Watching the Twins succeed from afar.....

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not saying we won't have a shot, but I think it's going to be difficult to go into next season with even the level of depth we have now... and Paul and Durant will be a year older.

Jones is going to have to find some real gems while only having the MLE and minimum contracts to work with.
I tend to agree, this year is our best chance.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We gave up one of the most lucrative trade packages ever... for a 34 year old who has struggled to stay healthy and who was injured at the time of the trade (hurts my brain just to think about).

Destination or not, there is no way anyone was going to sniff what we gave up.

We really need to win the title this year, it ain't going to get easier after this.

Stop it. Yes Bridges has sky rocketed but as long as Monty was here he was never gonna be what he is now. I get same feeling your gonna see Ayton explode after he gets away from Monty

I love Cam but that dude was never healthy himself and Crowder isn’t anything special.

Bridges on his best day still isn’t KD

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stop it. Yes Bridges has sky rocketed but as long as Monty was here he was never gonna be what he is now. I get same feeling your gonna see Ayton explode after he gets away from Monty

I love Cam but that dude was never healthy himself and Crowder isn’t anything special.

Bridges on his best day still isn’t KD

Bridges was already showing the signs, his averages his last 15 games here were only a few points under what he is doing in Brooklyn.

And nothing of that changes that KD is 34 and that KD is oft injured. He makes Cam Johnson look durable.

Along with 4 totally unprotected picks and a pick swap. 3 of those will convey when Durant is likely to be retired.

They were not getting anything close to what we gave them from another team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah basically.

I wouldn't have done the deal before, and today I really wouldn't do the deal.

But it is what it is.

I wouldn't have done the trade then or now. The Suns gave up too much for Kevin Durant. The backbreaker was including Mikal Bridges.

Still, life goes on and I hope it all works out with the Suns winning a championship.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can’t do this anymore

I give up. Bridges is way better than KD what was I ever thinking

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t do this anymore

Finally a convert. Yes Bridges is way better than KD, that's exactly what we've all been saying. He's also taller too. And Mikal is a way cooler first name than Kevin.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Trades been done..lets focus on us.. whatever path/stardom the twins may have may possibly never happened if they were here.. we are arguing about a what could have should have.. things we will never know.. we will never know what would happen if we didn't make the trade but what we will know is if KD works out here..

We over paid.. we under paid.. it was fair.. lets just enjoy what we have..

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t do this anymore

The discussion is not about who is better, Durant or Bridges.

It's about the Suns mortgaging their present and future to trade for Durant.

Almost every Suns fan I know wanted to trade for Durant if the price was right. However, it wasn't. The Suns gave the Nets everything they wanted.

The Suns traded away four starters and rotation players in Crowder, Saric, Bridges and Cam Johnson; four first round picks and a swap; and the financial flexibility to improve the team going forward thanks to the new CBA.

Bazley, Warren and Ross do not make me feel better about the situation.

The Suns don't even have a first round pick to use in a trade.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just a reminder Suns are undefeated with KD just saying.
I make the same trade every damn day of the week

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Almost every Suns fan I know wanted to trade for Durant if the price was right.
But your “price” was a non-starter. you wanted the Nets to trade us KD for what you wanted… which amounted to a bucket of piss. That was NEVER happening.
However, it wasn't. The Suns gave the Nets everything they wanted.

The Suns traded away four starters and rotation players in Crowder, Saric, Bridges and Cam Johnson; four first round picks and a swap; and the financial flexibility to improve the team going forward thanks to the new CBA.

Totally specious argument.

Dario was a) not part of the trade and b) really not part of the rotation.

Jae Crowder was not part of the rotation and we or he had tanked his value by sitting him out. He was in the deal to match salaries and because he was an expiring.

And now you’re also throwing in the new CBA as reason to hate the deal even though it didn’t exist at the time the deal was made.

There’s honest ways to discuss the trade and then there’s just throwing blatant falsehoods into your position which renders legitimate debate pointless.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Almost every Suns fan I know wanted to trade for Durant if the price was right. However, it wasn't. The Suns gave the Nets everything they wanted.

4 starters huh

Oh ok

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Bridges was the centerpiece of the trade. There’s no point discussing the deal if he wasn’t in it. If the Suns overpaid it was by one pick or one of Crowder/Cam.

Jaylen Brown has sounded unhappy in recent weeks and you can bet they would’ve offered him if the deadline was today and KD was still a Net. This summer I think the Pelicans would’ve beat our offer because they’re desperate and have the assets.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Bridges was the centerpiece of the trade. There’s no point discussing the deal if he wasn’t in it. If the Suns overpaid it was by one pick or one of Crowder/Cam.

Jaylen Brown has sounded unhappy in recent weeks and you can bet they would’ve offered him if the deadline was today and KD was still a Net. This summer I think the Pelicans would’ve beat our offer because they’re desperate and have the assets.
Yeah, some folks seem to neglect that the demand (and resulting cost) for Durant would undoubtedly have increased in the offseason, not decreased.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, some folks seem to neglect that the demand (and resulting cost) for Durant would undoubtedly have increased in the offseason, not decreased.
It's not that we "neglect" anything, it's that we see it differently. I'm convinced he was going to be moved by the deadline no matter what because his value was only going to go down. But none of us really know, we just have our opinions.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Point is KD at 34 is still miles better than Bridges and makes us a contender NOW! Not in the future if he even developed into a running mate for Book, not like he didn’t have opportunities and did NOT step up especially in the playoffs. KD’s game is NOT based of if athleticism it’s just pure shooting and he can continue doin great for many years if he can stay healthy. Even with that risk I make the trade period as the squad we had wasn’t gonna get it done they had their chances and failed! Tell me that game 7 with Dallas happens with KD on the roster!!!!!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Beating the dead horse again... but there is no reason to think that is the case.

He was on the market last year, we could have had him for the same deal we paid... no one was willing to meet that price.

A year later... with Durant a year older and coming off yet another season filled with injury, there is no reason to think the market would have improved.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not going to wade into this debate until the season is over. If we win the championship, it was a great trade! If we get knocked out in the first couple of rounds, the trade sucked and we way overpaid as @Mainstreet and @JohnnyCakes have been asserting.

In the meantime, sure is awesome to see Mikal shine as he has been unleashed.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not going to wade into this debate until the season is over. If we win the championship, it was a great trade! If we get knocked out in the first couple of rounds, the trade sucked and we way overpaid as @Mainstreet and @JohnnyCakes have been asserting.

In the meantime, sure is awesome to see Mikal shine as he has been unleashed.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I can say without any doubt that Mikal never would have won Eastern Conference Player of the Week as a Suns. I think we can all agree on that, right?

;)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KD right now. Might be one of the three best players in the history of the game. That is not fan conjecture. I would not have said that myself, those with better basketball knowledge than me are saying it.

I love Mikal, look at my avatar. But perspective.

There is so much more that goes into a trade than the players. Durant would have cost more during the summer, but we would have given up a post season with Durant. How valuable is that. We would never get that back. Chris Paul is getting older. What good does it do to get Durant even later in Chris Paul's career? There was no negotiating a better deal, it was this deal or no Durant.

About the picks. For the next year or two they are going to be negligible. Fans always overvalue draft picks. Remember the famous Laker pick we traded for Mikal? K has found ways to get good players outside of the draft. Okogie is an example.

The last move in putting together a championship team is the hardest. Going for Kevin Durant with that move is about as good as you can do.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson