Was the WR core grossly overrated?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are the passes being thrown, but those aren’t the passes IN THE OFFENSE.

Last weeks final pass to Keesean had Isabella running a crossing route underneath.

Today’s TD pass was an out-breaking route between the hashes (or near them).

Those bubble screens are supposed to open up the middle zones, but we don’t get to them because Fitz is washed and can’t get five yards downfield anymore.

so much truth

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
We should have traded Fitz to a contender years ago so he could of had one more shot to win a SB. It would of been a move that should of been made probably Arians last year here or sooner.

That would of been a gracious way out of his salary but we don't apparently think like this.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We should have traded Fitz to a contender years ago so he could of had one more shot to win a SB. It would of been a move that should of been made probably Arians last year here or sooner.

That would of been a gracious way out of his salary but we don't apparently think like this.
Folks realize Fitz could have been requested a trade(even nicely) if he truly wanted to leave, right?

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I love Larry and all he’s done for this team and city, but I’m afraid Father Time has finally caught up with him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No. I'm fine with our receivers. I honestly think Fitz and Kirk are capable of 1000 yards each.

This system give them very little to work with. Everything is quick and short. 99% of passes are to comebacks, outs or stationary receivers. There so little thrown in front of a receiver in motion so they can get more yardage or take it to the house.

Basic concepts such as slants and crossing routes don't exist.

Its a tough offense for a WR. So much of the yardage that's there for other receivers just isn't there for them the vast majority of the time.

They are surviving on a diet of scraps.
I don’t think so. In fact, other Nuk I was really concerned coming into the year. And I’m even more concerned now.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We desperately need to add more speed with Wr group. A big speed WR will be drafted next year, maybe even two.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sad truth is we can’t afford Larry Fitzgerald unless he comes wayyyyy down on his contract price.

I’m sure he’s got a little game left in him, but there’s too many holes on this team to pay him 11 million bucks a year to basically be the team mascot.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I thought they were and said so. Hop is a beast but that's all we really added to our skill players on offense and right now it's Hopkins and Murray vs the defense

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The sad truth is we can’t afford Larry Fitzgerald unless he comes wayyyyy down on his contract price.

I’m sure he’s got a little game left in him, but there’s too many holes on this team to pay him 11 million bucks a year to basically be the team mascot.
Is this a post from 2018?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’m growing tired of KK’s tired excuses that he’s not calling A good game early on. His play calling was atrocious the 1st 2 series, while the D was a complete sieve. He’s the HC & it’s his responsibility to get this team ready to play a 1 pm east coast game! After Carolina scored after having a 3rd & 19, it was obvious the D was going to be an issue. I knew all week it would take 35 points to win this game. That’ll be the case until Baker returns & is healthy. On the 2nd series, why the F are we throwing long on a 3rd & 2????? It was like BA was back. That just opened the door to a 14-0 deficit right out of the gate. On 3rd & 2, Murray’s legs will get that first down like 95% of the time!! And the D is horrible. I f’ing hate VJ’s entire defensive mentality. He absolutely has to go. I cannot watch this style of D for the rest of the season. If I were Keim, I would make it very clear that either Simmons plays or VJ goes. It’s obvious this isn’t a playoff team, so get his a$$ out on the field. And oh, btw, our OL still sucks a$$.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m growing tired of KK’s tired excuses that he’s not calling A good game early on. His play calling was atrocious the 1st 2 series, while the D was a complete sieve. He’s the HC & it’s his responsibility to get this team ready to play a 1 pm east coast game! After Carolina scored after having a 3rd & 19, it was obvious the D was going to be an issue. I knew all week it would take 35 points to win this game. That’ll be the case until Baker returns & is healthy. On the 2nd series, why the F are we throwing long on a 3rd & 2????? It was like BA was back. That just opened the door to a 14-0 deficit right out of the gate. On 3rd & 2, Murray’s legs will get that first down like 95% of the time!! And the D is horrible. I f’ing hate VJ’s entire defensive mentality. He absolutely has to go. I cannot watch this style of D for the rest of the season. If I were Keim, I would make it very clear that either Simmons plays or VJ goes. It’s obvious this isn’t a playoff team, so get his a$$ out on the field. And oh, btw, our OL still sucks a$$.

Kliff’s playcalling didn’t airmail a wide
Open Fitz for what would have been an easy 30 yard (or more) gain on the first series... while under zero duress.

there’s plenty of blame to go on everyone on offense but I hope Kyler isn’t burying his head in the sand about his play like you are because if that’s the case he’s never going to get better.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kliff’s playcalling didn’t airmail a wide
Open Fitz for what would have been an easy 30 yard (or more) gain on the first series... while under zero duress.

there’s plenty of blame to go on everyone on offense but I hope Kyler isn’t burying his head in the sand about his play like you are because if that’s the case he’s never going to get better.

My son Justin (cardsfanmd) got married this weekend, so I was forced to listen to the game while logging in 8 hours of driving today. Tomorrow I’ll do my best to watch it. Murray didn’t play well last week, so I’m sure he’s not entirely blameless today either. He surely statistically started slow today, but did manage to throw 3 tds. without a pick today. He did fumble though! The Carolina announcers did say that our OL was making their DL look better than ever & that their OC was calling the best game of his career. And just like last year, every time our offense does score & gain some momentum, our D then allows teams to have 15 play touchdown drives.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was team draft Lamb and was crucified for how much I screamed for it. Lamb was Best player on the board. Cards had a LB corp already. A Hopkins and Lamb combo would be hard to stop!

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was team draft Lamb and was crucified for how much I screamed for it. Lamb was Best player on the board. Cards had a LB corp already. A Hopkins and Lamb combo would be hard to stop!
I would have been more pro Lamb if I knew Campbell would have Simmons stuck on the bench for the entire season. I still think OL is the major problem. Apparently the O-line improvement at the end of last season was a mirage.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Those are the passes being thrown, but those aren’t the passes IN THE OFFENSE.

Last weeks final pass to Keesean had Isabella running a crossing route underneath.

Today’s TD pass was an out-breaking route between the hashes (or near them).

Those bubble screens are supposed to open up the middle zones, but we don’t get to them because Fitz is washed and can’t get five yards downfield anymore.

Oh ok. Sorry your right. They are in the offense, we just barely ever use them. I believe that's called a difference without distinction.

Also can't remember throwing many bubble screens to Fitz. Nuk, Kirk and Isabella though have had plenty with the same results.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I saw plenty of shallow crossing routes this game, but maybe you're talking about something different. After 3 picks vs. Detroit and a terrible first series Kyler reverted back into being Captain Checkdown. He was afraid of pushing the ball downfield and it showed. I haven't given up on the offense as a whole, but I am so done with those sideline WR screens to start each series. That play is so overused and I'm suspicious its being called solely as an easy completion to try and boost Kylers confidence.

You see plenty of them run, you don't see many of them thrown. Watch this 2nd video with the dumb throw to Kirk. He has two players open in the flat both running crossing routes yet delays and goes for the 1% short to Kirk in coverage.

There's a combination of problems. Kliff doesn't call them much (there's too many quick passes outside the numbers) and when they are run Kyler can't/won't find them.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Honest question. Why would they do this unless Kyler can't handle more?

A number of reasons. Kyler struggles to see over the O line or get the ball velocity required without sailing the pass. They don't trust the O line to protect him long enough. They are overly concerned about him getting sacked and so they are sacrificing variety for speed. And screens and quick throws are a core tenet of Kliff's scheme.

Add them all together and you get 25 x 4.7 yard passes.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately it looks this way.

Time to move on.

It happens to all players.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A number of reasons. Kyler struggles to see over the O line or get the ball velocity required without sailing the pass. They don't trust the O line to protect him long enough. They are overly concerned about him getting sacked and so they are sacrificing variety for speed. And screens and quick throws are a core tenet of Kliff's scheme.

Add them all together and you get 25 x 4.7 yard passes.

This may explain what is happening now but I hope it doesn't define the future of the Cardinals offense because these plays are limiting and not hard to figure out especially if done repeatedly.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We hate to admit it but Fitz is running on empty

Last edited:

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We hate to admit it but Fitz is running on empty
Fitz was open more often then not ... gosh, if youf midget QB can't see over the middle and see where your open WR are than it doesn't matter if it's fitz, Kirk, Isabella, Arnold, Drake (all were multiple times open) you don't get the completition and your WR/TE/RB corps looks way worse than it in reality is. Hopkins looked week the last two week as well, not over 20 mio a year worth...

And D will take the rushing lanes and short passes away and we will struggle as long as Kyler can't find the crossing, slant, go routes in the middle or find the open guy down field...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You see plenty of them run, you don't see many of them thrown. Watch this 2nd video with the dumb throw to Kirk. He has two players open in the flat both running crossing routes yet delays and goes for the 1% short to Kirk in coverage.

There's a combination of problems. Kliff doesn't call them much (there's too many quick passes outside the numbers) and when they are run Kyler can't/won't find them.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The 2nd one yeah he should have gone underneath but he also got hit in the face as he threw it. I think he was just trying to get it out where if the WR doesn't get it nobody does. It wound up that the Wr broke up a possible INT so he should have taken the shorter throw. I think he TRIED to be safe there but because of the hit he was throwing off the back foot and couldn't get enough on it and nearly compounded the mistake with a turnover.

He has to check that down AND be safe with it