Week 2 2022: Heroes and Goats

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's settled law here at H&G that the outcome of a game decided by 7 points or fewer is essentially random. Because of this, over the long term the results will regress toward a mean of around .500. How random was the result of this game? To force overtime, the Cards needed to...
...Convert a 4th and 4...
...Convert a 2-point conversion...
...Convert three additional fourth downs on the ensuing drive...
...Convert a second two point conversion...
...All within the last 8:30 of the fourth quarter!

The result is certainly exciting, and you'd rather come out on the winning side of this equation than the losing side, but it doesn't tell us anything. I generally try and stay away from The Discourse post-game because people get mad, but people that are super-amped about this outcome are engaging in Loser Talk. Lions fans are excited about close wins against second- or third-tier opponents. We should be just as nervous about the result of this game as we were against Kansas City.

Heroes

Vance Joseph, Defensive Coordinator.
Here's Vegas' second-half drive chart:
You must be registered for see images attach

That's 4.75 yards per play. Pretty impressive halftime adjustments for your boy.

Zach Allen, Defensive End. Allen is a surprisingly controversial figure on this board, but he is the leader of the defensive line unit that held Los Angeles Oakland Las Vegas to 3.8 YPC for the game and 2.67 YPC after the halftime break.

Greg Dortch, Wide Receiver. 4/4 receiving with 55 yards and a TD. It's wild to think that our most consistent offensive player right now is a 24 year-old undrafted free agent on his fifth team.

Goats

A.J. Green, Wide Receiver.
MY GUY. Three receptions for sixteen yards on seven targets. I get that you're an old dude, but you have to fill the Larry Fitzgerald Third Down Chain-mover role better than this.

Zeke Turner, ILB. MY DUDE. You played one snap with the defense and it was an embarrassing coverage error.

Kyler Murray, Quarterback. Greatness is the consistent exhibition of excellence. Great players don't have to come back from 20-0. Great players don't go punt-punt-pick-punt in their first four possessions. Kyler's inability to show up and play well puts the Cards in a consistent hole that they have to struggle out of. Look how wide open this dude is three seconds into the first 2-point conversion:

You must be registered for see images attach

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Skip K9 with the hot take on Kyler. Even if your overall take still has merit.

Kyler, Vance and Byron are the heroes.

On your “look how wide open this dude is” take, there’s a big difference about being wide open with the ball in the QBs hands and when it gets there. I see two defenders who could easily collapse on the ball if you don’t throw it hard in the back corner of the end zone.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
How is Nick Vigil not on the GOAT list. Does anyone here know why he is on the team AND freaking playing? The dude got a 27.3 PFF rating.
I actually considered it but it turns out he was only on the field for 39% of the snaps. I wonder if he got shown the bench in the second half and that was a major adjustment. He looked very sorry indeed out there early.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why does your HC have to call it instead of the QB?
What do you blame KK on?

I actually like Kliff to a certain point, but it seems you have been going out of your way to blame Kyler & not Kliff when both deserve an equal amount of blame, maybe even Kliff more so.

Kyler isn’t the only one of the duo that got a big extension.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice job K9 but K1 has to be a Hero and a Goat in this one.

Agreed goat first half hero 2nd half.

The Raiders guys on the 2 point conversion they discussed that exact thing there's actually 2 guys in that shot that appear just as open I think the guy in the middle he's looking at is AJ, in the right corner not sure possibly Dortch as I think the guy in front of him is Brown. And I think ertz is sitting down at the goalline with Chandler Jones the closest guy on one side and another guy on the other. The raiders TV guys said they think Kyler's progression was short guy Ertz, middle guy Green, then Brown then the guy in the corner that Twitter thinks he should be throwing to. You can argue all of them but Brown are open in that shot but to get it in to Ertz he has to positively gun it. To get it AJ he has to throw over the guy near Ertz and between 2 defenders so hard enough to split two but with touch over the guy up closer.

So the easiest throw is indeed the one you want him to throw to but he hasn't gotten that far in his progression yet and by the time he did, the guy isn't as open.

I would add part of why Dortch(?) is so open is they clearly think the same thing he's going to Ertz or Green in the middle so they're all looking that way.

I will say this given how important that play was to us winning I'm happy he didn't force it middle since he didn't see the guy on the right. It MIGHT have worked middle but he wound up making it work

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Heroes
Pugh-has been an underrated player for Big Red

Hump-didnt hear a peep from Chandler

Zaven-his best game as a Card. Keep the green dot on his helmet

Dortch-most reliable WR we have

Kyler-was balling & put team on his back in the 4th qtr

Murph-solid day & scored game winner. Held Adams to 2 catches

Simmons-held his head up & made a few critical plays down the stretch

Eno/Williams duo-performed well in run & passing games once Conner got hurt

Goats
Kliff-come on coach bro, get your personnel during substitutions in on time along with the play call. Jeez it’s like a broken record

AJ-put some stick em on those gloves lol

Fotu-this guy needs to be off this roster ASAP. Mr Invisible every week

football karma

Reaction score
hero: Byron Murphy. holding Davante Adams to 2/12 is good work.

Would like to see all-22, because maybe that was a whole secondary thing -- which resulted in Mack Hollins and Darren Waller being open all day

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is Vance a hero for his second half performance, and Kyler is a goat for his first half one? Hypocrisy at his finest. The Cards allowed points on like what, 12 straight drives going back to the Chiefs game?

football karma

Reaction score
hero: Byron Murphy. holding Davante Adams to 2/12 is good work.

Would like to see all-22, because maybe that was a whole secondary thing -- which resulted in Mack Hollins and Darren Waller being open all day
the internet delivers:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
the internet delivers:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Murphy was definitely a HERO. Great coverage and the winning play made.

Murphy and Allen are two players that are frequent targets on this board, who are actually pretty good players. When they leave, we will miss them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose