Waiting to trade Crowder

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We may never know but I suspect they went to JJ expecting a new contract and were informed that not only would Jae no longer be the starter, he'd have to take a pay cut to remain. He turned so bitter almost over night that I figure it had to be something like that. And we didn't hear about him staying home until a month or two later but who knows how and when that was decided.

In the end though, I believe we had a valued player that was being moved to the bench to make room for CamJ AND to save money. I'm confident that Sarver pulled the strings on this one, just like he pulled the strings on extensions for CamJ and DA the year before. I think we're better off with a healthy CamJ starting but losing Crowder was and still is stupid IMO. He could have been a great momentum changer off the bench.

I suspect there is more to the story but Cam Johnson is in a similar situation and he is still on the team.

I'm of the fundamental belief, unless there are extraordinary adverse circumstances, a player should honor his contract.

The Suns have a number of players with 1-year contracts on the team.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Crowder speaks. So, he is saying he was pushed out and it sounded like the Suns didn't want to pony up for a 32 year old player. This JIBES with the Suns not putting out a statement denying the story that Crowder was pushed out early on when this all broke. They had every opportunity to deny those early reports and they never did. Instead another narrative was out there Jae wanted out. Well....if they didn't want to extend him, he felt like they didn't appreciate him as a result....that jibes too but it sure sounds like he didn't initiate this.

So there it is. Take it how you want.

This doesn’t make sense to me. The Suns didn’t want to extend him. Some how they wanted to honor his contract but not want him in the building? Pretty sure with all these injuries they could use his help. just me personally I rather pay an employee to be at work not sit at home.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crowder speaks. So, he is saying he was pushed out and it sounded like the Suns didn't want to pony up for a 32 year old player. This JIBES with the Suns not putting out a statement denying the story that Crowder was pushed out early on when this all broke. They had every opportunity to deny those early reports and they never did. Instead another narrative was out there Jae wanted out. Well....if they didn't want to extend him, he felt like they didn't appreciate him as a result....that jibes too but it sure sounds like he didn't initiate this.

So there it is. Take it how you want.

Did this really clear up anything? We still don’t know if it was Jae’s decision to sit or if the Suns basically banished him with salary.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect there is more to the story but Cam Johnson is in a similar situation and he is still on the team.

I'm of the fundamental belief, unless there are extraordinary adverse circumstances, a player should honor his contract.

The Suns have a number of players with 1-year contracts on the team.
I think we lowballed him to save money and because we hoped to use him as part of a trade that never happened. Had this been all on Jae, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have given him a paid vacation. Remember, we didn't have to pay him, that was our decision.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This doesn’t make sense to me. The Suns didn’t want to extend him. Some how they wanted to honor his contract but not want him in the building? Pretty sure with all these injuries they could use his help. just me personally I rather pay an employee to be at work not sit at home.
It doesn't make sense now but nobody knew we'd be down 7 players. We could have forced him to come in but obviously we gave him permission several months ago to stay home and still get paid. I don't even know if we can go back on that now just because we need him - pretty sure the Players Association would take issue if we tried to use the play or no pay option after already publicly saying we'd agreed to let him stay home.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we lowballed him to save money and because we hoped to use him as part of a trade that never happened. Had this been all on Jae, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have given him a paid vacation. Remember, we didn't have to pay him, that was our decision.

Crowder was only under contract through this season. He had a guaranteed contract.

If he thought he was worth more than the Suns offered beyond this season (if they made an offer), that's what free agency is for.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crowder was only under contract through this season. He had a guaranteed contract.

If he thought he was worth more than the Suns offered beyond this season (if they made an offer), that's what free agency is for.
Okay. But that has nothing to do with what I said. The organization made a deal with him to pay him and let him stay home. That's on us. We could have said report and play or we will dock you everyday you miss. We chose to not do that and we announced it to the world.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay. But that has nothing to do with what I said. The organization made a deal with him to pay him and let him stay home. That's on us. We could have said report and play or we will dock you everyday you miss. We chose to not do that and we announced it to the world.

I think Sarver would have preferred not to pay Jae but given the investigation findings being released when all this came to head, he would have been skewered in the media for withholding Jae's salary whether he was in the right or not. Jae used the timing to his advantage.

That's all just theorized by me but the timing of it all makes sense. Sarver isn't the type to cut a check unless he has to and he basically had to at that point or players other than Jae would potentially turn on him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not a fan of the way the Suns handled the matter. I'm only reacting to what I know.

Again there may be something we don't know. Actually I believe this will probably be the case. I don't disagree Sarver may have been involved.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the way the Suns handled the matter. I'm only reacting to what I know.

Again there may be something we don't know. Actually I believe this will probably be the case. I don't disagree Sarver may have been involved.
I'm not a fan of the way this turned out. I have no idea who to be upset with though, we just don't know how it all went down. But when in doubt, if there's money involved, blame Sarver - you'll always have a fair chance at being correct.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. There is definite more to it than meets the eye.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
This may be out of place here but does anyone remember life before the internet? In my case, long before the internet. As a native of Phoenix I was thrilled when we got the Suns, in the 60’s. We got a little info from the sports page and the 5 minute sports coverage during the news. Things were so much less stressful then. Now people spend hours a day on the internet arguing, bitching with each other. This seems to be such a time waster as our comments do not change anything. It seems to me back then we made better use of our time with family, hobbies etc. sorry, go back to what you were discussing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This may be out of place here but does anyone remember life before the internet? In my case, long before the internet. As a native of Phoenix I was thrilled when we got the Suns, in the 60’s. We got a little info from the sports page and the 5 minute sports coverage during the news. Things were so much less stressful then. Now people spend hours a day on the internet arguing, bitching with each other. This seems to be such a time waster as our comments do not change anything. It seems to me back then we made better use of our time with family, hobbies etc. sorry, go back to what you were discussing.
I hate the internet, not sure I could live without it though.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Oh, I go on the internet. But tonight I was at a neighborhood party and me and 5 other guys discussed the KK, KM, SK and new head coach and new GM situation in about 20 minutes. Just like the old days. It was refreshing. No arguments, just a sharing of opinions. You had to be there to appreciate it.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Social media is as much a threat to human civilization as climate change is. We're raising entire generations of people who don't know how to interact with one another and who fundamentally don't care about anything in the real world.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't need the internet back then.

I listened to Lee 'Hacksaw' Hamilton and his high speed sport wire on the radio.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Social media is as much a threat to human civilization as climate change is. We're raising entire generations of people who don't know how to interact with one another and who fundamentally don't care about anything in the real world.
I think this is a gross overgeneralization. While I acknowledge the flaws of the internet with the younger generation (I see it virtually every day with my boys), these younger generations (as has been the case in almost every era) remain the primary driving force in generating social equality change, and trying to work through things like climate change. Those are things that literally have to do with interacting with one and other things going on in the world. If anything the internet my have fundamentally changed how they do those things, and with whom they do it. Failure to recognize that makes us 40-80 somethings anachronistic cloud-yellers. Remember how videogames supposedly destroyed our generation in our parents eyes . . . yeah that.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What is your opinion on a deal that centers around Ayton and Crowder for Trent and VanVleet.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's not a horrible idea.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
What is your opinion on a deal that centers around Ayton and Crowder for Trent and VanVleet.

I'd rather go after Siakam.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

That sounds like a deal just to get off Ayton’s contract. It will be interesting to see what happens if things keep getting worse over the next month. They’re not rushing Book back and Cam shouldn’t risk anything before restricted free agency.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm 50ish so I can still read a map and have a sense of direction. I would be fine w/o the internet, I'd be fine w/o a toilet as well doesn't mean I want to do it.

Im not fine without wipes though, then finishing with a drying wipe.

If we do get rid of Ayton for Trent and VanV, then do we shift our bench assets towards C's and PF's. Washington and Lee will not have much trade value due to their length of contract and amount. They did boost their value though.

Or do week keep those two and try to move Shamet later? Dario this year? I'm just wondering how much the new owner is willing to go over the cap. So many questions.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That sounds like a deal just to get off Ayton’s contract. It will be interesting to see what happens if things keep getting worse over the next month. They’re not rushing Book back and Cam shouldn’t risk anything before restricted free agency.
Well yes and no.

I'm unfortunately coming to the conclusion that Ayton may never take the next step, and if he doesn't we can get 80% of what he does with much cheaper center options. He just does not seem to be stepping up, so it might be best to trade him before the rest of the league realizes he's not going to as well.

I think the team would be much more competitive with two more scorers capable of creating their own shot, and a sub par center like Jock.

In today's NBA it's just better roster construction to spend your money on guards and wings, because the game is mostly won and lost at the 3 point line.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well yes and no.

I'm unfortunately coming to the conclusion that Ayton may never take the next step, and if he doesn't we can get 80% of what he does with much cheaper center options. He just does not seem to be stepping up, so it might be best to trade him before the rest of the league realizes he's not going to as well.

I think the team would be much more competitive with two more scorers capable of creating their own shot, and a sub par center like Jock.

In today's NBA it's just better roster construction to spend your money on guards and wings, because the game is mostly won and lost at the 3 point line.
Ayton has to want to go AND he has to want to go to the team you want to send him too. Likely if the Suns trade him it won't be until he no longer has the right of refusal.