We Need More Capspace

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
I did a salary cap spreadsheet (see salary cap thread) of my own and came up with 2.8 million left available (Wells contract numbers are estimates). Who do you guys expect to get cut and restructured?

I don't see anyway we can let Davis' contract stay where it is this year? We should extend him through 2010. I think 10 million signing bonus and 3 million salary this year would get it done and save about 4 million in cap space.

I also see Shipp (1,425,000 savings), Hodgins (1,000,000 savings), Griffith (1,175,000 savings), and Wakefield (750,000 savings) are all very real cut possibilities.

ThunderCard

Reaction score
I tried bring up the same thing a few days after we signed James and really nobody wanted those guys cut. I think Wakefield was the exception

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
Go

theres plenty of guys we could cut/release shipp and wakefiled would be on my list of cuts. Id keep griffeth and hodgins, we have NO depth at either S position and griffeth could act as a backup ss as well as possibly having to start at fs. Hodgins is a very good run blocker when healthy (thats not often though). the biggest thing would be extending davis' contract that alone could free up around 5 mil for next year. If we extend davis and account for the cuts and current cap space I think we could be in the 10 mil range for available cap room.
________
Vaporizer Guide

Last edited:

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
Shipp is probably a gonner. Giving all that upfront money to James was probably overkill but it worked. Then being forced to pay upfront money to Wells which was not in the plan really ate up cap space.

I just don't see them extending L.Davis until after the season is half way thru. I don't think the Cards want to payout another $10M in bonus to free up some cap space. With that "new" cap space, they would have to shell out even another bonus.

I think the Cards have their 2.8M left and that's it.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
There is no one that needs to be cut or restructured as of right now. There are no FA's good enough to spend enough money on to make cuts a viable option. And we still have money to sign the Depth and Role Players of the World such as the Huffs last year, Keith Adams we are looking at, and so on.

OP
OP
HookemCards

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
ThunderCard said:
I tried bring up the same thing a few days after we signed James and really nobody wanted those guys cut. I think Wakefield was the exception

Griffith would be the only one i'd be somewhat against as we don't have a replacement for him as of now. Hodgins is debateable as he's been kept on IR for 2 years or so, why keep him all that time and release him now that he is healthy. Shipp is gone IMHO, just too much money for his production. If we wants to come back for the league min, i'd consider it.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
We most likely need to wait and see what positions we draft and any other free-agency signings. I would like to have seen Davis' contract restructured but if has not been done by now I don't see it happening. I am almost positive Wakefield will not be on the team. Unless we sign another starting safety Griffith will have to stay. I would tend to agree that Shipp is most likely gone. However, he does provide some depth at the RB position.

Cutting these players may not provide a lot of cap space because another player takes their spot on the 53 man roster. If Wakefield is cut and replaced with another veteran on the 53 man roster the cap savings may be small.

Bobcat

Reaction score
ThunderCard said:

I agree but also add Griffith to not getting cut. It is hard to find DB's in this league. Just look what happened to NE last year. Had 10 lost 5 to injury.

Bobcat