Week 18 Playoff Scenarios

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Titans are gonna end up with the #1 seed and likely have Derrick Henry back for the playoffs. Crazy.
that is wild.. crazy soft schedule second half of the year esp playing in easiest division (get to play both Texans and Jax twice)…but regardless impressive. Thought for sure that game vs the Phins would have been closer yesterday.

Very well coached team they are

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that is wild.. crazy soft schedule second half of the year esp playing in easiest division (get to play both Texans and Jax twice)…but regardless impressive. Thought for sure that game vs the Phins would have been closer yesterday.

Very well coached team they are
The crazy thing is they have been without Henry and rushed for more yards then with him.

They have slogged along into the #1. They were without AJ Brown for a nice chunk while Henry was out too. Julio had missed a ton. Still gonna end up #1. SMH

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The crazy thing is they have been without Henry and rushed for more yards then with him.

They have slogged along into the #1. They were without AJ Brown for a nice chunk while Henry was out too. Julio had missed a ton. Still gonna end up #1. SMH

Crazier thing...we whooped their butt when they were at full strength at their house. #1 seed in the AFC.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the more desperate team (SF) should be highly motivated to win
In all my years of watching the NFL, I am convinced that the team that's "more desperate", "needs it more", "wants it more", "wants revenge", or has any other supposedly motivating factors, is absolutely no more likely to win than without those factors. And teams that are "playing out the string", "hoping for a higher draft pick", etc. are no more likely to lose.

On any day any team can beat any other team, but for the most part it comes down to available talent, coaching, and preparation. Weird, but true in my observation.

...dave

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In all my years of watching the NFL, I am convinced that the team that's "more desperate", "needs it more", "wants it more", "wants revenge", or has any other supposedly motivating factors, is absolutely no more likely to win than without those factors. And teams that are "playing out the string", "hoping for a higher draft pick", etc. are no more likely to lose.

On any day any team can beat any other team, but for the most part it comes down to available talent, coaching, and preparation. Weird, but true in my observation.

...dave
Good point daves. There’s no for sure. Hence my *should* be motivated. That said, if the Niners lose I’ll hate them more (for not assisting AZ) AND be glad they don’t qualify for the postseason. A true win-win (even if it means no division title for the Cards)! :)

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Don’t see how they could it would be within the rules technically
People seem to forget the NFL is entertainment. There is nothing stopping them if they want to tip the direction in a team's favor. There will never be proof. Not like people will stop watching and people will just argue back and forth. This sport is all about money and ratings.

Edit: In regards to the Raiders/Bolts, I hope it happens and they kneel. It is the smartest thing if it works out. Yeah you want to win cause that improves your chance of advancing, etc 99.999% of the time...but this one time you can 100% guarantee a spot in the playoffs (and essentially a bye week), do it. NFL scheduled (flexed it no less) it so it could happen, so it would directly be their fault. Raiders should do it as a F You to NFL after Gruden.

Colts haven't won in Jax since 2014, but I think they win anyway.

I think fans of everyone not Colts would mostly cheer for this, would go down in history.

Last edited:

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

...dave
Why do I see Cardinals fit in both categories? That can't be true, can it? No for a well-managed team, but yes for the Cardinals.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eagles are going 1 & done. They can’t pass.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I honestly believe that in the NFC, any of the 7 teams could advance to the SB. Yes, GB & TB are very good teams, but they both have their issues & can be beaten.
GB - struggling to stop the run. Cleveland ran for 220 just 2 weeks ago & would have won easily if not for Baker throwing 4 picks. Special teams are below average also. Physical teams like SF & PHI could cause problems for them. GB may be the best all around team in the NFC, but they do have imperfections, and they can be had. Even in the frozen tundra.
TB - their passing game statistically is the best in the NFL, but their WR corp has taken a hit the past couple weeks. Their secondary is still very shaky. Also, very difficult to repeat.
LAR - If teams are persistent, the Rams can be run on. Exactly why they've lost 5 straight to the Niners. If you can somewhat limit the damage that Donald creates, their secondary outside of Ramsey is very vulnerable. Stafford has tendency to turn the ball over & no one really knows how he'll perform in a playoff environment.
DAL - maybe the most overrated team in the NFC playoffs. Played a very easy schedule & their running game has been invisible for most of the 2nd half of the season. Can DAK be trusted? NO. Can McCarthy be trusted? Hell no. the only certainty is that the zebras will do everything possible to see them advance.
AZ - if healthy, I think we're the best team in the NFC. But, we're not healthy. I wouldn't be surprised if we went out early, and yet, I wouldn't be surprised if we went pretty far.
PHI - runs the hell out of the ball. Very physical team that never stops playing HARD. No one wants to play this team. Biggest question mark........Is Hurts legitimate.
SF (if they get in) - playoff savvy HC & roster. Plays physical & can dictate a game. Is Garoppolo available for the playoffs? And even if he is, what Jimmy G do we see? If no Jimmy, can Lance lead this team to multiple wins in the playoffs? I would say no.
NEW ORLEANS - D can be stifling, but their Offense is appalling. They could sneak in, but I see them as the only team NOT capable of making noise in the playoffs.