Warriors @ Suns Tuesday game thread 10-25-2022

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is why you dont alienate Jae Crowder. Cam's a bench player and that's totally fine, but if he continues to play like a pedestrian, that 72 mil wont be there anymore for him.
Jae Crowder can **** and fall in it.
Cam Js numbers are just as good as Jae's, we may lose a lil in defense but get real Crowder couldn't guard Giannis or Luka or many top players anyway.

By the end of the year Cam will be at 15/7/4 Crowder has never done that in his 45 year career.

No I really don't want to see Cam playing against the big PFs and that's when we can use Dario and maybe Bizz
Or i dunno dump Jae Dario and Shamet for whatever we can get back that has a PF behind his name.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You are being specific about scoring. McGee did way more than score. He anchored the bench defensively. He was a big body that kept teams and the paint honest.
Yes he was. No denying that. Landale doesn't do that. However, he does a lot of other stuff a lot better than Javale did. So the key is to weigh whether Javale's positives outweigh Landale's postives. From what we have seen, IMO they do not. Landale's strengths more than make up for his weaknesses when compared to McGee. I'm not sure that applies to McGee.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Last year? 100%. That exact scenario played out several times last year when Ayton was in foul trouble.

Not the same thing. Cam Johnson is a starter. He is averaging 4 rebounds through the first 4 games which is atrocious. The entire reason the Suns have been looking for another PF is to shore up the inside and not leave it just to Ayton.
Really missing that 1 more rebound and 2 less points Crowder gave us?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really missing that 1 more rebound and 2 less points Crowder gave us?
There is a reason why the Suns have been looking for another PF aside from Crowder. Had the Suns been able to upgrade the PF position, Crowder was going to the bench or getting traded anyway. Slotting Cam J into the starting PF position is not an upgrade....SO FAR. It's still early.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah poole is incredibly talented. But his maturity seems awful.

And I thought the same about kuminga. Surprised to see he isn’t a full time contributor. Understand he’s young but he really flashed last year. I expected a step forward. Happy it hasn’t come yet.

And while wiseman wasn’t a disaster he still doesn’t maximize his raw physical talents.

If the switch ever turns on for those two and poole matures you’ve got a helluva future.

For Wiseman he just missed so much time I'm not surprised. on sheer talent with no idea what he's doing he's putting up 11PPG in 18 minutes, 5 boards, almost a block. He hasn't figured out NBA rim protection yet he's often too far away and thus late to get there but the potential is there. If he can stay healthy and continue to learn he still has a shot to be really good. The nice thing is you routinely see him in games listening to Draymond or Looney telling him something he did wrong or did right, just being willing to listen is important.

The team is going to get better but i've said it all along losing Porter and Payton was a big deal 2 of their 3 best defenders(Draymond) .

The local talk today is that Klay just isn't in good enough shape yet they took it very easy with him in the offseason out of fear of re injury and that's why he's on a minutes restriction but they don't think he's just done. I sure hope that's true, so far he looks done.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He shouldn't. We need Landale to spell Ayton. Who is going to do that if Ayton goes to the bench or Ayton gets in foul trouble? Biz seems to be out of the rotation for now.
No reason why he can't spell Ayton AND play some PF. He is 26. He can handle the minutes.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No reason why he can't spell Ayton AND play some PF. He is 26. He can handle the minutes.
The starters tend to go to the bench around the same time. He can't back up two positions at once. Then if Ayton gets into unexpected foul trouble his rotation gets even more screwed up. I am sure Monty wants a regular rotation. Swapping him constantly by position doesn't sound like a Monty tactic either.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The starters tend to go to the bench around the same time. He can't back up two positions at once. Then if Ayton gets into unexpected foul trouble his rotation gets even more screwed up. I am sure Monty wants a regular rotation. Swapping him constantly by position doesn't sound like a Monty tactic either.
Of course he can't play both positions at once, but he could in theory come in for Cam first and then stay on the floor for Ayton after. This would get him some minutes in both spots, but more at C. Just don't know who else we really have to play that backup PF position. Hopefully Saric is able to give us some meaningful minutes at some point this season.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McGee is a starter in name only. He is a good rim runner and a good weak side defender but where Jock really beats him is, so far at least, is that Jock can hold his own if forced to defend away from the hoop. Last year we had many games (and almost the entire playoffs) where McGee was basically useless because teams would force him to defend away from the rim and he simply isn't fast enough to rotate around the perimeter.

McGee is best in short bursts, he gets gassed quickly and he fouls way too often to be used consistently as a starter.

He hasn't had a season where he averaged over 25 minutes a game in a decade and only once since then has he even cracked 20 minutes.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can agree on that Giannis is an amazing player too. I haven't seen teh Grizzlies this year so I haven't seen Ja's defense

After about 5 minutes of tonights game I'm going to change my mind and agree with Cheese that Giannis is more complete. My goodness end to end for a layup then gets back and blocks a shot. Got called for a foul but unreal

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After about 5 minutes of tonights game I'm going to change my mind and agree with Cheese that Giannis is more complete. My goodness end to end for a layup then gets back and blocks a shot. Got called for a foul but unreal
he's a freak of nature that gets every ounce of freak out of himself possible. dude is ALWAYS giving you 200% of himself. that's rare with any player, but more so with the guys who are naturally freakish like him.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course he can't play both positions at once, but he could in theory come in for Cam first and then stay on the floor for Ayton after. This would get him some minutes in both spots, but more at C. Just don't know who else we really have to play that backup PF position. Hopefully Saric is able to give us some meaningful minutes at some point this season.
I am talking about spacing of minutes. That means he could be on the court for an extended period of time. Which means now you have to stick with Ayton longer. If Ayton gets into foul trouble now you have to bring him right back in. Monty likes to space out minutes even for his bench. We really really need another PF.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am talking about spacing of minutes. That means he could be on the court for an extended period of time. Which means now you have to stick with Ayton longer. If Ayton gets into foul trouble now you have to bring him right back in. Monty likes to space out minutes even for his bench. We really really need another PF.
We need a combo guard more.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Or just start playing Saric???

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I was very happy with our defensive effort. We don't always bring that every night. Booker is on fire. Also Booker looks like he is taking his game to another level. We need Ayton to level up. Bridges shows us flashes. We need Bridges to be more consistent on offense. Cam J obviously has to move up a level to remain a starter. He still looks like he's finding his way as a starter. Hopefully, Lee had just a struggle night against his old team and is able to bring it the rest of the year. Landale has been improving each game seemingly! The way this team played in preseason, I expected a 2-2 start, or even a 1-3 start with this stretch of teams. We are just a few free throws made from possibly being 4-0 to start. 3-1 exceeds my expectations. Very happy with our start.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Jock has been a very positive addition. Maybe my new favorite bench player on the team.

If Payne, Craig and Saric can contribute like they did two years ago, then we have a pretty good bench. I mean both Payne and Craig can hit the three. Then one of Lee or Shamet hopefully can hit a couple of shots.

Bit disappointed that Bridges and Cam haven't shown more so far, I'm hoping they still will in a couple of weeks. They have some growing up to do.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
Seems GSW knew they couldn't beat Suns without either A), going ballistic from 3 or B), get Ayton in foul trouble. Once they realized the refs weren't going to bail them out on the Ayton front, and couldn't get enuf 3's, they collapsed. But their defense looked pretty bad at times.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or just start playing Saric???
I trust that there is a reason Monty is sitting Saric and Biz. There must be something he is seeing in practice to take them out of the rotation.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's most definitely Torrey Craig and Jock Landale that has taken them out of the rotation.
I am surprised by Torrey Craig making a little mini-comeback. I thought he was done. We were not talking about just a couple game stretch where he was bad. He was bad for a long stretch.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Craig’s resurgence from unplayable to playable has been a nice surprise. He was truly atrocious last year after being a nice complimentary piece off the bench in the finals run.