Warner Takes Aim; Hits Foot

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Q was the SECOND best receiver in the NFC as judged by players, coaches and fans this past season. Virtually any other receiver in the National Football League with the possible exception of Andre Johnson would not be the best wide receiver on the Cardinals. He actually came back faster than expected from the savage hit in the Meadowlands.

The team needs to honor their word and make him an generous offer before the draft IMO. As Whis said, he laid it on the line for the team, now it's time for the team to step up to the plate and compensate him, not with a Fitz-level contract, but with something in 8-9 million range.

And Boldin should keep his mouth shut and let his agent do the talking.

And Warner should butt the hell out of the Boldin situation. Totally obnoxious in my opinion.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Didn't misread the post at all. When someone starts off their post with "you guys crack me up" and "you get your panties in a twist" expect a response.
How does any of that equate to him telling people what they're allowed to post? He wasn't telling people what or what not to do, just laughing at the fact that so many are getting so vested in it.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How does any of that equate to him telling people what they're allowed to post? He wasn't telling people what or what not to do, just laughing at the fact that so many are getting so vested in it.

Laughing at the fact people post about reports from the local and national media?

Isn't that about 80-90% of the posts at this time?

Including yours?

Cody

i love defense
Reaction score
The Bidwells are cheap and won't do anything to have a good QB in
Arizona.

you ******. i'm glad you're not in charge of signing him. he is not worth the 14-16 million hes asking for

:bang:

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
The $12 million that Farve received last year from the Jets really sets the bar for me.

But I still wonder how much Warner's age affects negations because it makes it difficult for the Cards to give him a signing bonus that is cap friendly if that bonus accelerates when/if Kurt retires.

You mean how the Jets set the bar with that wonderful Calvin Pace signing and 20 million upfront?

So if another team does something really stupid that is the standard we should go by.:?

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Laughing at the fact people post about reports from the local and national media?

Isn't that about 80-90% of the posts at this time?

Including yours?
I can certainly see the humor in how much I get involved in 100%, waste of my time sports fanaticism. The fact remains that the poster didn't say I, or anyone else, should or shouldn't do anything.

He was making an observation and stating his point of view. The "don't tell me what I can do" response was misguided.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You mean how the Jets set the bar with that wonderful Calvin Pace signing and 20 million upfront?

So if another team does something really stupid that is the standard we should go by.:?

That the Jets move was really stupid with both Farve and Pace is simply your opinion and doesn't make it fact.

How the two played is irrelevant. (though they both contributed to kicking the living daylights out of the Cardinals and if we had Pace chasing BR instead of our over the hill gang we might have won the SuperBowl and Pace had an excellent year considering his $2.8 million cap number.) What is relevant is what the market is doing.

Seeing what is being paid to FAs again this year shows the Jets were simply paying market prices last year. To me Warner is in a similar situation as Farve was. An old QB coming off a great season. Market value $12 million for one year.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Pace had an excellent year considering his $2.8 million cap number.) What is relevant is what the market is doing.

20Mil upfront for Pace was stupid. We weren't in any kind of position to make such an offer last year. Apparently they were, and overpaid. It's going to hurt them going forward, when the market adjusts itself coming in the near future. The Jets are making Redskins type moves. It'll hurt them in the long run. Who do they have going forward to lead them now? They signed a high priced vet and let someone (Pennington) go to a rival to lead their revival.

Look at the Patriots who build a perennial winner through drafting and fiscal responsibility good coaching and fundamentally sound football. They draft the best player that fits the mold in their system. That is what this football organization needs to do as well. Take plenty of young talent develop them and incorporate them into the team.

We did that well, last year with all our rookies, and I'm looking forward to it happening again.

What the market does is swing wildly up and then comes way back to Earth. Look at what people paid for ridiculous house prices the last few years. And the lenders laughed all the way to the Grand Caymans with no fiscal responsibility.:mad:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
20Mil upfront for Pace was stupid. We weren't in any kind of position to make such an offer last year. Apparently they were, and overpaid. It's going to hurt them going forward, when the market adjusts itself coming in the near future.

I wish I had $100 for every time I've heard that take. I could buy a bunch of foreclosures. It NEVER hurts them financially!

I'd bet that if Pace were a FA this year and had played his entire career with the Jets, plenty of people here would think that contract would be great if we could get his pass rushing skills to Arizona for a $2.8 million cap hit. Especially since our #1 need is a pass rushing OLB!

People just don't understand that you have to overpay for other teams' players. Obviously they wouldn't leave otherwise - unless they have some kind of personal problem with the franchise.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Interesting comment from graves from azcentral.com

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2009/02/28/20090228cardswarner0301.html

Cardinals General Manager Rod Graves declined to talk about specifics of negotiations but said the Cardinals offer "is fair in light of other objectives. We want to re-sign Kurt, and I had hoped we would have completed his contract by now so we could focus our attention on other personnel objectives."

That is what I want to hear. No reason to sacrifice team objectives by signing Kurt to a rediculous deal. Looks like they are prepared to let him walk if needs be.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you ******. i'm glad you're not in charge of signing him. he is not worth the 14-16 million hes asking for

:bang:

Cody, calling someone a ****** isn't appropriate. Please watch this in the future.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Interesting comment from graves from azcentral.com

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2009/02/28/20090228cardswarner0301.html

Cardinals General Manager Rod Graves declined to talk about specifics of negotiations but said the Cardinals offer "is fair in light of other objectives. We want to re-sign Kurt, and I had hoped we would have completed his contract by now so we could focus our attention on other personnel objectives."

That is what I want to hear. No reason to sacrifice team objectives by signing Kurt to a rediculous deal. Looks like they are prepared to let him walk if needs be.

Doesn't it seem like all Graves can do is focus on one player at a time?

Whether Warner signs or not, the Cardinals should still be able to focus on other personnel objectives.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Doesn't it seem like all Graves can do is focus on one player at a time?

Whether Warner signs or not, the Cardinals should still be able to focus on other personnel objectives.

Sounds exactly like the opposite. His focus is on the team as a whole.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Sounds exactly like the opposite. His focus is on the team as a whole.

Different context. Graves is focusing on what he (or Mike Bidwill or KWhisenhunt since we really don't know) thinks is best for the team which is not the same as focusing on each players specific contract situation.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Different context. Graves is focusing on what he (or Mike Bidwill or KWhisenhunt since we really don't know) thinks is best for the team which is not the same as focusing on each players specific contract situation.

How the hell do you, me, or anyone that isn't working on these contract, really know any details of how the Cards work? Mitch loves ripping theFO so of course Graves has the ability to only work one deal at a time, even when logic says otherwise. Typical Graves bashing.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
How the hell do you, me, or anyone that isn't working on these contract, really know any details of how the Cards work? Mitch loves ripping theFO so of course Graves has the ability to only work one deal at a time, even when logic says otherwise. Typical Graves bashing.

Well considering how things have changed recently with the Cards you may be right, but as in anything you do in life you can make some very good educated guesses on things that are happening even when you don't have direct knowledge if you look at past results, news articles, conversations with former employees, etc.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm positive you are correct. So the question becomes is over paying Warner, having him get hurt the 4th game of the year and Leinart starting anyway, minus 14 million on the cap going to help the team?

Which perception is better? Overpaying for an older, veteran qb or letting the older QB walk away?

Either way, if it goes right for the Cardinals... no one says anything. If it goes badly for the Cardinals we get 'same old Cards' from fans and media.

I agree TigToad, but if Warner is allowed to walk (right or wrong) the vast majority of fans and media will say it is the same ol Cards and the same ol cheap Bidwills.

They will be hollering that it is '98 all over again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard