Was Kyler benched?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know we can’t believe everything we read but there was a story on Facebook that suggested Kyler was benched more based on performance rather than the hamstring issue.
Of course we will probably never find out if this is/was true because this organization and head coach wouldn’t dare do anything to hurt Kyler’s feelings.
I would up my respect for this staff if indeed Kyler was told to sit and watch a game.
I’m sure Kyler had a hammy issue but was it enough of an issue to not be able to play? Was this staff worried that the Rams would put too much pressure on him and put further strain on his hammy?
Maybe Harry can do a little digging on this rumor.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
I know we can’t believe everything we read but there was a story on Facebook that suggested Kyler was benched more based on performance rather than the hamstring issue.
Of course we will probably never find out if this is/was true because this organization and head coach wouldn’t dare do anything to hurt Kyler’s feelings.
I would up my respect for this staff if indeed Kyler was told to sit and watch a game.
I’m sure Kyler had a hammy issue but was it enough of an issue to not be able to play? Was this staff worried that the Rams would put too much pressure on him and put further strain on his hammy?

I absolutely believe he was benched. He is not good at his job

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
If you had even a slight hamstring injury and your legs were your mobility, would you take a chance behind that O Line against Donald?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you had even a slight hamstring injury and your legs were your mobility, would you take a chance behind that O Line against Donald?

In a division game to stay relevant and have any chance at the playoffs? Yes.

I think McCoy had 2 run's the whole game. No reason Kyler couldn't play without using his legs.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This question will be answered on Monday night.

If he was benched then there is no reason to unbench him after McCoy did well.

If Kyler plays Monday it was hammy related. If he doesn't he was benched.

A very minor hamstring pull does not take 2 weeks to get right.

The6

All Star
Reaction score
Bench a man making all that money ? Never happen. Also, he'd rip the coach a new hole if he ever mentioned it

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
In a division game to stay relevant and have any chance at the playoffs? Yes.

I think McCoy had 2 run's the whole game. No reason Kyler couldn't play without using his legs.
Go back and read all of the doomsday posts and comments, when Hudson was ruled out...Everyone talking about Donald licking his chops...This was going to be a "get right" game for LA, etc, etc, etc. There was zero evidence that the Oline would perform well, based on the last few weeks. Even if it was just the slightest hamstring issue, the team wasn't going to risk their $250 million investment to further injury. Hindsight being 20/20, it's easy to say he should have played, but again, there was no evidence the Oline would hold up. Also, it's not necessarily about designed runs, but Murray being able to escape the rush up the middle, when the pocket collapses (which everyone expected to happen all game long).

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes you just adjust and change your game If your a transcendent talent you should be capable of making yourself a pocket passer. Much like McCoy who had a decent game. Yet whise more talented?

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Yes you just adjust and change your game If your a transcendent talent you should be capable of making yourself a pocket passer. Much like McCoy who had a decent game. Yet whise more talented?
Read my follow up post.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Maybe he could have played vs Rams, but with the way the Rams have been playing and with a backup QB, having Kyler sit was the right move.

Monday night vs 9ers a much bigger matchup.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This question will be answered on Monday night.

If he was benched then there is no reason to unbench him after McCoy did well.

If Kyler plays Monday it was hammy related. If he doesn't he was benched.

A very minor hamstring pull does not take 2 weeks to get right.

I don't know how anybody thinks they really know about his hamstring. It can take weeks to get to where you can run full speed with a hammy. Last year D Hop played 3 straight games with one and was ineffective in all 3 before the knee injury. Hollywood literally reported to the team with a hammy injury he'd had apparently for weeks and we put him on some IR list for awhile to allow it to heal(offseason).

If the Cards benched Kyler and he's not hurt do we REALLY believe we'd have had him inactive with McSorley as the backup?

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Bench a man making all that money ? Never happen. Also, he'd rip the coach a new hole if he ever mentioned it
the coach is his boss. He is to do what he is told by his superior.

Now I can see KEIM having issue with it, but Kyler doesnt get a say in those matters.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
On this board, any opportunity to bash Murray causes the rhetoric and imagination to run wild. Been following sports for over 55 years. Never seen anything like it.
I’ve never seen anything like it…part of this fan base is literally rooting for the kid to fail. “Ya let’s start Colt McCoy over Kyler.. that’s the solution! He will so learn a lesson from that and it will be best for the not only the immediate success, but long term success of our franchise!” - said no one ever with more than 3 brain cells.

I don’t care if you are in the I Hate Kyler Crew (IHKC), he’s a midget, he plays COD etc…. Be realistic people and stop the extreme hatred. Ya, he’s not playing well. Ya, Colt beat an uninspired John Wolford team… but Colt isn’t leading this team to any relevant success, our future relies with Kyler whether you like it or not.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
On this board, any opportunity to bash Murray causes the rhetoric and imagination to run wild. Been following sports for over 55 years. Never seen anything like it.
That’s because no one was pounding the table saying Max Hall was good, and no one was pounding the table saying Carson Palmer sucked. If people would just accept Kyler for what he was, 50% of the conversations surrounding him would cease. What you’re seeing is fanboys blindly defending Murray, causing endless back and forth.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That’s because no one was pounding the table saying Max Hall was good, and no one was pounding the table saying Carson Palmer sucked. If people would just accept Kyler for what he was, 50% of the conversations surrounding him would cease. What you’re seeing is fanboys blindly defending Murray, causing endless back and forth.

Dude. Go back into those threads and you'll find that LOTS of people were saying that Max Hall was good.

Joking right ? Comical

Name three people on this board who are literally rooting for Kyler Murray to fail. My name shouldn't be on that list.

You can recognize a player's shortcomings (LOL) and still hope they improve upon them.