Warner Takes Aim; Hits Foot

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
One of the sadder scenes this off-season has been the negotiations between Kurt Warner and the Cardinals. I can understand Warner (or Warner’s wife’s desire) to get a fair contract. I also understand Warner took the Cards to unprecedented heights last season and should get some money retrospectively for being underpaid for those accomplishments. Still, Kurt’s tossed out some errant passes in his time here, and none missed the mark by more than this one.

Warner’s position is over the edge. First, we’re talking about a 38 year old QB. There is no upside, but clearly a possible downside. Second, who else stepped up to offer him a decent contract and a chance to start after he was hung out to dry by his previous associates? He wants gratitude from the Cards, but where’s his gratitude for getting the chance to show he could still play.

The Arizona package includes the best receiver in the NFL and certainly the one that provides more completions on marginally thrown passes than anyone else in the picture. The offer also likely includes the easiest path in NFL to the playoffs. The Jets and now the Niners need a QB. Does anyone see them playoff bound with Warner at the helm?

The worse part of this mess is that it wasn’t resolved before free agency started. Warner is hurting the team’s chances of improving themselves for another run at the Super Bowl. Without extraneous factors, Warner’s age, history and performance would likely justify a $10 million, two-year contract. Throwing in a couple of million per year to reward him for last season seems acceptable and that’s the Cards’ offer. Beyond that it’s Leinart time. Thank Mr. Warner for his efforts and move forward. Use his money to sign a couple of quality free agents and improve the team. Find out if the Cards’ still have a franchise QB on their roster, even with Warner gone.

If Warner and his agent want to do a Gordon Gekko impersonation that’s fine, but the Cards should set an immediate deadline and move on. We should all admire Warner’s play and contributions. He’s a great guy to have associated with the team. However, if his personal goals impede the team’s success, then it would seem best for both parties to agree to move forward separately.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
As i said in the Whiners, Lambs, Or........ thread.
The agent wants to make as much money as he can!
He knows the Cardinals are going to pay X amount.
If he can boost that amount or find another buyer he's doing his due dilegence.
There is a huge commission difference between 10 million and 14 million.
Everyone wants to blame Kurt and now Brenda? Yet no one looks at the agent!

Come on?

Kurt is going to get his money one way or the other.
All that is happening here is the agent is trying to get paid as much as he possible can.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kurt is going to get his money one way or the other.
QUOTE]

Only if the Cards cave in. He will get his money no doubt how much is the question. But from the Cards it better be no more than they are offering now.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The best teams do not over pay for players. They pay fairly for what they get and they get enough talent to make sure they stay competitive.

The Redskins pay top dollar for many of the best players, but the talent isn't deep enough (at least it has not been recently) and they still lose out.

I have no problem with the Cardinals having a price and sticking to it... its not being cheap, its using the cap wisely. If the Cardinals feel they can give Warner 11 million and get enough other talent, I want Warner... if the Cardinals feel they can spend that 11 million on 2 other starters and start Leinart, I'm fine with that.

For all the bashing Graves receives, he has done more to keep this team full of talent than many GMs across the league with only a few bad contracts on his resume.

I want Warner starting next year, but if he goes and signs for 14 million with the Niners I'm not going to blame that on Graves, I'm going to blame that on business and hope that we can use that money to put more talent around Leinart.

CHAPTER 7

Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand Kurt. he said he wants to stay here and retire. Okay he shouldn't have said that for negotiation purposes. But I take that a genuin statement and I thank him that he wants to end his career here. And i think he said he wants the core players to be in tact. So all the thing he said, with salary caps, why the hell is he asking for $29M per year contract? I know his agent wants to make top $ but if Kurt really meant what he said, he should shut his agent up. Supposedly Cards offered $10M per year. That's more than fair to me. And now K Collins signed, this offer should be more than enough to complete this negotiation.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think some of you guys take this stuff too seriously. When Warner takes the field in game 1 for us, no one is going to care about any of this. Just like no one gave a damn last September about all the posturing and things said during Fitz' renegoitation last year.

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
Kurt's not going anywhere! Don't read this much into it! :mad:

Reaction score
Warner’s position is over the edge. First, we’re talking about a 38 year old QB. There is no upside, but clearly a possible downside.
Thank you!

Second, who else stepped up to offer him a decent contract and a chance to start after he was hung out to dry by his previous associates? He wants gratitude from the Cards, but where’s his gratitude for getting the chance to show he could still play.

The Arizona package includes the best receiver in the NFL and certainly the one that provides more completions on marginally thrown passes than anyone else in the picture. The offer also likely includes the easiest path in NFL to the playoffs. The Jets and now the Niners need a QB. Does anyone see them playoff bound with Warner at the helm?
I was listening to some radio program earlier today, Cowherd I think. He was going on about how there isn't another situation in the NFL as perfectly tailored for Warner and his skills as are the Arizona Cardinals. I completely agree.

The worse part of this mess is that it wasn’t resolved before free agency started.
Exactly!

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good thread. I am seriously glad there are some sensible people on this forum. I can't take the negativity and assumptions that are rampant lately.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Here is the $64 question:

How much of this is Warner and how much of this is Bartelstein (his agent)?

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I still wonder where everyone is getting the $8-10M price tag as being fair for a top QB. The total salaries of the top 5 QB's in 2007 was $62M($12.2M avg.). In 2008 it jumped to $78M($15.3M). If it goes up another 20%+ in 2009 the average total salary for the top 5 QB's will be around $20M per year.

Warner isn't asking to be the highest paid QB or asking for make-up money, he's just asking to be paid what a QB that produces at his current level is being paid around the league. He has continually expressed a desire to stay in Arizona and keep the team together yet he is a villain for not taking a discount?

I mean, he didn't ask to restructure his deal he is a FA trying to get his value for what he can produce right now. Not to mention a little security in knowing that his contract is a starter's contract showing a real commitment to him. I don't blame him for not agreeing with the Cardinals play it safe attitude toward his contract.

Cody

i love defense
Reaction score
I still wonder where everyone is getting the $8-10M price tag as being fair for a top QB. The total salaries of the top 5 QB's in 2007 was $62M($12.2M avg.). In 2008 it jumped to $78M($15.3M). If it goes up another 20%+ in 2009 the average total salary for the top 5 QB's will be around $20M per year.

Warner isn't asking to be the highest paid QB or asking for make-up money, he's just asking to be paid what a QB that produces at his current level is being paid around the league. He has continually expressed a desire to stay in Arizona and keep the team together yet he is a villain for not taking a discount?

I mean, he didn't ask to restructure his deal he is a FA trying to get his value for what he can produce right now. Not to mention a little security in knowing that his contract is a starter's contract showing a real commitment to him. I don't blame him for not agreeing with the Cardinals play it safe attitude toward his contract.

and if he was 10 years younger there would be no issue in signing him. but he is 38 and an overall injury prone player. you can't pay him as if he is 28

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score

When he's asking $14-16M that's what Peyton Manning is making. I have problems with us signing him for Peyton Manning $. 8 is low and I will give you that, but when the Cardinals went to $10-12M, there should have been a handshake involved. :mad:

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score
and if he was 10 years younger there would be no issue in signing him. but he is 38 and an overall injury prone player. you can't pay him as if he is 28

Agreed! Well put! :(

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Only if we're talking about a long term deal. 1-2 years for Peyton money isn't outrageous because at worst, the Cardinals are going to get stuck with 1-2 bad years of contract they have to eat. I mean, that's really worst case scenario. Warner might get hurt but so might Peyton.

The point is, Warner wants to be paid like Peyton because he's putting up better numbers than Peyton. He plays better in the playoffs and he's only got one contract left. If he was asking for a 3, 4, 5 year contract it would be lunacy. But $14M for 4,000 yards and 30 TD's? That's not outrageous at all.

Cody

i love defense
Reaction score
But $14M for 4,000 yards and 30 TD's? That's not outrageous at all.

you're exactly right..but its a gamble..he might put up those numbers...or he might just do the opposite..so whether the cards are willing to take that chance, it is up to them. but if it was guaranteed hed get 4,000 yards and 30 TD's then obviously they wouldn't have a problem paying the man