off the tackle and rumbles to 50+ yards.

To OJ Anderson fans out there: Anyone remember the Old School commercials out a few years ago that showed a bunch of runs by running backs wearing the #32? They showed tons on OJ runs wearing the awesome white on white uniform, black and red trim pants. Great stuff.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are mine. Forgive the errors in dates...

1. Visiting AZ the summer before the first season in AZ. Everyone there was hyped. That's when I decided to root for the Cards.

2. Opening day in 1998, I think, when the Cards were in Philly. The game was gonna be blacked out in my area so I went to the Vet by myself. Watched Jake pull off one of his crazy comeback wins. Met Corey Chavous after the game and he acted amazed that anybody in the Philly area knew who he was. It was awesome.

3. Beating Dallas in the playoffs. WAY COOL!

4. Crying when Buddy Ryan was named head coach.

5. Visiting SDS for the first time in 1999, I think. The Pats beat the Cards something like 27 to 3, but I loved being there. Mey Jake, Aeneas and a bunch of other guys. Even had a beer with Coach Tobin after the game.

6. Holding my breath when we beat the Chargers with that last kick.

7. There was an Eagles game years ago where there were onsides kicks back and forth and scoring by each team back-to-back within seconds. It was crazy and I can't remember when it was, but I know it was sometime in the late 1990s. I believe the Cards eventually won that game.

8. Defending why I am a Cards fan every week at the little local bar where I would watch the Cards on satellite before I got Direct TV.

9. Telling off some ******** Eagles fan at the Vet when Zach Walz broke his leg and the stupid Eagles fan cheered. I told him to shut up and he said, "You don't even know who that guy is." I proceeded to tell him and give him a bunch of info on Walz and somehow that shut him up (at least for the next 30 seconds :rolleyes: )

10. Meeting all you guys on Sept. 19 at SDS. It was nice to finally be surrounding by Cards fans and know that, while I may be the only one in South Jersey, I am NOT the only one in the world! :)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rocco said:
Yeah, me too. Geez Russ, you've been around for a while. Remember Roger Wherli?

Oh yeah, the Buffalo game. I remember Dierdorf getting beat like a drum by Ross Browner the entire game.

Wehrli was just about in his prime when I started watching in 75, maybe just on the way down from his prime.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Simply, moving here. They are my team until I leave. If I don't land in another NFL city they will continue to be defining moment in my life.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Because being from Philly area you knew he was a nutcase or because you were so happy that the Cards were getting him as a coach? :D

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's interesting to me on this thread is how many of the older memories are the same. I assume it's because before Directv and Sunday Ticket we only got to see a certain number of Cards games on national tv and if you were a Card fan, you saw that game? That's why the 84 loss at RFK is on just about everyone's list, I taped it and the tape stopped before O'Donoghue missed the last FG, finally taped over it just a few short years ago.

Vividly remember waiting for what seemed like 10 minutes for Fred Silva to signal a TD on the Gray "catch" against Washington. Bad call but given how many times Pat Fischer hit Gray with a forearm to the head and didn't get called in his career, we had that one coming.

On a bad note, I'll always remember on a fishing trip we stayed at a friend of my dad's house in Southern California, I opened the sports page and read about the tragic death of JV Cain the young Cards TE who collapsed on the practice field.

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
FIRST OFF DONT KNOW ThE DATES:

- Niel Lomax with roy green and jt smith cardinals first arrive and they are fun to watch.

- Trading our best TE (jay novacek) in our history to DALLAS

- Tim Rosenbach leading a preseason where we were scoring about 40 points a game. THen the season starts Rosenbach was injured and we lanquished in last place.

- David Boston owning the league

- Buddy BALL

- Garrison pushing a wheelbarrow for being in buddy ryans doghouse for working out in georgia on rehab. Embarrases him so he leaves AZ.

- Ken Harvey enough said
- Andre wadsworrth brings me to tears as did ferguson proclaiming him the best DL in a decade to come outta the draft

- Marcell shipp going down in 2004 when it appeared he was the complete RB we have been missing in the backfield

- We draft 2 players in the FIRST round one year at guard? No one drafts guards in first round but we did. IF Calvin Pace wouldnt have shown some signs of life that draft was on the verge of a beauty lol

- Jake Plummer after great senior year he comes in to lead comeback against Philly. That cemented me as a Card fan more than ever.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MastersofCombat said:
FIRST OFF DONT KNOW ThE DATES:

-
- We draft 2 players in the FIRST round one year at guard? No one drafts guards in first round but we did.

I'm guessing you mean 93 and Ernest Dye and Ben Coleman? Dye was a tackle who wound up at Guard after an injury in a car crash, which basically ended his career. Coleman had a pretty long career, Buddy released him IIRC correctly. And Ben was a 2nd rounder not a first. At the time I thought we'd had a great draft, Dye never really panned out though and Buddy dumped Coleman.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duckjake said:

Because being from Philly area you knew he was a nutcase or because you were so happy that the Cards were getting him as a coach? :D

Definitely nut case.

Jaccoob

Cardinal Lunatic
Reaction score
Have to many to remember but my favorite was when i made a trip to Dallas, Tx. in 1998 to watch the playoff game..I remember not only my insane acting but the total look of shock on Cowboy fans after the game..A moment ill never :thumbup: forget :shocker:

cards 24-7-365

Registered
Reaction score
In no particular order: Some repeats. I have been a fan since about '96, so these are pretty recent.

1. Going to the game vs the Eagles the same day as Game 7 D-backs vs Yankees. Most depressing game ever - Eagles run opening kick-off back and the Cards never put up a fight. Smallest crowd I can remember. Followed that by going to Game 7 - unbelievable energy - great game (And I am adie hard Yankees fan).

2. McGinnis going into the crowd when the Cards beat the 'skins the Sunday before the Stadium vote. Aneas running the fumble back 107 yards or whatever it was. McGinnis seemed to go into the crowd for every win there after.

3. Those last two home games of '98. Saints and Chargers - Jake at is finest.

4. Jake's 98 yard drive vs the Eagles as a rookie.

5. Standing next to Leanord Davis the largest human being on earth, and imagining him running at me full speed in full pads trying to knock my head off - very scary.

6. Leonard body slamming Mike Brown. Thinking that this guy is going to dominate for 15 years.

7. Watching our "QB of the future" hit LJ Shelton in th facemask with a pass while standing in the endzone. THinking that I am so stupid for putting myself through the pain and misery of watching this team and thinking (hoping) that they have a chance to win every week.

8. Watching the Packers and their fans nearly die last year as we pummeled them in the fouth quarter. The only time I can think of us ever using out "home field advantage"

9. Going to San Fran for the game 2 weeks ago. Being so impressed and excited about this season after the Fitz TD. Watching 80% of the 49er fans leaving in disbelief after that TD, muttering "I can't believe we are going to lose the Cards". 30 minutes later I'm on the edge of vommiting after the 49ers win in OT. After a few hours, and now a couple weeks - I truly feel that these are not the "same ol Cardinals".

10. Most importantly, being one of the few die hard Cards fans screaming our lungs out on Sundays at a half empty SDS!

I have a "feeling" about this weeks game - Look out Seahags!

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Nice thread. Here are mine:

1. Cardinal comeback win over the Joe Montana led 49ers 24-23. The day I became a Cardinal Fan. (Willing to pay for a copy of the game)

2. The Goal Post game. I was the manager at a bar in Virginia and had the game on the big screen. A bunch of rowdy Cowboy fans were "acting-up". I announced a free round of drinks if the Cards win, just to shut them up. As the game wound down, the entire bar, sans Cowboy fans, were screaming and cheering on the win. Needless to say, the playing field field wasn't the only place going crazy after that win.

3. The reports of Pat Tillmans death may have been the most emotial memory for me relating to this team.

4. Play off victory over the Cowboys. Watching Aeneas Williams in tears of joy. A very special day. I thought we had finally turned the corner. Too bad we followed it up with possibly our worst offseason in history.

5. Josh McCown's toss to boot the Vikings out of the play-offs. A great send-off to one of the all time "nicest" coaches. Hopefully the launching point for an era of Cardinal greatness. Hopefully....

6. Getting DirectTV. For the first time in my life, I'm able to watch all games on TV, with sound. Possibly the greatest invention in my lifetime.

7. Freddie Joe Nunn monster sack in SDS on rookie Dallas QB Troy Aikman. Troy didn't move for ten minutes. I literally thought he was dead. Aeneas Williams hit on Steve Young was a real flash-back to that FJN play.

8. Buddy Ryan Hired/Fired. Hiring was an all time low, and nearly led me to giving up on the team. I stuck with them, and was glad his stay was as short as it was.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Capital Card said:
Nice thread. Here are mine:

1. Cardinal comeback win over the Joe Montana led 49ers 24-23. The day I became a Cardinal Fan. (Willing to pay for a copy of the game)

It was actually the Steve Young led 49ers - a lot of people say if Young got that first down on a dive with just under two minutes left and the Niners won - he would have remained at QB and the next era would have begun. We saved Joe Montana's career that day.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In no particular order:

OJ Anderson running wild in his first start on opening day vs Dallas

The horrible MNF OT tie with NYG

"Bags" seven FGs vs Pittsburgh

Cardinal beat Bears in preseason (Armed Forces Game) at Soldiers Field in 1960 - my first game, Cards first visit to Chicago...

The Pat Tillman story

Roy Green 106 yd. KO return

38-0 whipping of Dallas on MNF with Dandy Don in tears

O'Donoghue's FG miss vs 'Skins (of course)

Josh's TD pass to eliminate Vikings last year

Dboler biting someone

There are a million more - GBR!!

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been following this team for over 40 yrs, so I'll go back to the St. Louis days. In no particular order:
- 1966 Cardinals Win their first 5 games with Charley Johnson as their QB & Charley Winner as their coach. Johnson breaks his leg against the Giants in week 5 & Cardinals lose 4 of last 5 & finish out of the playoffs at 8-5-1.

- 1970 Cardinals have 3 shutouts in a row: Houston 44-0, Boston 31-0, Dallas 38-0 (Monday Night game in Dallas. Keep in mind, Dallas went to the Super Bowl that year). Cardinals lose last 3 games to finish 8-5-1 & out of playoffs. Charley Winner is fired, Bob Hollway hired. Cardinals go 4-9-1 3 yrs in a row before Corryell rescues the franchise.

- 1974 Cardinals win 1st 7 games, finish 10-4, lose to Vikings in playoffs 30-14.

- 1975 Cardinals go 11-3, but still had to play their playoff game on the road. They fall behind 28-0 to the Rams in the 1st half, rally big time, but fall 35-23.

- 1978 Cards drop 1st 8 games under Bud Wilkinson, finish at 6-10

- 1984 Lomax tears up the NFC. I was at the final game in Wash & the officials SCREWED us badly down the stretch. We stopped the Skins twice on 4th down on their last drive, but phantom pass interference call & horrible roughing the QB call allowed the Skins to beat us.

- 1993-1996 Cardinals beat the Skins 4 times in a row in DC. The last win was when Boomer threw for 522 yds in a 37-34 OT win. The Cardinals were losing by 2-3 TD's most of the game, but the Skins just COULD NOT stop us.

- 1998 I'm watching the Cardinal - SD game at my folks house in Syracuse, NY. My parents didn't have a VCR, so I taped as much of the game with my camcorder as I could. When Jacke kicks the winner, I'm jumping around, so the video is tough to follow. My Dad & I are screaming & eventually we're crying. TEARS OF JOY. When I watch that tape, it still brings tears to my eyes.

Nothing since 1998 worth mentioning. Dave McGinnis was no question the WORST coach this franchise has ever had. Great guy, very entertaining, but HORRIBLE coach!!!!!!!!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
It was actually the Steve Young led 49ers - a lot of people say if Young got that first down on a dive with just under two minutes left and the Niners won - he would have remained at QB and the next era would have begun. We saved Joe Montana's career that day.

FWIW on replay I'm convinced he DID get the first down, they just didn't give it to him. I never heard the end of that from 49er fans.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
FWIW on replay I'm convinced he DID get the first down, they just didn't give it to him. I never heard the end of that from 49er fans.

Russ - am I right that there was a lot of talk leading up to that game and that season that it was finaly Steve Young's time and that if they won that game - it may have kept Montana on the bench? I seem to remember that - but it was a long time ago and you would know better than I would being in the Bay area.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
Russ - am I right that there was a lot of talk leading up to that game and that season that it was finaly Steve Young's time and that if they won that game - it may have kept Montana on the bench? I seem to remember that - but it was a long time ago and you would know better than I would being in the Bay area.

49er fans at that time disliked Young, they still wanted Joe. They had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the Young era. There was a sort of it's time for a new QB feeling in the works, but until he won a Superbowl there were a lot of 49er fans who didn't like Young.

Curious how his HOF vote goes, his prime was brilliant, but he had a fairly short run with years of mediocrity before it. I think at his best nobody ever was a better overall QB, but that was for maybe 5 years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort