Week 10 2022: Heroes and Goats

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
My family scheduled a 4 pm MST happy hour. When I told them the Cards game would still be on during that time, the organizer replied "Well, maybe, but based on the way they've been playing, it'll probably be over by then."

When my 13 year old son came downstairs as the game was starting, he said, "Oh no. Not this," and then walked back upstairs.

Cardinals football 2022 -- Something something bird city. This was the kind of game that the fanbase should be excited for -- an opportunity to kick a division rival while they're down, in their house, and potentially kick-start a rise from the ashes in the second half of the season. Instead, it felt like a bad joke, where much of the marquee talent on the roster decided to take the day off.

If the Cards do rally and make a run at the playoffs, this game where both teams seemed to be sleepwalking is going to count just as much as any other.

You must be registered for see images attach
Colt McCoy, QB - A workmanlike performance that will be good enough to win against a lot of bad teams. What's valuable is that in 10 real drive the Cards only had three three-and-outs, and only one in the second half. That helps create a rhythm on the offense.

Rondale Moore, WR - Of Rondale Moore's 12 targets, 11 of them were charted as "short." As much as people complain about Kliff's Horizontal Spread scheme, this short passing game can be effective if the ball is placed in a way that allows the receiver to move immediately.

Budda Baker, S - Baker has been an absolute star on the field and off. He found a way to not only play in the face of what must be an extremely painful ankle injury, but to excel.

James Conner, RB - I don't really blame Conner for signing a big contract extension this season, but he's playing below replacement-level when he's not injured. There are a lot of minimum-salary guys who can get less than 4 YPC and convert in short yardage.

Antonio Hamilton, CB - It's safe to say that when you're targeted often enough to get 10 solo tackles and two passes defensed that there's something on film that teams are looking to take advantage of. Hamilton and Vance Joseph are going to have to button this up.

Trey McBride, TE - Russ Smith's favorite offensive player stepped in it again. Played 91% of the snaps after Ertz went down and fumbled in his one (official) target. He had another 10-yard reception erased by a penalty.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My family scheduled a 4 pm MST happy hour. When I told them the Cards game would still be on during that time, the organizer replied "Well, maybe, but based on the way they've been playing, it'll probably be over by then."

When my 13 year old son came downstairs as the game was starting, he said, "Oh no. Not this," and then walked back upstairs.

Cardinals football 2022 -- Something something bird city. This was the kind of game that the fanbase should be excited for -- an opportunity to kick a division rival while they're down, in their house, and potentially kick-start a rise from the ashes in the second half of the season. Instead, it felt like a bad joke, where much of the marquee talent on the roster decided to take the day off.

If the Cards do rally and make a run at the playoffs, this game where both teams seemed to be sleepwalking is going to count just as much as any other.

Colt McCoy, QB - A workmanlike performance that will be good enough to win against a lot of bad teams. What's valuable is that in 10 real drive the Cards only had three three-and-outs, and only one in the second half. That helps create a rhythm on the offense.

Rondale Moore, WR - Of Rondale Moore's 12 targets, 11 of them were charted as "short." As much as people complain about Kliff's Horizontal Spread scheme, this short passing game can be effective if the ball is placed in a way that allows the receiver to move immediately.

Budda Baker, S - Baker has been an absolute star on the field and off. He found a way to not only play in the face of what must be an extremely painful ankle injury, but to excel.

James Conner, RB - I don't really blame Conner for signing a big contract extension this season, but he's playing below replacement-level when he's not injured. There are a lot of minimum-salary guys who can get less than 4 YPC and convert in short yardage.

Antonio Hamilton, CB - It's safe to say that when you're targeted often enough to get 10 solo tackles and two passes defensed that there's something on film that teams are looking to take advantage of. Hamilton and Vance Joseph are going to have to button this up.

Trey McBride, TE - Russ Smith's favorite offensive player stepped in it again. Played 91% of the snaps after Ertz went down and fumbled in his one (official) target. He had another 10-yard reception erased by a penalty.

Hamilton was one of the best players on D. Had a career high PFF grade of 90.1. Allowed only 22 yards on 9 targets.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
LOL PFF grades.
Not going to pull out PFF grades, but you are hella wrong on Hamilton here.

He was a hero in this game. Dude shutdown Cooper Kupp.

Sanders also had a really good game. He had a sack, forced fumble, and got quite a few pressures. Granted it's against a ton of backups, but you expect your day two rookies to play well against scrubs and he did.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Hamilton and Conner Goats? Hardly think so. McBride recovered his own fumble. No harm there. Anderson drop was bad. Fotu is always bad. Can’t think of much else.
My problem with Fotu is you see him get legit push, but then you see backs run right by him. He's too slow to recognize the ball carrier and go after him. If he can get better at this one football task, he'd be a solid player.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Everyone on GMF are talking about the Jefferson catch against the Bills, the catch by Rondale is a true one handed catch imo. If you watch the replay of the Jefferson catch in slow motion, the CB #39 has a hand on each end of the football, securing it for him as they fall to the ground. Jefferson kept one hand in the middle of the ball & took control of the ball as they hit the ground. Looks like to me had the CB not been holding the ball Jefferson would've dropped it. Rondale controlled it with one hand then pulled it in.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i agree on Conner.

one aspect of this team that holds the offense back is that their running backs rarely seem to produce more than what is blocked.

I watch other teams and the backs have a burst that the Cards lack. It looked like Connor was running in sand for the first half.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hamilton had the benefit of playing against John Skelton. Hardly a challenge or anyone else on defense. Only Hero I would give on defense is Myjai & that’s mainly because he’s a rookie.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i agree on Conner.

one aspect of this team that holds the offense back is that their running backs rarely seem to produce more than what is blocked.

I watch other teams and the backs have a burst that the Cards lack. It looked like Connor was running in sand for the first half.
There was a play that went for about 8–10 yards I believe, but with any other RB that doesn’t have bricks for feet, it would have gone for much more & maybe even a TD. Didn’t matter because there was a penalty, but still, dude should not be the primary ball carrier at all.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hamilton had the benefit of playing against John Skelton. Hardly a challenge or anyone else on defense. Only Hero I would give on defense is Myjai & that’s mainly because he’s a rookie.
I’m hesitant to give too much credit even to Myjai. The Rams o-line has been ATROCIOUS all season.

Need to see it more. But part of being a good player is taking advantage of playing bad opponents. He did that, so props there. I just want to see more.

football karma

Reaction score
There was a play that went for about 8–10 yards I believe, but with any other RB that doesn’t have bricks for feet, it would have gone for much more & maybe even a TD. Didn’t matter because there was a penalty, but still, dude should not be the primary ball carrier at all.
this may not be Connors fault: he is a long strider who needs space to get going. With the Steelers, he could line up 7 yards deep and build up speed. With the Cards nearly always in shotgun, its a much shorter run way for him

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I’m hesitant to give too much credit even to Myjai. The Rams o-line has been ATROCIOUS all season.

Need to see it more. But part of being a good player is taking advantage of playing bad opponents. He did that, so props there. I just want to see more.
Probably 60% of Chandler Jones' career sacks came against bad tackles. To be a Pro Bowl player, you have to routinely beat bad to average players.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i agree on Conner.

I also agree on Connor. He is not cutting it. He is really only suitable for short yardage.

At least Eno has some moves in space. I would prefer him getting the majority of the carries.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah I agree on Conners too. I was complaining about how slow he is until he made the TD run where I swore I never saw him move that fast.

We really don't have a back that can make you miss. Eno a little bit. Maybe Ingram. I'd like to see more of him.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He was a hero in this game. Dude shutdown Cooper Kupp.
Wolford shut down Kupp more than anyone. There is no way in the world that a top 3 receiver in the NFL should end up with negative yardage.

I would say the O-line were heroes yesterday. The Rams D-line appears to be Donald and a bunch of disinterested JAGs at this point, but the line still did a great job in pass pro for missing 80% of their starters.

I would also add JJ Watt to the heroes, despite the back-to-back killer penalties. He should have had a defensive TD if the refs weren't lame, and somehow he has more sacks now that Donald, which nobody would have guessed preseason.

Overall, a very forgettable game, but a win is a win.

football karma

Reaction score
I also agree on Connor. He is not cutting it. He is really only suitable for short yardage.

At least Eno has some moves in space. I would prefer him getting the majority of the carries.
im not sure Eno is much better

i have seen too many runs where he gets into the second level and cuts right into the pursuit. Also has a bad habit of turning his back to the LOS

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose