Welcome to Phoenix, Bridges

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
why can't we play Booker at PG if we are not relying on him to score 30 per game? that would allow Bridges to play 2, JJ 3 and either Bender or Chriss at the 4.

That line is big and has everything.

Whatever happens we needed 3p shooting and D, now we have it. Obviously it would be better if Bridges was a PG but he isn't. It's up to the coach now.

I think it's more likely we play small than big, going with something like Knight, Booker, Jackson, Bridges, Ayton rather than going big with the lineup you proposed. From what I've been reading it seems Bridges is more of an undersized PF rather than a big SG, if he's not playing SF. I'm liking the Shawn Marion with a jumper comparisons. I can see that.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's compare frontcourts to Western playoff teams, Ayton, Bridges, and Jackson really isn't undersized. The more I looked the less worried I am if that's the way the Suns go. Most of the Western playoff teams play a Center with 2 SF's, or a tweener Forward and a SF. There are few exceptions to that but our frontcourt would not be that undersized at all, especially after things get shaken up with free agency and the rest of the offseason. If Bridges and Jackson end up being good defenders, that will help things quite a bit. Those both physical players so they shouldn't be giving up much.

Frontcourts for Western Playoff teams that played a C and 2 SF's.

Warriors: Pachulia, Green, Durant (Of course, they're the champs but they played Green, Durant, and Iggy a lot in the playoffs, I don't mind the matchup of Bridges, Jackson, and Ayton against them)

Portland: Nurkic, Aminu, Harkless (Nurkic is a FA, their F's are both SF's)

Houston:
Capella, Mbah A Moute, Ariza (Mbah A Moute is a free agent, they used Tucker in the postseason a lot and they also used Ryan Anderson, I'm not concerned with losing 2 inches in height to Ryan Anderson)

Thunder:
Adams, Melo, PG13 (George is a Free Agent)

Nuggets: Jokic, Millsap, Wilson Chandler (Chandler is a free agent, Jokic & Millsap are staying, Millsap is an undersized PF though)

Clippers: Jordan, Tobias Harris, Wesley Johnson (They got small once they lost Griffin, DeAndre Jordan is a Free Agent also)

Pelicans: Cousins, Davis, E'Twaun Moore (They basically played 2 Center's and 3 guards, Moore, Holiday, and Rondo. Moore is 6'4. Without Cousins they went with Davis & Mirotic in their frontcourt)

Spurs:
Gasol, Aldridge, Kyle Anderson (of course Kawhi would take Anderson's role)

Wolves:
KAT, Taj Gibson, Wiggins (This is the only "traditional starting 5 in terms of positionally, KAT plays on the perimeter though)

Jazz: Gobert, Favors, Ingles (Favors is a Free Agent, so who knows)

Tell me what team will be able to dominate our frontcourt because of size? If Jackson and Bridges play tough, hard defense, we'll be fine.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
^^ Only two stick out to me, the Spurs and Wolves. The Wolves are more likely what teams are building against.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The only reason people think Lonzo is quiet is because he doesn't have the chance to talk because his dad is always standing over his shoulder chirping some BS

If FT shooting was so teachable explain Shaq, Drummond, DeAndre Jordan. Etc. The League has been discussing changing the Hack-A-Shaq rules because guys DONT learn to shoot FT's. That's a problem, a big one. It's not so bad when it's a big but when your playmaker can't make FT's, what good is having him out at the end of games? It's more likely the league changes the Hack-A-Shaq rules than Lonzo learns to shoot Ft's.

Your naming Centers who can't shoot first of all and second of all he just shot .678 from the free throw in college, just one year prior to this season. So a more fair comparison would be Rondo, instead of using all these hack a Shaq Center comparisons of guys who are a different position and couldn't shoot to save their life. Ball just shot almost 70pct, which makes it a completely diffrent story, because that shows he can shoot free throws and had a off rookie year. Again I'll say what is better option then adding Ball by taking Deng in a salary cap dump? Nobody is runnning to Phoenix. Ball is alot better option the Payton. Dragic doesn't fit the youth movement time table, tell me who is a better pass first PG, that is available and fits what this team needs, perfectly minus FT pct and a Loud Mouth Dad?

Ball is on a 4 year rookie, deal with 3 years to go, this team is raw and young, just because the media doesn't like someone's Dad and he has a loud mouth there is no need for everyone to get their panties in a wad over it, he isn't on the Court. Ball just put up rookie numbers that Kidd had Co-rookie of the year with with Grant Hill. At the very least you can pull him late in games, it's not a total deal breaker for him.

Balls dynamic court vision, passing and rebounding is something this to team surely could use and he is young enough he can grow and blossom with this team at the same time and fits the timetable, Lavar Ball doesn't scare me off at all.

A lineup up of Jackson/Bridges/Ayton/Booker/Ball has perfect spacing and would work. Also adding a PG that is big and that can help rebound to an undersized line up is being overlooked, I would says Ball is a perfect for for this team and I don't see a better option out there, that would match the team with his age and skillset better.

Last edited:

High Stakes

Registered
Reaction score
At first I was upset about dishing the Miami Pick, only netting us a 6 spot move up, but in all reality, McD has to cash in his chips if he wants to keep this job, regardless of his extension. McD knows that miami pick wouldn't mean squat to him if he is no longer our GM. Now the more I read about Bridges, I am 100% good with that decision.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Once Lebron is gone the East is truly going to blow, outside of Boston.
Miami is going to be a playoff team. That pick isn't going to be worth squat anyway.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your naming Centers who can't shoot first of all and second of all he just shot .678 from the free throw in college, just one year prior to this season.. So a more fair comparison would be Rondo, instead of all these hack a Shaq Center comparisons. Ball just shot almost 70pct, which makes it a completely diffrent story, because that shows he can shoot free throws and has a off rookie year. Again what is your better option then adding ball by taking Deng in a salary cap dump? Nobody is runnning to Phoenix. Ball is alot better option the Payton. Dragic doesn't fit the youth movement time table, tell me who is a better pass first PG, that is available and fits what this team needs?

BallBis on a 4 year rookie, deal with 3 years to go, this team is raw and young, just because the media doesn't like someone's Dad and he has a loud mouth there is no need for everyone to get your panties in a wad, he isn't on the Court. Ball just put up rookie numbers that Kidd had Co-rookie of the year with. At the very least you can pull him late in games.

Free throws are mental, he just shot almost 70 pct the year before, Drummond and Shaq are Centers that never could ever shoot, so your comparison was awful. A more realistic comparison is Rondo and he has already proven a team can win a ring with a PG that sucks at free throws.

Balls dynamic court vision, passing and rebounding is something this to team surely could use and he is young enough he can grow and blossom with this team at the same time and fits the timetable, Lavar Ball doesn't scare me off at all.

A lineup up of Jackson/Bridges/Ayton/Booker/Ball has perfect spacing and would work. Also adding a PG that is big and that can help rebound to an undersized line up is being overlooked, I would says Ball is a perfecr for for this team.

You say those bigs can't shoot in general and neither can Ball. They can at least put 60% FG numbers by playing inside which is much better than taking bad shots and shooting 35% from the field. He can't shoot, in general. Say it's mental, that's fine, but mentally he's broken. That doesn't help your case. I don't care if he had numbers like Kidd. At least Kidd wasn't a liability at the end of games because he couldn't make a FT. He also wasn't so awful from the field that his defender could sag off completely leaving him wide open.

Ball's dad is a loud mouth which is a problem because he's already made threats about Ball not resigning with his team unless they sign his brothers. Ball won't stand up to his dad when he's on ESPN bashing his teammates and coaches. That's a problem.

He may be capable of doing some things well but that doesn't mean the Suns should bend over backwards to acquire him. I'd rather they play Booker out of position than take a contract like Deng's to be able to disrupt the locker room by inserting Ball. You think Lavar will be ok with Ball being our 3rd or 4th best player? I can't see that happening. It's a recipe for disaster. We should take Ball to help LA get Kawhi and get better though? No thanks.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You say those bigs can't shoot in general and neither can Ball. They can at least put 60% FG numbers by playing inside which is much better than taking bad shots and shooting 35% from the field. He can't shoot, in general. Say it's mental, that's fine, but mentally he's broken. That doesn't help your case. I don't care if he had numbers like Kidd. At least Kidd wasn't a liability at the end of games because he couldn't make a FT. He also wasn't so awful from the field that his defender could sag off completely leaving him wide open.

Ball's dad is a loud mouth which is a problem because he's already made threats about Ball not resigning with his team unless they sign his brothers. Ball won't stand up to his dad when he's on ESPN bashing his teammates and coaches. That's a problem.

He may be capable of doing some things well but that doesn't mean the Suns should bend over backwards to acquire him. I'd rather they play Booker out of position than take a contract like Deng's to be able to disrupt the locker room by inserting Ball. You think Lavar will be ok with Ball being our 3rd or 4th best player? I can't see that happening. It's a recipe for disaster. We should take Ball to help LA get Kawhi and get better though? No thanks.

Compare these stat lines again, one was Co rookie of the year with Grant Hill the other was horrible son of Lavar Ball:

Player A
PPG 11.7 RPG 5.4 AST 7.7 FG% .385 3Pt% .272 STL 1.9 TO 3.2

Player B
PPG 10.2 RPG 6.9 AST 7.2 FG% .360 3PT% .305 STL 1.7 TO 2.6

When you have a shot at landing potentially the next Jason Kidd and have a chance to add him to this team you do it. Deng is becomes an expiring contract after next year and is just cap space to be used for extending these young guys.

Lavar Ball trolls just to get free promotion, it worked for Trump, Tekashi69, Catch me outside girl and the Big Baller brand, people just have a loud mouth now, I can overlook it. If the Suns can add the next Kidd to this already great young roster that needs a PG

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lavar Ball doesn't scare me off at all.
he scares the rest of the league, including, apparently, Lebron. and if Magic, one of the most respected men in NBA history, can't get him to contain his disruptions, he'd eat Suns' management alive

besides, he-who-should-remain-nameless and is not worth further discussion has shown his own signs of off-court immaturity, and that includes letting his daddy run amuck with his career

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...-hawks-but-76ers-process-takes-a-hit/?src=rss
Bridges is arguably the ultimate three-and-D prospect in this draft, which makes a whole lot of sense for a team that, once more, finished in the NBA's worst spot on both ends of the floor. He'll imbue the defense with much more upside while covering up for the mistakes made by Booker and Ayton, and the two-man combination of him and Jackson could be off the charts on the preventing end.

But that three-point ability is also key. If he can provide more spacing for Ayton's interior exploits and Booker's basket attacks, all the better. Giving up a first-rounder to move up for a player of that caliber is a sensible decision.

Basically, Bridges is everything Phoenix needs as it tries to move out of the Western Conference basement. He can space the floor. He can provide sterling defense on a squad that desperately needs that skill. He's even proficient at attacking the basket off the bounce or facilitating for his teammates

i have to give mgmt credit. i would have taken a much higher risk on Porter in the moment. Bridges looks to be exactly what we needed to get out of this draft besides Ayton. and it's what we hoped to get out the Miami pick eventually -- now

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns would do well by bringing in an intelligent, unselfish, veteran PG. He doesn't have to be uber talented or athletic either. Not a clue who's out there though.

This fits the description of Payton.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I heard McDonough today on Doug and Wolf and he stated they contacted Philly after they selected Bridges and asked if they were keeping him. He was rebuffed but he told them to keep the Suns in mind when they were on the clock at #16.

As it was reported, the Sixers liked Zhaire and didn't think he would be there at 16. When he was, the Sixers made a last minute call to the Suns and made the offer.

Good news to hear the Suns liked Bridges so much that they were actively trying to trade up to get him despite him being off the radar with local sports media.

Last edited:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
The potential we would be getting with that pick is what we are getting in Mikal right now. He is a very very good player. Better than Warren. TJ deserves nothing except to compete for minutes.

Yeah I don't get this.

If you told me Bridges, or a random pick 3 years from now I'm taking Bridges 100/100 times. He fits this team perfectly. Potentially elite shooter and defender.

Ayton passing out of a double team to Booker or Bridges? Yes please.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I heard McDonough today on Doug and Wolf and he stated they contacted Philly after they selected Bridges and asked if they were keeping him. He was rebuffed but he told them to keep the Suns in mind when they were on the clock at #16.

As it was reported, the Sixers liked Zhaire and didn't think he would be there at 16. When he was, the Sixers made a last minute call to the Suns and made the offer.

Good news to hear the Suns like Bridges so much that they were actively trying to trade up to get him despite him being off the radar with local sports media.
I thought McD did a good job of putting that whole situation in perspective in terms of the giving up the Miami pick, and also of how the trade went down. I felt he was pretty honest and forthcoming.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When you have a shot at landing potentially the next Jason Kidd and have a chance to add him to this team you do it. Deng is becomes an expiring contract after next year and is just cap space to be used for extending these young guys.

I see the reasoning but don't agree with it. While he's on the books they can spend that money elsewhere and bring in another talent like they plan to do. I don't see Lavar's son as the missing piece. I'd much rather have the extra $20 million available to spend elsewhere than it sitting dead on the bench in the form of Deng's contract. Yes, when it expires it will most likely be replaced by extensions of our young guys but in the meantime that's $20 million less they can spend in this year's offseason and next. That's an issue.

Beyond that, who says that the Lakers are interested? You're pitching this deal like the Lakers are begging us to take these contracts. If Lonzo is so good, why are they willing to give him away? He's supposed to be the next Jason Kidd afterall, why doesn't Magic Johnson see that?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Apparently Philly is saying if Denver didn't take MPJ that this trade wouldn't have happened. I'm fairly certain the reasoning behind that is that if Denver passed on him then he'd fall to the Suns at #16 and they'd select Porter and call it a day. Since Denver took that option away, that's how the trade came about. That makes sense to me but for some reason the Philly fans on Twitter aren't able to connect the dots as far as how Denver selecting MPJ meant that Bridges could be dealt.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I see the reasoning but don't agree with it. While he's on the books they can spend that money elsewhere and bring in another talent like they plan to do. I don't see Lavar's son as the missing piece. I'd much rather have the extra $20 million available to spend elsewhere than it sitting dead on the bench in the form of Deng's contract. Yes, when it expires it will most likely be replaced by extensions of our young guys but in the meantime that's $20 million less they can spend in this year's offseason and next. That's an issue.

Beyond that, who says that the Lakers are interested? You're pitching this deal like the Lakers are begging us to take these contracts. If Lonzo is so good, why are they willing to give him away? He's supposed to be the next Jason Kidd afterall, why doesn't Magic Johnson see that?
Look at the Lakers Cap to add Leonard and James. They don't have the cap to add them, they must move someone to add Leonard and Dengs contract must go. To move Mozgovs horrible contract they packaged Russell with him. Deng becomes a valuable expiring contract next season, look at the Cap the Lakers have, if they add LeBron they won't have the cap to add Leonard so they are packaging Ball with Deng for someone to facilitate the trade

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look at the Lakers Cap to add Leonard and James. They don't have the cap to add them, they must move someone to add Leonard and Dengs contract must go. To move Mozgovs horrible contract they packaged Russell with him. Deng becomes a valuable expiring contract next season, look at the Cap the Lakers have, if they add LeBron they won't have the cap to add Leonard so they are packaging Ball with Deng for someone to facilitate the trade

Expiring contracts don't carry the value they once did. Greg Monroe should have clued some people into that. They couldn't find anything for him and he has more servicable NBA skills than Luol Deng.

Beyond that, they don't need to lose Deng's contract to acquire 2 max players. They can actually bring in Leonard in a trade and afford to sign Lebron and Paul George with Deng's contract still on their books. It will cap them out but it is a possibility. Here is an article that breaks it down.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...whi-leonard-and-still-land-lebron-paul-george

So they don't need to dump Ball to move Deng because they don't NEED to dump Deng.

SunsFanFirst

Veteran
Reaction score
And even they did need to dump Deng why would we ever want to help them so they can bring in Lebron and Kawhi?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Expiring contracts don't carry the value they once did. Greg Monroe should have clued some people into that. They couldn't find anything for him and he has more servicable NBA skills than Luol Deng.

Beyond that, they don't need to lose Deng's contract to acquire 2 max players. They can actually bring in Leonard in a trade and afford to sign Lebron and Paul George with Deng's contract still on their books. It will cap them out but it is a possibility. Here is an article that breaks it down.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...whi-leonard-and-still-land-lebron-paul-george

So they don't need to dump Ball to move Deng because they don't NEED to dump Deng.
Then how in the heck could the bring in Kawhi in trade? They don't have the assets to do it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad the Suns contract situation is looking good. Even Knight's contract does not look so formidable and the contracts of Chandler and Dudley expire after this coming season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard