We Traded For a CB - Trayvon Mullen

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah sorry. Murphy’s stats — especially playing primarily out of the slot where teams are much more efficient — are more impressive to me.

Murphy wouldn’t get a second-round pick back today if you tried to trade him, but you’d get more than the pile of used practice jerseys we gave up for Mullins.

Of course they are. (eye roll)

Murphy's stats covering primarily WR3's, WR4's and TE's are more impressive than Mullen covering 1's and 2's...

The very reason teams are more efficient in the slot is because the CBs are worse.

Per FO,

"Getting a talented wideout lined up against a third or fourth corner is usually an advantage for the offense, and working out of the middle of the field also gives them more potential options for route running. Add in the ever-increasing amount of nickel defense opening space in the middle of the field, and it appears lining up in the slot is a small but persistent benefit for receivers. It's not a huge gap, and the size varies from year to year, but it's consistently there."

FO say the advantage is small. Yet Mullens stats are far better in yardage and comp %.

I take it back. Mullen isn't Murphy. He's better.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Of course they are. (eye roll)

Murphy's stats covering primarily WR3's, WR4's and TE's are more impressive than Mullen covering 1's and 2's...

The very reason teams are more efficient in the slot is because the CBs are worse.

Per FO,

"Getting a talented wideout lined up against a third or fourth corner is usually an advantage for the offense, and working out of the middle of the field also gives them more potential options for route running. Add in the ever-increasing amount of nickel defense opening space in the middle of the field, and it appears lining up in the slot is a small but persistent benefit for receivers. It's not a huge gap, and the size varies from year to year, but it's consistently there."

FO say the advantage is small. Yet Mullens stats are far better in yardage and comp %.

I take it back. Mullen isn't Murphy. He's better.
Lol. Most of the top receivers in the game spent significant time, if not the majority of their time, in the slot.

You’re a clown, bro.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Lol. Most of the top receivers in the game spent significant time, if not the majority of their time, in the slot.

You’re a clown, bro.
So when people on this board downgrade Murphy because he "only plays in the slot", they are effectively full of manure?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So when people on this board downgrade Murphy because he "only plays in the slot", they are effectively full of manure?
This feels like a trap — BUT

I think that elite outside corners are more valuable than elite slot corners. I think that Murphy is more effective in the slot than he is outside, and it’s good that he can do both at a league-average-or-better level.

I love Murphy as a #2 corner but have a hard time imagining him as a top corner on an elite defense.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Better than what we had but not really good. Another player whose success is based upon staying healthy despite an iffy history. Cost was fine. Better than most waiver guys IMO. My guess is we will put a claim in on Gowan who the Eagles cut.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better than what we had but not really good. Another player whose success is based upon staying healthy despite an iffy history. Cost was fine. Better than most waiver guys IMO. My guess is we will put a claim in on Gowan who the Eagles cut.

the thing with him is it was apparently the same injury, the foot, which suggests he came back too quickly. Foot injuries are one of those things as long as he's not the NFL's Bill Walton you might be fine. But foot injuries are tough to heal it's quite common for guys to come back too quick and hurt it again.

He's better than what we have that's all I can say. I mean we were looking seriously like we were going to have to put Simmons or Budda at CB at times.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
7th upgradeable to 6th is paltry for a CB who can get on the field.
Plus he played at Clemson with Simmons & he's gonna be the one getting the defensive calls. Might not mean anything but players that know one another communicate one would think? Just hope he's healthy? Keim keeps bringing in guys with injury histories which scares me. Let's hope it works out?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why is everyone so down on Wilson? He was a rookie that played well until exposed then everyone followed the trend. It’s up to him to bounce back. I see glimpses of improvement. Typically, he has good coverage but can’t seem to break up the pass. His next improvement is to reduce completion % against him.
I thought we would see improvement from him in year 2? So far with him playing against backups in pre season games he's looked terrible. We'll need something from him this season, I hope he figures it out? His career at Florida was so up & down, same as his NFL career to this point.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I thought we would see improvement from him in year 2? So far with him playing against backups in pre season games he's looked terrible. We'll need something from him this season, I hope he figures it out? His career at Florida was so up & down, same as his NFL career to this point.
I actually have faith in Marco Wilson because I have also seen him play well and he meets all the measurables for the position... don't start throwing shoes at him just yet lol

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
the thing with him is it was apparently the same injury, the foot, which suggests he came back too quickly. Foot injuries are one of those things as long as he's not the NFL's Bill Walton you might be fine. But foot injuries are tough to heal it's quite common for guys to come back too quick and hurt it again.

He's better than what we have that's all I can say. I mean we were looking seriously like we were going to have to put Simmons or Budda at CB at times.
I think that Mullen can be our second best CB but I think it says more about the other CBS than him.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He was considered the Raiders best CB when healthy. I guess their medical staff think his chronic foot injuries make him not worth a roster spot.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
He was considered the Raiders best CB when healthy. I guess their medical staff think his chronic foot injuries make him not worth a roster spot.
But the Raider organization tends to have their foot so far up their arse, what could they identify to make any accurate deduction concerning feet?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn