We Traded For a CB - Trayvon Mullen

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That does seem to be what the evidence suggests. Top 5 DVOA vs #1 and #2 WRs but bad against other receivers (25th), TEs (30th), and running backs (30th).
I don't have an FO subscription, but this jibes with the fantasy "position vs. defense" stats for my league: Cards are 27th vs. QBs, 21st vs. RBs, 12th vs. WRs, and 32nd vs. TEs.

Oddly... last season, the Cards were 17th vs. QBs, 3rd vs. RBs, 31st vs. WRs, and 3rd vs. TEs!

In 2020, they were 18th vs. QBs, 19th vs. RBs, 16th vs. WRs, and 4th vs. TEs.

So after two strong years vs. TEs, they fell off a cliff. They had a surprisingly good defense vs. RBs last year, sandwiched between two average years. On the other hand, they had a horrible year vs. WRs last year, sandwiched between two average years. What a bizarre lack of consistency!

...dave

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I don't have an FO subscription, but this jibes with the fantasy "position vs. defense" stats for my league: Cards are 27th vs. QBs, 21st vs. RBs, 12th vs. WRs, and 32nd vs. TEs.

Oddly... last season, the Cards were 17th vs. QBs, 3rd vs. RBs, 31st vs. WRs, and 3rd vs. TEs!

So after two strong years vs. TEs, they fell off a cliff. They had a surprisingly good defense vs. RBs last year, sandwiched between two average years. On the other hand, they had a horrible year vs. WRs last year, sandwiched between two average years. What a bizarre lack of consistency!

...dave

the thing about the TEs is kind of like Murray going from 1st to dead last on deep throws. It defies any kind of logic. Sure, there can be a sharp drop. From 3rd to 20th or maybe even 25th. But from 3rd to dead last? With basically the same group for the front seven and safeties? It doesn't make any sense. It's like there's something really weird going on.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

...dave
maybe Joseph's scheme and/or our roster is only good enough solve one issue at a time, not all of them at same time.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, the fireable offense was going into the season with the CB depth chart what it was so that it required the dumb and desperate trade in the first place.

It was neither dumb, nor desperate.

A top 40 pick became available for a 7th. We took it. Any GM should.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s funny how Brit can point out how Keim and Kliff should be fired, we have a poor defense, bad running game, and decimated OL (not to mention off the field issues) yet still say Kyler single-handedly tanked the season.

Textbook Kyler Derangement Syndrome.

Lots of other teams have holes. Their QB's make up for them.

And it's a game of balance. Kyler being poor on offense puts pressure on other areas of the game. It gives other teams TOP and shorter fields. Gases the defense. It throws off game plans. Makes things that would be minor issues into major issues.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am fine with the trade. It was that Keim has to cut him to avoid giving up a 6th rounder rubs me in the wrong way. Why not just keep him, let him recover from the injury, practice, and see what he has in him when healthy. He still can play one more game before the 6th rounder won't be triggered.

I'm guessing the decided they were not going to extend him so they are giving him a chance now to latch on to another team.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again, I don’t trust coverage stats. Obviously safeties are going to have worse coverage stats because they’re the last line of defense. Look at Monday night: that big TE catch was probably allowed by Simmons but likely credited to the safety because he was closer or something.

What’s more likely: Mullens was actually better than Byron Murphy and Vance just loves to lose or there’s noise in the stats that doesn’t make them reliable?

I literally said there's probably noise in the stats that doesn't make them reliable.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm guessing the decided they were not going to extend him so they are giving him a chance now to latch on to another team.
Given how long Mullen has been nursing the injury, I personally believe it was too soon to make such a decision.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Uh, they cut him because he stunk, and so as not to have to pay a higher draft pick in compensation.

Well yeah, that was implied in "they decided they weren't going to extend him".

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Interesting, why did they let him fall all the way to the 7th? Were everyone they drafted that year graddd higher on their board?
I would guess either because they had guys rated higher still on their board that late or decided for a similarly graded player at a greater position of need (if need didn't factor into their ratings already). I think most teams only prepare a Top ~120 board despite their being over twice that many picks, because they never get to all 120 of those players actually being selected based on the variability among teams in their ratings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson