Warner says Palmer is best fit for us

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beanie for Palmer anyone?

ALL DAY! And twice on Sundays! Even though I think we would have to give up minimum 3rd rounder as well. Which I would still do.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
ALL DAY! And twice on Sundays! Even though I think we would have to give up minimum 3rd rounder as well. Which I would still do.

I agree and like I have said before I still like Beanie but Palmer is a QB who can provide production and veteran leadership like Warner did.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably not a ton IMO. But Warner is very familiar with the system and Bulger for sure so he probably inquired as to what he thought. Always good to do your research and get the opinion of people you trust.

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
What leverage do the Bengals even have?

Palmer is coming off a below average season, has publicly stated he would retire before playing another down in Cincy, and the Bengals are about to give some nice $$ to their QBOF with the red hair.

Beanie + a 3rd round pick? No way. If Graves can't negotiate a better deal than that he's the one that should retire.

OP
OP
bg7brd

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we pull off this trade, then the draft looks even more impressive IMO.

OP
OP
bg7brd

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Palmer is coming off a below average season, has publicly stated he would retire before playing another down in Cincy, and the Bengals are about to give some nice $$ to their QBOF with the red hair.

Beanie + a 3rd round pick? No way. If Graves can't negotiate a better deal than that he's the one that should retire.

There's probably going to be other teams bidding the price up.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Leverage? How bout we have the worst QB siutation in the entire NFL. That gives them all the leverage without question.

I would give up the overrated ASFN HOFer in Beanie and a 3rd and not even think twice. For a QB of his caliber? That's a steal.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh Kurt is just copying what several of us said here during the season.

:D

I do agree though, Bulger is 34, Palmer is 31. Both have had injuries and are not long term solutions but Palmer is 32 months younger than Bulger.

I think both fit the system in terms of accuracy and ability to make the throws, it's just that Palmer has to prove he's healthy, and Bulger has to prove he can play a full season.

Hasselbeck fits too but like Bulger can his back stay healthy a full year in our system where the QB gets hit a lot.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

You have to take into consideration what other teams are willing to offer. I have seen rumors of the Seahawks interested as well--we could be in for a bidding war.

Think about it...Charlie Whitehurst was traded for a 3rd round pick and a swap of second rounders...Whitehurst had nowhere near the pedigree or ability that Palmer does now and obviously with Seattle looking for a QB still he isn't who they expected.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leverage? How bout we have the worst QB siutation in the entire NFL. That gives them all the leverage without question.

I would give up the overrated ASFN HOFer in Beanie and a 3rd and not even think twice. For a QB of his caliber? That's a steal.

My question is do the Bengals have interest in beanie because he played at TOSU, or do they just see him as a lot like Corey Dillon and maybe with a change of scenery that would come out?

I have no issue trading Beanie or THT, I think Williams makes one of them expendable, I'm just curious are people suggesting Beanie because they prefer THT, or because they think the Bengals prefer Beanie?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh Kurt is just copying what several of us said here during the season.

:D

I do agree though, Bulger is 34, Palmer is 31. Both have had injuries and are not long term solutions but Palmer is 32 months younger than Bulger.

I think both fit the system in terms of accuracy and ability to make the throws, it's just that Palmer has to prove he's healthy, and Bulger has to prove he can play a full season.

Hasselbeck fits too but like Bulger can his back stay healthy a full year in our system where the QB gets hit a lot.

Palmer if his heart is in it could be an easy 3 to 5 year fix while you groom Skelton.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to take into consideration what other teams are willing to offer. I have seen rumors of the Seahawks interested as well--we could be in for a bidding war.

Think about it...Charlie Whitehurst was traded for a 3rd round pick and a swap of second rounders...Whitehurst had nowhere near the pedigree or ability that Palmer does now and obviously with Seattle looking for a QB still he isn't who they expected.

And Palmer played for Pete Carroll in college so yeah if Seattle is involved it's going to up the price.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no issue trading Beanie or THT, I think Williams makes one of them expendable, I'm just curious are people suggesting Beanie because they prefer THT, or because they think the Bengals prefer Beanie?

Because he is the only one under contract. HE is the only one you can trade. Unless you did a sign and trade deal with timmy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Palmer if his heart is in it could be an easy 3 to 5 year fix while you groom Skelton.

I don't personally think Skelton will ever be our QB but I admit I haven't seen him enough to say that with much confidence.

But if he is, yes Palmer is a perfect bridge QB, and if he's not, we'll have plenty of time to find another next QB.

Palmer isn't going to do what Warner did, but he if he's healthy he'd be very good in Arizona I believe.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because he is the only one under contract. HE is the only one you can trade. Unless you did a sign and trade deal with timmy.

Oh so you're expecting me to consider trivial things like rules ? :D

That makes sense. I have no preference at this point a year ago I wanted Beanie over THT, now I don't particularly care so if we can't trade Timmy then Beanie it is.

I didn't think we needed a RB but when Williams fell to us I was glad we picked him and now it just makes sense to move one.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Palmer is coming off a below average season, has publicly stated he would retire before playing another down in Cincy, and the Bengals are about to give some nice $$ to their QBOF with the red hair. Beanie + a 3rd round pick? No way. If Graves can't negotiate a better deal than that he's the one that should retire.

Dalton is a 2nd round pick, so he won't be top dollar. I heard guys on NFL channel talking about this and they said it ought to be really hard for Palmer to walk away from the $11mil he will be paid for next season

Maybe he will walk, maybe not. I think there is a good chance he just shows up at their camp and gets ready to play for that kind of money. Plus Bengals don't want to trade him anyway. Classic pissing contest. jmho

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dalton is a 2nd round pick, so he won't be top dollar. I heard guys on NFL channel talking about this and they said it ought to be really hard for Palmer to walk away from the $11mil he will be paid for next season

Maybe he will walk, maybe not. I think there is a good chance he just shows up at their camp and gets ready to play for that kind of money. Plus Bengals don't want to trade him anyway. Classic pissing contest. jmho

Yup. Thats the likely end result anyway. He ends up playing out in Cinci.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Palmer for a 3rd is marginally more appealing to me than Kolb for a 2nd. Palmer also has a huge contract, but the length is shorter. We'll still need to look for a qb of the future, but the cost is less. For those who watched him a lot, Palmer's play last year was pretty frightening, even considering the two stooges.

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
Palmer for a 3rd is marginally more appealing to me than Kolb for a 2nd. Palmer also has a huge contract, but the length is shorter. We'll still need to look for a qb of the future, but the cost is less. For those who watched him a lot, Palmer's play last year was pretty frightening, even considering the two stooges.

:yeahthat:

That's my point. Coming off that season, plus Palmer's obvious disdain for the entire organization, plus Andy Dalton means Beanie plus a 3rd is just too much IMO. Every team knows this, and will be submitting lowball offers. A 3rd plus a 5th won't get it done?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Bulger was the best?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I guess I'm giving Palmer too much credit but I tend to believe him, I think he's made a lot of money already and realizes at this point in his career he wants to be happy and playing on a team that fits him.

I think he's fed up with all the nonsense in Cincy, and rather than ask them to get rid of TO and Chad he just said get rid of me. I know 11 million is a lot and he probably would change his mind, but right now I actually believe him he'll retire if they don't trade him.