Wanted: A REAL Offensive Coordinator-apply AZ Cardinals

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I'm talking about someone who takes over game plans and play calling. This is something that management should be demanding from KK. I'm not calling for his firing although his overall performance for the last half of the season was very disappointing. To state the obvious this team was held by the dramatic underperformance of the offense. It isn't the only issue, but it is the most frustrating IMO.

I thought Vance Joseph did a decent job considering he lost his #2 cornerback for the second year in a row, lost his starting free safety for virtually the entire year and lost 3 of the top 4 (Peters, Jones, Phillips) members of the front 5 for a huge chunk of the season. It isn't an excuse but it is a reason. There is only so much a DC can do with an absence of a consistent pass rush and a lack of consistent cornerback play.

The most pressing player needs IMO are an injection of good, young cornerbacks and upgrading the interior of the offensive line.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think kliff needs to be a oc than hire a new hc who smart with to and game management decisions

Im just not sure who us available to hire as oc

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
2020 vs 2019 (Offence)

2020: Yds per game: 385 (6)
2019: Yds per game: 342 (21)
2020: rush: 140 (7)
2019: rush: 125 (10)
2020: pass: 245 (17)
2019: pass: 217 (24)
2020: QBR: 94.1 (15)
2019: QBR: 87.0 (18)
2020: sacks: 29 (12)
2019: sacks: 50 (27)
2020: 3rd down: 39.7 (22)
2019: 3rd down: 36.0 (23)
2020: Pts per game: 25.6 (13)
2019: Pts per game: 22.6 (17)

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No way Kliff is going to hand over the keys to someone else. Pipedream of the highest order.

He has a bigger chance of being fired than him not calling plays.
Than let's all pray he is gone i just don't see cards making a deep poff run with him

And the hc circus keeps going lol

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kliff mentioned in one of his interviews this year that he would not be interested in any football role where he is not calling the plays. Its basically, I call the plays or I'm out.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Than let's all pray he is gone i just don't see cards making a deep poff run with him

And the hc circus keeps going lol

We need to pray that the team starts to gel. KK is going to be the coach for the next 1-2 years during KM's rookie contract, so it has to work now.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way Kliff is going to hand over the keys to someone else. Pipedream of the highest order.

He has a bigger chance of being fired than him not calling plays.

Exactly. He was asked about handing over some or all of the play calling to someone else (paraphrased on 98.7 again recently) - like an OC or special assistant - and he responded that if someone else is calling the plays then he most likely WAS fired by the team because that's HIS responsibility. No way he's taking a backseat to anyone else.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. He was asked about handing over some or all of the play calling to someone else (paraphrased on 98.7 again recently) - like an OC or special assistant - and he responded that if someone else is calling the plays then he most likely WAS fired by the team because that's HIS responsibility. No way he's taking a backseat to anyone else.
He needs to learn and not be so stubborn.

NFL, not for long.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He needs to learn and not be so stubborn.

NFL, not for long.

He has been learning and not been stubborn. His 'Air Raid' offense has completely changed from where he started. You can say a lot about KK, but not learning/adapting isn't one of them.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Tom Clement was the guy who was supposed to be the NFL vet who would help KK transition

not sure if its working

it seems like Kuegler / Heiden have done that on the run game

i threw Dirk Koetters name out as a guy who will need a job soon, doesnt want to be a HC and has a lot of College and NFL experience

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has been learning and not been stubborn. His 'Air Raid' offense has completely changed from where he started. You can say a lot about KK, but not learning/adapting isn't one of them.
Like throwing the bubble screen over and over?

Clock management?

There are plenty more areas for him to learn and improve on.

But you know that already since you are watching the same games I am.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kliff mentioned in one of his interviews this year that he would not be interested in any football role where he is not calling the plays. Its basically, I call the plays or I'm out.

Imo he doesnt have that leverage

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

The way he uses Hopkins 90 percent of the time to one side says otherwise. Thats just too easy to defend and for some reason he believes its going to work.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The way he uses Hopkins 90 percent of the time to one side says otherwise. Thats just too easy to defend and for some reason he believes its going to work.

100% this. Also add lack of pre snap motion to help get guys in space or to the edge. Every week KC seems to have guys wide open. Either the other team doesn’t have a defensive game plan, or KC is just that good at offensive schemes. I think it’s because KC adapts so well. Would love to see more from KK

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Give me a break. Just because he isn't learning/adapting at everything doesn't mean he isn't adapting at other things.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One thing he definitely isn't learning is that the east/west bubble screens gain nothing, so he keeps calling them. I think we just got stopped for another 4 yard loss lol?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One thing that gets me is the lack of creativity. I know he can do it, he showed us that in 2019. He showed us he can use multiple personnel groups also in 2019 that work. Yet in 2020 he stops doing all of that. There's a play I talked about in another thread from last year that was so creative. The one where Maxx Williams scored the long TD against the Falcons in 2019. Larry was making fun of the way Williams ran. Kirk swung out into the right flat in motion, Kyler acted like he was gonna throw it to him. Maxx ran a delayed route towards the left sideline, the whole Falcons defense bought it & went to Kirk's side, Maxx was wide open. That play was absolutely brilliant. I remember thinking at the time, "we got us a coach that will keep defenses guessing" boy was I wrong. He hasn't used that play since, let alone anything close to that creative. The time he spends watching film he talks about, where's the creativity at? I thought this guy would be hell bent in the off-season drawing up plays with creativity but he wasn't it seems. He's talked about the NFL being a copy cat league, everyone draws up plays from other teams plays. Ok Kliff, start copying some of the stuff Andy Reid runs & come up with your own versions. Use that time at the office as a copy cat. I know we don't have the weapons that the Chiefs have but the concepts, routes, trickery & misdirection can be used with what we have. I hope KK turns it around, I really do. I bleed Cardinal red through & through & became a fan in 1976 when I was in the second grade. Hopefully he spends this off-season designing stuff that works & meshes with what he's comfortable doing? Minus the bubble screens lol.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Give me a break. Just because he isn't learning/adapting at everything doesn't mean he isn't adapting at other things.

He's not learning or adapting nearly enough to succeed. Play calling, and not just the bubble screen. Using nuke. Solving the penalties/instilling a sense of discipline. The 2 minute offense. That deserves repeating, as he's so putrid: the two minute offense. Clock management. Taking stupid risks at bad times and not taking risks when you should (playing for FGs) and when you MUST (punting on the season). The list goes on. What is he learning/adapting at that offsets all of this?

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Its an inexcusable lack of strategy to line your wr on one side of the field for 90 percent of the snaps.

Thats called Art of being defeated.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
2020 vs 2019 (Offence)

2020: Yds per game: 385 (6)
2019: Yds per game: 342 (21)
2020: rush: 140 (7)
2019: rush: 125 (10)
2020: pass: 245 (17)
2019: pass: 217 (24)
2020: QBR: 94.1 (15)
2019: QBR: 87.0 (18)
2020: sacks: 29 (12)
2019: sacks: 50 (27)
2020: 3rd down: 39.7 (22)
2019: 3rd down: 36.0 (23)
2020: Pts per game: 25.6 (13)
2019: Pts per game: 22.6 (17)
You must be registered for see images attach

Are you trying to use real facts? lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we can all predict what KK is going to do in given situations, I imagine the opposition can as well. Obviously, at some point you want to get to where that doesn't matter and even if they know what you're going to do you execute it so well so often that it just works. We are nowhere near that. I'm not saying the guy has to be groundbreaking in any way but where is this "creative genius" we were all sold on? Where is the "Air Raid" that was supposed to revolutionize the game? Some of the most boring play calls in Cardinals' history every week including so many short tosses where the WR or RB is expected to get massive YAC in order to get close to a first down. SMH.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They are not bringing in an OC or someone to take over play calling.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopkins started running some plays on the right that last few games.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave